Feb 14

Create a Valentine’s card in Illustrator

2010 at 11.25 am posted by Veerle Pieters

A few days back I created a simple Valentine card for a client’s project. I thought it would be ideal for an Illustrator tutorial as it is created using simple shapes and involved only a tiny bit of Pen tool drawing. In this tutorial it’s all about finding the right composition.

For this tutorial I'm using a document of 600 by 400 px. You might also wonder why I use pink instead of red. Well, here is the thing. Have you ever tried to use red with an opacity of 25% ? You get this weird shade that isn't really appealing to work with and so I with pink on the other hand you start with a way more interesting shade. Overlaying transparent pink shapes gives you this nice vibrant color effect. I know some of you might now like pink, but this is for Valentine.

Create diamond

image

Select the Rectangle tool and draw a square (hold down the Shift key). Select the Rotate tool and rotate the square 45° by holding down the Shift key while rotating. You can also just click the canvas after you have selected the Rotate tool, and enter the value of 45° in the popup window that appears and click OK. Resize the diamond shape using the Selection tool and by grabbing and dragging one of the shape's handlers. You need to hold down the Shift key (to keep the proportion) until top and bottom corner aligns nicely to the borders of your document.

Add gradient

image

Give the square a pinkish Linear gradient(RGB values used: R255, G219, B232 and R255, G0, B114)

Add transparency

image

Go to the Transparency palette and give the diamond an opacity of 25%.

Duplicate diamond

image

Duplicate the diamond by selecting the shape using the Selection tool (black arrow). Start dragging the shape to the right, now hold down the hold down the Option/Alt key, and right after also hold down the Shift key while you drag the duplicated shape perfectly horizontally towards the border of the document. You should have a nice overlapping diamond shape in the middle.

Group, duplicate and resize to 50%

image

Group both diamonds: go to Object > Group or hit Cmd/Ctrl + G. These 2 squares will be our 'object' we'll be working with now. Duplicate this object by pasting it in front: go to Edit > Paste in Front or hit Cmd/Ctrl + F. Now select the Transform tool and click in the center point of the object. In the popup window that appears, enter the value of 50% and click OK.

Flip vertically

image

Select the Reflect tool, click again in the center point of the object, select Horizontal Axis in the popup window and click OK.

Duplicate, duplicate...

image

Now play around with this object a bit more by duplicating it, scaling it etc. Try building up a balanced composition.

Arrange

image

Arrange your objects to your liking. Turn on Smart Guides (View > Smart Guides) so you can precisely align your different diamond objects. Try to create nice overlapping effects. Make sure everything stays well balanced. Even try to break the symmetric feeling of this object a little bit by moving some of them up, and then others down a bit. This needs a bit of experimenting. You could try using different colors if what you are making is not for valentine and add in other basic geometric shapes.

Create a heart shape

We need to create a heart shape that fits perfectly with our composition. Extra curviness would break the beauty of these straight geometric forms. So that's why we'll create the most basic heart shape using perfect 45° straight lines for the pointy bottom part.

image

1. Start by selecting the Ellipse tool and draw a circle (holding down the Shift key).
  2. Make sure Rulers are on (View > Show Rulers or hit Cmd/Ctrl + R) and drag a vertical guide to the right point of the circle. With Smart Guides enabled (View > Smart Guides or hit Cmd/Ctrl + U) the guide should snap to the point.
  3. Select the Line Segment tool from the Toolbox, hold down the Shift key while you draw a perfect 45° diagonal line. Select the line and move it so it aligns along the bottom left of the circle.
  4. Go to View > Guides > Make Guides or hit Cmd/Ctrl + 5

image

1. Select the Pen tool from the toolbox and draw the bottom (point/triangular shape) part of 1/2 of the heart shape as shown in the image above. Use the guides you've just drawn and draw straight lines by just clicking. Make sure your path is closed.
  2. Select both the circle and the triangle you've just drawn using the Selection tool (black arrow). Select the Reflect tool from the toolbox and click exactly on the vertical guide.
  3. Select vertical axis and click the Copy button to duplicate the shape to the right.
  4. Go to the Pathfinder palette and choose the Unite option. Circles and triangles should now be united as 1 path.

Add heart shapes

image

Play around with the heart shape by placing it on spots that makes an interesting composition. Use transparency to create overlapping effects.

