Jul 27

Belgian outdoor furniture part 1

2007 at 09.12 am posted by Veerle Pieters

It’s Summer time in the Northern Hemisphere and on request of a few readers we look into the world of outdoor furniture design. A sector where Belgian designers apparently are making name and fame abroad. It’s probably due to the fact that we Belgians try to enjoy as much time outside as the weather allows. The garden is becoming an extension of the house and we pay more attention to it.

In this first article I'll focus only on Belgian brands and I'll divide it in two posts. The first two Belgian companies we highlight are Royal Botania and Extremis. If you see something you like you don't have to worry because all of them are very active in the export market :) To be honest I was kinda amazed to learn that our little country seems to be a leader in nicely designed premium leisure furniture. It's nice knowing that despite being a small country, we can produce great things. So now you also know there's more than just chocolate and beer :)

Royal Botania

Royal Botania was founded in 1992 by Kris Van Puyvelde and Frank Boschman, who shared an enthusiasm for developing a unique outdoor furniture line. It started when Frank Boschman met an export agent of Teak garden furniture in India. They ordered two containers but the quality wasn't that great. That's when they decided they could do better. Since day one, the focus has always been on premium quality, well conceived ergonomics and refreshing designs.

O-zon

O-zon is a completely new line designed by Kris Van Puyvelde. A big round table is the central piece with a diameter of 160 cm and room to fit 6 to 8 persons. In the middle of the table there is room for an umbrella. Handy is something called 'Lazy Susan', a big rotating plate in the center of the table, handy to pass around dishes.

O-zon

O-zon chairs

E-Z

E-Z referencing to 'take it easy' is an in-depended hammock. Available in black, cappuchino, orange and turquoise colour finishes.

E-Z

Flexy

Flexy

Flexy

Ninix

Ninix

Ninix

Sunday

Sunday

Sunday

Extremis

Dirk Wynants is the founder, main designer and big boss of Extremis. Before founding the company in 1994 Wynants was already involved in the distribution of international design brands. Extremis claims they don’t do products. They create 'Tools for togetherness' which becomes clear when you look at all their furniture. Dirk has received many design awards, too many to name them all here.
Gargantua

Gargantua is a multifunctional piece of garden furniture, made of durable materials: galvanised metal, stainless steel and teak. Gargantua offers 4 benches and place for 8 persons. Each bench can be placed on 4 different heights: normal sitting height, teenagers height, children’s height or all benches at the top (then it is turned into a giant table offering place for 12 persons). The benches can be taken away to make place for a wheelchair or a highchair. Now also available as an option: cushions & backrests. The backrest can also easily fitted to the existing model.

Gargantua

Gargantua

Extempore

ExTempore

ExTempore

PicNik

PicNik

DoNuts

DoNuts is a surprising table-seating combination. The inflatable seating part carries a polyester table top. When leaning against the highly ergonomic table border, you will experience the comfort of a perfect back-rest. Or when joining the table, there is plenty of space for everybody. DoNuts' seating part looks like a huge doughnut with a 1.9m diameter, allowing at least 6 persons to join the table.

DoNuts

IceCube
This looks like the ideal cooler for garden parties, but this could work indoors as well. The TL lighting unit rests underneath the polythylene cooler and can be blue, orange, green,...

IceCube

IceCube

permalink this comment davidorri Fri Jul 27, 2007 at 09.50 am

Wow some nice design. Funny to read that you think you are so few… I’m from Iceland!
I like the doughnut table, that is clever design.

permalink this comment Antoine Fri Jul 27, 2007 at 09.56 am

Heh, it seems we share he same interest for furniture design…

Very nice article, and very nice pictures !!

permalink this comment Johann Grimm Fri Jul 27, 2007 at 11.44 am

Oh, that’s a great, great article ! I’m in awe ! Plus the photography from Extremis products are really good and funny.

Question: are these companies from Flanders ?

permalink this comment Veerle Fri Jul 27, 2007 at 12.47 pm

Johann Grimm said:

Question: are these companies from Flanders ?

Yes they are, Royal Botania is from Nijlen and Extremis is located in Gijverinkhove

permalink this comment Andreas Fri Jul 27, 2007 at 03.36 pm

Well i must say they really look interesting and beautiful.

Of course it would be the best to also have the same space - let’s call it “garden” with pool - as you can see on the photos from Royal Botania ;)

permalink this comment steve Fri Jul 27, 2007 at 05.05 pm

some great products and images here. love some of the furniture ideas on offer in belgium!

permalink this comment 74designs Fri Jul 27, 2007 at 06.50 pm

These are all great looking.  Living in the hot and dry climate in Arizona, USA, we are a bit more limited in the type of outdoor patio furniture that we can use year round. Metal gets way to hot during the 110F/42C summers. Wood dries out after a year or two causing splinters, and fabric becomes way to dusty/dirty. That only leaves fun plastic!

