Jun 10

Blogs, Mad About Design

2009 at 04.29 pm posted by Veerle Pieters

This morning the mail man delivered a huge enveloppe containing what felt like a huge book. The curious type that I am I immediately opened the enveloppe to see what the content would be. Inside was the newest book from maomao publications called ‘Blogs, Mad about Design

Blogs, Mad about Design

Don't know how exactly to translate it into words but a thick 500+ pages hardcover makes me excited. Something real in your hands, the smell of print it makes such nice user experience that can't be replicated online. Awesome content in high quality print on high quality paper, a real pleasure to wade through.

BLOGS Mad About Design

BLOGS Mad About Design

The content is about being online

However the content of this big inspiration book has everything to do with being on the web. As the title of the book suggests it is about blogs that are all mad about design, more than 250 of them to be precise (including mine).

BLOGS Mad About Design

BLOGS Mad About Design

This is a book to look at rather than read as it is an inspiration book. Every blog in the book gets a double page spread. The layout is really nicely done: lots of white space, nice little touches like the grey corner at the top left and subtle color coding (if you can call that) to easily scan what is what. Per spread you see the name, the founder and the URL, white text in a black box, a short description of the blog in a white box with grey border and 3 favorite blogs in a grey box. Everything is connected with a grey dashed line. I'm sure this is a book I'll look into from time to time.

BLOGS Mad About Design

BLOGS Mad About Design

BLOGS Mad About Design

Where to buy

I've been searching the web to find where you can buy this book, but haven't found any site so far. I've looked up the ISBN number (ISBN 978-981-245-715-8) on Amazon, but no luck so far.

permalink this comment Frederik Van Zande Wed Jun 10, 2009 at 06.04 pm

After a long search I found where you could buy that book: http://www.indexbook.com/libro.php?871

shipping costs to Belgium were 13€, If your order is above 50€, you get a free design book. Good deal!

permalink this comment vincent Wed Jun 10, 2009 at 07.41 pm

Nice book. How did you get it?

permalink this comment Nana Yaw Wed Jun 10, 2009 at 10.10 pm

Wow that is very inspiring,is it been sold where?
Please let me Know when you get info.

permalink this comment Nathan Nash Wed Jun 10, 2009 at 10.11 pm

It’s possible it hasn’t hit shelves yet, Veerle probably got lucky and received a pre-release copy :)

permalink this comment Sonny Thu Jun 11, 2009 at 01.54 am

a nice book, is this available online? like in amazon.com?

permalink this comment Veerle Pieters Thu Jun 11, 2009 at 07.10 am

Frederik Van Zande said:

After a long search I found where you could buy that book…

Thank you for the link, but I’m afraid this is not the right book (wrong ISBN number). I think this it’s the previous edition.

vincent said:

Nice book. How did you get it?

I’ve received it by mail. I assume it’s a prerelease copy.

I’ll update the article as soon as I have info on where you can buy it, but as for now I don’t know.

permalink this comment Devon Thu Jun 11, 2009 at 09.03 am

Congratulations on being included in the book, i’m not at all surprised though, i recently stumbled on your blog and am hooked :)
It’s on my list to get as soon as it’s released, hopefully it will be avaliable in the UK as well. :)

permalink this comment Mike Skocko Thu Jun 11, 2009 at 12.45 pm

Are those hyperlinks on the cover?

(One day that won’t be said in jest.)

Congrats on the inclusion. I too am a daily visitor.

permalink this comment JD Thu Jun 11, 2009 at 05.48 pm

WorldCat has it…

Here is a world library entry for the book… looks like it’s from Singapore and only the Singapore Library currently holds it.  Watch the link, the page will update as it makes its way around the world and into the world’s library systems.  This page will also show you retail links as they become available.

Looks definately pre-pub to me.

But I want one now :)

permalink this comment Hendrik Thu Jun 11, 2009 at 07.16 pm

The book has been released October 2008 if you can believe the publishers (http://www.pageonegroup.com/1/hotp-visual-arts.html). It seems that they are only selling it in their retail stores in Hongkong, Singapur, and Taiwan.