Add background and text

image

Last but not least, add a subtle background. I've added a linear gradient background going from pink at the top to white at the bottom. I created a new layer below my composition to do this. Just draw a rectangle that matches the size of your document.

For the text, you can choose whatever you like of course, and you can also play a bit with transparency here. For my card I chose Gotham Black and Mrs Eaves Italic.

permalink this comment Auré Sun Feb 14, 2010 at 12.03 pm

Superbe !
Clean and powerful as usual Veerle :)

permalink this comment Luka Sun Feb 14, 2010 at 03.38 pm

Veerle, thanks for another great tutorial!
;)

permalink this comment Abhisek Sun Feb 14, 2010 at 04.21 pm

Perfect!

permalink this comment Kale Sun Feb 14, 2010 at 11.01 pm

Very nice card, great tutorial. Thanks a lot for sharing!

permalink this comment tinu_ganguly Mon Feb 15, 2010 at 06.13 am

Just Superb.

Nice One keep it up.

permalink this comment Samantha Mon Feb 15, 2010 at 01.15 pm

As a wedding invitation designer this has given me some great ideas for new designs.  I don’t normally use illustrator so much but after this tutorial and others that I have now found on your blog I’ve realised that I should definitely be using it more.  Thanks for the tutorial - lovely idea.

permalink this comment Vanessa Mon Feb 15, 2010 at 10.45 pm

It is helpful to see how you reach this nice design step by step, and it gave me some good ideas.

permalink this comment Jackie Tue Feb 16, 2010 at 07.49 am

You have created another great pattern. It is interesting to see how the diamond shape complements the heart shape, the way you have lined them up so the point of the heart fits nicely with the diamond shapes and the gradient adds a soft touch to it all. The repetition of the patttern is pleasing to the eye, and the font is perfect for the Valentine.

permalink this comment matt Tue Feb 16, 2010 at 10.44 am

shows what a bit of time and some creative juice can do with a simple programme

permalink this comment silver collector Tue Feb 16, 2010 at 02.36 pm

I miss your tutorials. Its been a long time since you posted one. Anyways, this is another great tutorial and as always easy to follow. Thanks

permalink this comment ireng_ajah Tue Feb 16, 2010 at 04.35 pm

Wow.. simple design but very nice..

Thanks..

permalink this comment Crisis Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 02.53 am

Excellent! If only I had thought to check here BEFORE Valentine’s day. So creative!

permalink this comment hanfsamen Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 05.25 pm

Very creative, and I must admit: “I link the pink shades”. The way you created the pink heart is really genious. These tutorials also spur my creativity.

permalink this comment Jackie Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 05.25 pm

I tried to create a similar design using hearts as the background images. It didn’t turn out quite as nicely as yours, but the idea to use a repeating shape as a background works well. Thanks again for sharing your creativity and tutorials!

permalink this comment Sam Thu Feb 18, 2010 at 07.11 am

Another lovely design Veerle!  I particularly love the white heart, within a heart.  I love your tutorials!  I wish I had found your blog years ago!

permalink this comment Mr. herretøj Fri Feb 19, 2010 at 09.01 am

Wow, cool design, and very easy to follow tutorial ;-) Too bad I found it a little to late, but will save it for next year :-)

permalink this comment glen brammell Tue Feb 23, 2010 at 03.24 am

Really nice job on the card!

permalink this comment Anexis Tue Feb 23, 2010 at 08.59 pm

Wow, Veerle, you make it look so easy. I wonder how much time it takes you to actually come up with the idea and ways to implement it. I really love the outcome!

permalink this comment Shane Wed Feb 24, 2010 at 10.42 am

Great tutorial, wish I had came across it a few weeks ago!

Thanks.

permalink this comment Jan Thu Feb 25, 2010 at 10.55 am

i love this card. looks really great. can you host the file for download?

permalink this comment Regina Fri Feb 26, 2010 at 08.41 pm

My first time here. Very impressive!  Good idea to use in album design for Valentine day wedding couples! Thanks Veerlie!

permalink this comment Pavel Vorobjov Sun Feb 28, 2010 at 11.07 am

Wow I am impressed about your imagination. IT is not hard to make such a card in Illustrator but I am always stuck with good ideas how to combine things.