Sep 29

16 Years Illusion, Sportpaleis Antwerp

2003 at 05.59 am posted by Veerle Pieters

On Friday September 26th I went to Sportpaleis Antwerp to see Chicane live for the first time and hear Armin Van Buuren’s gig, number 5 on the list of the world’s best DJs… The party started around 11 p.m. with a live act from Chicane. The crowd was warming up at this early night hour and Chicane did a good job bringing the crowd in the mood. Especially the singing artists were giving their best of themselves combined with the nice effect of bongos, drums, flute and saxophone,... it all created a southern effect. Flashes of Ibiza were projected on video screens (Pacha logo, road signs to San Antonio Ibiza, an airplane, sunsets etc.). NICE!

Around midnight DJ Woud (from Sylver) did his act for an hour, the crowd went wild! Now the party really got going. We were holding our breath for the next DJ since he is one of world’s best DJs (number 5 on the list)...

Around 1 a.m. Armin Van Buuren gave the best of himself. The show was very impressive, lots of lights fireworks and glitters falling down etc. The crowd went wild, everybody dancing, whistling and clapping their hands. It was the first time I saw Van Buuren live and I must say I was really impressed, it did remind me of Ti�sto in Arnhem. It brought back memories of that great event and Armin played the same kind, which I love so much, the best of trance!

Armin Van Buuren4 p.m., my feet were killing me already, but I couldn’t wait to hear Jan Johnston singing. And there she was… This was the 2nd time I saw her live and again I was impressed about her act. She has a very nice voice that suits so perfect on those trance tunes. And of course she sang the latest single “Venus” of Cor Fijneman who actually played later on around 5 a.m. I have seen him live at Amnesia Ibiza, not bad at all, very good actually, but still no Ti�sto or Van Buuren ;-)

Soon after Jan’s performance, DJ Reggie (of Milk Inc) also played for 45 minutes or so and the crowed kept on dancing. He started off with the new single of Milk Inc, a cover of Aha (The Sun Always Shine On TV). Nice, still a bit too commercial for my taste. Further on he played a few more commercial dance tunes just like DJ Woud but they certainly got the crowd behind them because they are very popular here. They know what they are doing to get everybody clap their hands or start to whistle.

5 a.m. Cor Fijneman’s turn…. Sorry Cor, but my feet are really hurting, time to go home and catch some sleep !

See the pictures of 16 Years Illusion

permalink this comment doh! Mon Jan 26, 2004 at 01.53 am

Sorry but I still don’t get it. The dj does not ‘make’ music, he does not create a melody, a song, a story. He just mixes one i to the other or after the other.
And people pay to see this happen?

I’d rather see a gardner mow the lawn, an architect lay out a fresh sheet of paper, a blonde’s first visit to the gyneacologist. O wait they have shows on that.

permalink this comment Veerle Mon Jan 26, 2004 at 02.09 am

Hi, I think you might missing the point of being a good DJ, I understand your reaction though. These top DJ’s are doing more then just mixing records (even that isn’t easy as it sounds). The ones I know like Armin, Roger Sanchez or Tiësto are making records also. They can sense the atmosphere and play records accordingly to get the crowd moving, and that’s a gift.

permalink this comment FreStyle Tue Mar 30, 2004 at 02.32 pm

Yeah sure thing,
it’s not like pushing PLAY, wait ‘till the song comes to an end, push the STOP button, get another Lp from the box, come back and put on another one.
They have an eye on the crowd constantly, they know how to react when the crowd gets bored…it’s a very stressfull job i guess, becaus they have a reputation to keep an hold of, they shouldn’t or couldn’t disappoint their fans…Well hey, that’s my opinion

permalink this comment christopher crippen Wed Aug 4, 2004 at 09.29 am

hey, i just started reading your blog and enjoy it very much!  avb is one of my favorite dj’s have seen him a couple of times here in LA @ Spundae and the show is just amazing.  i saw tiesto last year and there is nothing that compares to him.

permalink this comment Patrick Fri Nov 26, 2004 at 08.59 am

16 Years Illusion was super. I had a great time with Armin, Cor, Jan and the other DJs at this party.
To bad I couldn’t go last year because I was on vacation at that moment.
I’ve also made a small video clip of that evening, but I don’t have a server with enough web-space and bandwith.
http://dancechoice.mine.nu/AvB_16_Years_Illusion.avi (clip with the song Burned with Desire (Kyau vs. Albert Remix) from Armin van Buuren, about 8 minutes / 50Mb)

permalink this comment dj E=mc 2 Sat Jun 11, 2005 at 10.10 am

Blending tracks to something new and exited that is what mixing is about

I really think this whole clubscene is drugs-big money-dumbness-sleazyness-pure decadence.

Dj tiesto is the new thing and will pass.

But djs as Stacey Pullen or Juan Atkins are forever to stay. (a musical opinion)

But MTV reigns, so is dance culture being cheap and dumb. Ever heard of people actually dying of drugs, it fucks up your mind.

permalink this comment Matt Therapy Fri Aug 5, 2005 at 04.28 am

I think Tiesto is a very well-marketed product, rather than a particularly good DJ.

His technical ability is not all that good - I suspect that if you put him in a situation where people were unable to see that it was *him* playing, their reaction would be very different.

In my opinion DJs like Tiesto and Armin are an inevitable result of the commercialisation of the clubbing scene. Now I don’t think it’s necessarily a bad thing, although it’s not quite to my taste. I’m sure that people have a good time when they go and see these DJs - I’ve had some great nights at big events myself - but I’ve found the best nights I’ve ever had have been in the most unlikely places, with DJs I’ve never heard of before.

And this what I think makes clubbing so good - that someone who is virtually unknown is capable of giving a dancefloor the best night they’ve ever had. Big names often don’t have much more to offer people than pre-released tracks which are unavailable to the public. Their stature does not always reflect their ability to move a crowd.

I’ve been involved in dance music for 13 years now, and was resident at a london club for the last 4 years. During that time, I’ve played alongside some reasonably well-known names, and on almost every occasion their performance alone was nothing special, and in some cases very disappointing. Put simply, big-name DJs are often booked because they can guarantee a certain number of people through the door.

However, before you all accuse me of being over-cynical - this is not the case all the time. Some of the big names have got to the top because they are genuinely extremely talented people, like Sasha, for example.

I guess it all depends what you’re looking for from a good night out. And a great thing about clubbing is that - if you look hard enough - there’s something for almost everyone…

permalink this comment Veerle Mon Aug 8, 2005 at 02.19 am

@Matt Therapy, I must admit that my love for trance music has been changed the last couple of years (this article is from 2 years ago already). The main reason I like going to these kind of ‘bigger’ events is because of the show in its total. Trance was once my favorite genre, but it isn’t anymore. I still like it but not as much as I used to. I prefer deep house much more (Defected, Soulfuric, Hed Kandi etc.).