For Arizona, I really dig the IceCube. The DoNut might work too!!

permalink this comment Jane Fri Jul 27, 2007 at 08.57 pm

All the furniture looks really nice.

I live in England and I have only got a backyard that fits the car in.

I wish that I had a nice outdoor space but not a garden.

permalink this comment Johann Grimm Fri Jul 27, 2007 at 09.55 pm

@74designs : But… plastic + 42°C = serious melting ? No ?

permalink this comment Chris Fri Jul 27, 2007 at 09.58 pm

OMG ... how do you find those places and furniture? Nice shots, keep on the good work :)

permalink this comment Chris Papadopoulos Sat Jul 28, 2007 at 02.21 am

The idea of using a cooler as a light source is pretty nifty. The light is coming from the below, so you have a different atmosphere than normal.

The colors in that photo are stunning with the blue and the beautiful orange sunset as a backdrop.

Depending on how strong the lights in that cooler are, I think you could use something like that indoors and just shut off the other lights for a unique party experience.

permalink this comment ArchitectureMan Sat Jul 28, 2007 at 08.10 am

great man. Perfect ideas. I like a table for an out-of-town house

permalink this comment Serg Sat Jul 28, 2007 at 08.52 am

Cool design. Very nice Gargantua and PicNik

permalink this comment Ignacio Sat Jul 28, 2007 at 10.31 am

I like this. But the picture of the DoNuts table its excelent, really creative for promote it.

permalink this comment Erwin Heiser Sat Jul 28, 2007 at 03.22 pm

Great designs and photography, but their websites could use a little TLC as well :)

permalink this comment Montoya Sun Jul 29, 2007 at 04.01 pm

The promotional pictures with the fake backdrops are great. Something about the mix of real people and artificial furniture really works well.

permalink this comment Pilok Mon Jul 30, 2007 at 04.14 pm

Oh Veerle,

You choose some really great company but , please, don’t forget SOME and Tribù which have some great products too!

But this article is great because so many people ignore that we have real high level furniture companies.

permalink this comment Veerle Mon Jul 30, 2007 at 05.22 pm

Pilok said:

That’s why I said it’s in two parts, so keep an eye on the feed because those two are next :)

permalink this comment Daniel Condurachi Mon Jul 30, 2007 at 06.51 pm

since I was very young I dreamed about designing homes and also furniture. Until now I made just a system of shelfs for myself while I was a student. Maybe one day, when I’ll have the time and the tools I’ll star to create. I have some ideas…

permalink this comment naughtykid Tue Jul 31, 2007 at 03.16 am

The furniture are nice, and the photos are even nicer. I like those photos and how the photographer took it. Cool~

permalink this comment Stephan Tue Jul 31, 2007 at 04.32 pm

I’ll probably be the only one to say this on here but I am not digging the design of the furniture at all.  I think it’s too industrial and monotone for outside furniture. For me, it’s not inviting at all.  I don’t believe you need to sacrifice art for comfort and vice versa.  Just my opinion though! :)

Although I like the coolers and the DoNut is pretty interesting.

permalink this comment ron Tue Jul 31, 2007 at 05.22 pm

(somewhat offtopic)

hopefully royal botania’s furniture is more user friendly than their stupid, annoying flash website.

hey karin (who lives on the other side of the country), theres this really great table you should look at for your patio. heres the instructions on how to naviagate to it…  sorry, there is no link ‘cause its one of those stupid flash websites that furniture companies, designers, architects, and all the rest just love.

permalink this comment Veerle Tue Jul 31, 2007 at 07.32 pm

ron said:

I am agreeing with you 100% and can only hope when they do a redesign somebody will tell them how to build a website that’s accessible to everybody. Flash isn’t bad when used wisely.

permalink this comment chowd Tue Jul 31, 2007 at 09.39 pm

I like it. Beautiful circle table.

permalink this comment qrux Wed Aug 1, 2007 at 12.45 am

I love the photos and info. Thanks for sharing.

permalink this comment luxuryluke Wed Aug 1, 2007 at 05.44 pm

This is wonderful, V.
Great collection of items, and none miss the mark for innovative!

Hilarious that you had a comeback for my flickr ‘most expensive lawn furniture’ post. I’m sure these top that one in price, and surely match it’s quality of design!

permalink this comment 360Gamer Mon Aug 6, 2007 at 08.54 pm

Very nice!

I actually found this blog via del.icio.us, the light motion trail.
Than I saw ‘belgian’
I’m from Belgium too :-)

Also a very nice site ;-)

permalink this comment Mark Van den Meerssche Fri Aug 24, 2007 at 09.22 am

Royal Botania has great stuff. I’m a ‘woodworker’ for fun myself and I find the latest chairs in their SOLID collection very elegant.

I hope they contact you for the redesign of their site. I would love to see the ‘wisely used flash’. They need it.