May 20

Pattern Maniac

2008 at 05.25 pm posted by Veerle Pieters

Lately I have a fascination of geometric patterns. This creation is based on my Moleskin pattern sketch from before.

Pattern Maniac

My alternate version

Pattern Maniac (v2)

permalink this comment Mrs.Ceed Tue May 20, 2008 at 06.06 pm

I love this! Good job, totally inspiring i think i have to give the latest tut a try thanks! :D

permalink this comment Janine a.k.a. Ms.Bananahama Tue May 20, 2008 at 08.39 pm

i love this toooooooooooooo!!!!!
veerle, i don’t know how you do this?!?!?! i’ve been trying to draw some patterns lately…inspired by your work…but i’ve been having such a hard time!!! *shoot*
does this stuff just come up to your mind while you’re drawing?

permalink this comment kristarella Wed May 21, 2008 at 01.29 am

Love it! Definitely like the first one best.

permalink this comment Veerle Wed May 21, 2008 at 09.03 am

Thanks :)

Janine a.k.a. Ms.Bananahama said:

does this stuff just come up to your mind while you’re drawing?

Yes, exactly like that. Most ideas come in the middle of my process. I’m trying out things, experimenting, moving things around and then it suddenly hits me. I had a whole different idea in my head when I started this. I thought of doing a full pattern background (the smaller ones). They gradually change in color as you can see, so I thought that would be nice effect. In the center of the background I would create an irregular gap to put my text in. It was nice though but too busy for my taste so I tried something different and came up with this.

permalink this comment billseymour Wed May 21, 2008 at 05.31 pm

A Q about the gradients in the patterns: it looks to me like you are confining the gradients to the ‘inside’ of the pattern, and are avoiding a gradient change right at the edge. Am I correct about this? I would imagine that it would be difficult to get a gradient to work at the edge ‘joining points’ of a repeating pattern.

Strong, elegant, and playful pattern.

permalink this comment Veerle Wed May 21, 2008 at 06.31 pm

billseymour said:

It looks to me like you are confining the gradients to the ‘inside’ of the pattern, and are avoiding a gradient change right at the edge. Am I correct about this? I would imagine that it would be difficult to get a gradient to work at the edge ‘joining points’ of a repeating pattern.

I’m not sure I understand your question. If you are referring to a repeating pattern in the strict sense, take a fragment and repeat it like a pattern fill in Photoshop, then no I didn’t do anything intentionally like you mention because I wasn’t after a repeating background like that. It would look as if I was though because it is repeating in shape, only not in color. I wanted variation in colors but have it change gradually from one color to the other via a gradient effect. So because of that it isn’t possible to take a fragment and have it perfectly joining. Hope this answers your question. Thanks for the compliment ;)

permalink this comment flyelephant Fri May 23, 2008 at 06.46 am

cool

permalink this comment Jan Fri May 23, 2008 at 11.40 am

Looks sporty fresh. I love it!

permalink this comment mightee-mouse Tue May 27, 2008 at 11.59 pm

Great choice of colours and I like the fonts you used. :))

permalink this comment Tom Mon Jun 2, 2008 at 02.42 pm

Hello Veerle,

Beautiful pattern. I just wanted to share this article about patterns, but maybe you have seen it already. Anyway thanks a lot for inspiring us.

permalink this comment Abhilasha Tue Jun 17, 2008 at 02.26 pm

i got to know abt ur work after ur “how to make ribbon” tutorials….Its then i thought of going through ur site.Its really amazing the way u try different things in so simple manner.Really will be learning a lot frm u.
Thanks a lot.

Art/type elsewhere

Alexander Girard

Alexander Girard-inspired fonts and objects.

view in detail