Apr 16

Illustration for Espresso application startscreen

2009 at 01.52 pm posted by Veerle Pieters

Moleskine doodles & sketches

Some of my doodles and sketches for the Espresso illustration.

Espresso illustration, try 1

My initial idea was to create an illustration around coffee and caffeine, using a dark brown background with a jute fiber structure in combination with some bright colors.

Espresso illustration, final

The final illustration.

Read the full story about the process behind the Espresso illustration on the Duoh! blog.

permalink this comment Bene Fri Apr 17, 2009 at 12.58 pm

Hi, I like the final illustration a lot, you can feel the color love from within :) Can you tell a little bit more how you did the background? I love the dark brown background in the second illustration. Great work!

permalink this comment Vasili Fri Apr 17, 2009 at 02.35 pm

I really do love the second one, it’s a shame that MacRabbit couldn’t have used that one. :( The final product is gorgeous though. :D

permalink this comment Veerle Pieters Sun Apr 19, 2009 at 04.15 pm

Thank you for taking the time to comment :)

Bene said:

It’s not that difficult once you’ve found a nice jute texture image to start from. Place the texture in a new layer on top of the layer with the background color. Use a Hue & Saturation effect on it (I didn’t, but I guess you could opt for a Layer Effect) by setting the Saturation to -100, so it looks as if it’s a greyscale image. Then change the layer mode to Overlay. This way the underlying color, the brown, will come through and the texture works as an ‘overlaying’ effect. Tweak the transparency a bit of the texture image layer to make the texture a bit more subtle and softer.

permalink this comment caruso_g Mon Apr 20, 2009 at 02.26 pm

Now I now why I liked so much this illustration… ;)

permalink this comment aaliyah Wed Apr 22, 2009 at 01.42 pm

woaaaaaaaa…*as usual* ur work is byuuuuuuuurifull, Veerle..

permalink this comment bene Mon Apr 27, 2009 at 06.42 pm

Thanks for the explanation, i’ll sure try it once.

Art/type elsewhere

Alexander Girard

Alexander Girard-inspired fonts and objects.

view in detail