I checked Asian DVD online shops (yesasia and play.com) but both do not have that item in store.

The Page One group has a contact form, though.

permalink this comment steve Thu Jun 11, 2009 at 07.21 pm

I can’t wait to get that book!  Being a self taught designer/programmer, I tend to get a lot of inspiration from books like that.
Veerle: big ups for getting your site in there.  I can only dream of having one of my sites published someday :)

permalink this comment Rowan Fri Jun 12, 2009 at 04.54 pm

Gorgeous book, I’ll put that on my wishlist! And congrats on being included in it…you certainly deserve it!

permalink this comment Alexa Mon Jun 15, 2009 at 04.57 am

As much as I love the internet and reading blogs, I still love the feel of quality paper in my hand and I treasure my books more than any web site. I love your blog and appreciate your sharing tips and tutorials. Thanks, Veerle.

permalink this comment Frederik Van Zande Mon Jun 15, 2009 at 02.31 pm

Veerle, the Book I received today, with the other ISBN nr. has a different book cover, it’s not a hard cover, but a soft cover.

But on page 496, the latest design of your blog is featured.
The first page of the book says it’s translated by index books, “first edition in Spanish - 2008”. So I think it’s the same book, but an other language version.

I must say I’m impressed with Index book service. Ordered the books this Thursday, cheap prices, 13€ shipping for 6kg books from Spain to Belgium with UPS, a free book (design ideas 3), and delivered on Monday (2 workdays)

permalink this comment chetan Mon Jun 15, 2009 at 10.19 pm

Nice! I just love reading your blog!

permalink this comment Gis Tue Jun 16, 2009 at 03.05 pm

How incredible xD hihihi the web takes over editorial eh xD hihih

permalink this comment Landon Tue Jun 16, 2009 at 04.01 pm

That’s an interesting cover, considering that the book is about design. However, the interior pages look stunning and appear to be well laid out. Congratulations on your inclusion.

permalink this comment John Fredrickson Wed Jun 17, 2009 at 12.16 am

Wow, that looks like a sweet source of inspiration to have lying around. Please do update when you get more info on purchasing options.

permalink this comment Scott Sat Jun 20, 2009 at 07.30 pm

Looks like a great book! I have been wanting to do a book of our past weddings one of these days. Its very inspirational to see someone with a great site and what looks like a great book. I will be picking one up for sure.

permalink this comment Vicki Mon Jun 22, 2009 at 04.08 am

Just a note to let you know that I checked Amazon today and still no luck.

The strange thing is that I typed the title into the search field and after I had typed just two words, “blogs Mad” the search field filled with the rest of the title. So maybe several people have been trying to find it and they will notice?

permalink this comment shuriken Mon Jun 22, 2009 at 08.44 pm

I want this book. It looks really nice.

permalink this comment Alex Roxbourne Tue Jun 23, 2009 at 06.34 pm

We all love a good design book, I have so many - it drives me crazy not having enought time to study them all. I’ll put that book on my wishlist too! Well done on being included in the Blog book!

permalink this comment Laurens Wed Jun 24, 2009 at 09.55 pm

Still no luck finding a general online (book)store to get it? Would like to read it too, thanks!

permalink this comment heezee Tue Jun 30, 2009 at 01.34 pm

I found it on BookButler, maybe it can help.

permalink this comment James Thu Jul 2, 2009 at 12.48 pm

Looks like a very useful and interesting book, well done for being included!

permalink this comment Sam Tue Jul 7, 2009 at 10.34 pm

Congrats on the inclusion! Looks like a great book, I will keep checking for it’s release, I think they probably sent you a pre release copy.

permalink this comment Ed Hall Wed Jul 8, 2009 at 09.51 am

Veerle

I always have a good look around your site at least once a month for inspiration.  I don’t claim to be a web designer and have just employed a new chap who is a great designer.  It would be great to see this book published online at some point, or at least a list of blogs!  We’re re-designing our site at the mo and we are going to include a blog on it.  congrats on getting yours in there as it is a great blog!

permalink this comment Lisa Wed Jul 8, 2009 at 10.30 am

Whow, great for you to be in the book, congrats!

Where can i purchase the book?