Dec 11

Creating a page curl in Photoshop

2006 at 11.06 am posted by Veerle Pieters

Today’s tutorial was a request by Kirk from Smallest Photo. As you all know, the way I do or show it isn’t the ‘only’ way, it’s just my way and I’m open for any other tips or suggestions. As always I had fun doing this and I’m always happy to share stuff like this. So here it goes…

Image with page curl

Step 1 - Selecting the corner and warp transform it to a curl

Creating a page curl in Photoshop - Step 1

Select the Rectangle Selection tool from the Toolbox and drag a squared selection starting from the bottom right corner of the image (holding down shift) going diagonally left, till you have a big part selected of the bottom right corner of your image. Go to the Edit menu and select Transform > Warp. Drag the bottom right point of the mesh up left till you get some curly effect. Drag the bezier handles to get the right curl effect and hit the return key if you're pleased with the result.

Step 2 - Create the curl

Creating a page curl in Photoshop - Step 2

Since this curl doesn't show the back of our photo, it doesn't really look realistic. The only way I'm aware of to achieve this effect is that we draw it ourself. Select the Pen tool from the Toolbox and draw a path on top of the picture. Follow the borders of the curl you just transformed as guidance. Fill the Shape layer with a white color (double click the layer icon).

Step 3 - Add shading effect to the curl

Creating a page curl in Photoshop - Step 3

Double click on the right of the Shape layer to active the Layer Styles. Check the Gradient Overlay option. Set the Angle of the gradient to 152° and click in the gradient to adjust the colors. Drag the stop swatches to the position shown in the image above and choose a grey for the left stop swatch (click once on the stop swatch and then once in the Color field). You can play around with the effect till you get the result you want. These numbers and info are just as a guidance and what I've used to achieve my result.

Step 4 - Add shading effect to the image

Creating a page curl in Photoshop - Step 4

To achieve an even more realistic effect, we add a depth/shading effect on the picture itself as well. Double click on the right of the layer that holds your picture to get to the Layer Styles options. Again, check the Gradient Overlay option. Set the Angle of the gradient to 152°, choose Multiply as Blend Mode (to filter out all the white) and click in the gradient to adjust the colors. Drag the stop swatches again as before to the position shown in the image above. As an extra you can check the Drop Shadow effect in the Layers Styles options as sort of realistic finishing touch.

permalink this comment Roel Mon Dec 11, 2006 at 11.59 am

Nice technique! Too bad you have to redraw the corner after wrapping the image.

I remember doing this by using some ‘template’ layers that I made in Illustrator and a mask to hide the bottom corner of the image (I don’t think you really need any pixels from the image underneath). But still, your method is much faster!

Curled corners bring back some memories. Does anyone remember Corel PhotoPaint. It had the effect built in since 1995 or so :)

permalink this comment lewro Mon Dec 11, 2006 at 01.23 pm

Absolutely beautiful. Perfect tutorial. Thanks for sharing the procedure!

permalink this comment Jared Mon Dec 11, 2006 at 03.07 pm

Very nice! I know I’ll be using this down the road.

permalink this comment Marty Mon Dec 11, 2006 at 03.12 pm

Thanks for this tutorial. But I have to note, that sometimes it´s a little bit difficult to do a tutorial example for non-english speaking people. But the result adequate awards…

permalink this comment vladyn Mon Dec 11, 2006 at 03.25 pm

Nice!
especialy with the Gradient overlay on the phtoto. Thanks.
I always hate the part where you have to draw the curl back with pen tool

permalink this comment Fredrik Wärnsberg Mon Dec 11, 2006 at 04.07 pm

All the images on your site are corrupt :/ (even css-background, including the navigation etc). I’ve tried emptying my cache aswell. I’m getting it across several browsers (IE/Firefox2.0/Opera).

Something wrong? Just tell me if you want screens or anything. :(

I hope the tutorial is good because I cant follow it. Judging from step 2 (which is the only pic im getting) you do it just like I do though.

permalink this comment DeaPeaJay Mon Dec 11, 2006 at 04.37 pm

Excellent tutorial. I wish photoshop’s warp function had method to set the back side color of a layer though. Then you wouldn’t have to mess with drawing it in manually. Maybe in CS3 =)

permalink this comment fredaudet Mon Dec 11, 2006 at 04.37 pm

Think it your computer buddy, everythings fine in here :)

Done by many other sites in the past, but it’s always practicle in some cases !

Good article veerle

permalink this comment José Carlos Mon Dec 11, 2006 at 04.43 pm

Thanks for the great tutorial. It’ll be usefull, sooner or later.

permalink this comment 74designs Mon Dec 11, 2006 at 05.10 pm

As always, another fantastic tutorial.
Thanks!

permalink this comment Veerle Mon Dec 11, 2006 at 05.37 pm

Fredrik Wärnsberg said:

I think it must a problem on your computer. Personally I didn’t see anything wrong and 4 more friends said they see everyting OK also. More readers would mail if all my images were corrupt I think. Hope you sort it out.

permalink this comment Christopher Mon Dec 11, 2006 at 06.10 pm

Thanks for the great tutorial! Keep servin’ ‘em up!

permalink this comment Kirk Mon Dec 11, 2006 at 08.24 pm

Thanks for the tutorial and the link!

permalink this comment Buzzy Mon Dec 11, 2006 at 08.28 pm

Thanks i was looking for a tutorial like this, easy and perfect, thank you very much.

permalink this comment Richard Mon Dec 11, 2006 at 09.00 pm

Veerle,

Great tutorial, top notch as usual! I was wondering though, what are the fonts use for the ‘Summer 2006 Paris’ paper-clipped stamp like thing?

On the introduction image?

And yep, I can confirm that everything on your site looks just fine to follow up the post by Fredrik Wärnsberg.

Thanks,
Richard

permalink this comment Henrik Lied Mon Dec 11, 2006 at 09.53 pm

Veerle:
I’m seeing the same as Fredrik. Here’s a screenshot: http://bildr.no/view/25008

FF 2.0 Intel on a Macbook running OS X

permalink this comment Bart Mon Dec 11, 2006 at 10.00 pm

Simple, but effective :-)

permalink this comment Ross Johnson Mon Dec 11, 2006 at 11.01 pm

I was just looking for a tutorial on this the other day. My methods of trying to “wing it” didn’t come out as clean as this. Thanks!

permalink this comment Jacob Mon Dec 11, 2006 at 11.30 pm

Great tutorial (as usual). I just sat down earlier to write a tutorial and it’s difficult to make things sound so easy. Keep up the good work!

permalink this comment henry Tue Dec 12, 2006 at 04.40 am

Thanks alot! I’ve always look forward to a tutorial by you:)
For a quite a while I use a less realistic flat dog-ear effect, now I can try out this new method

permalink this comment Gavin the Photographer Tue Dec 12, 2006 at 08.35 am

Great article.  I live in photoshop and this is great for website themes and what not.  I look forward to using it with my photographs.

permalink this comment stef Tue Dec 12, 2006 at 09.59 am

you got dugg and the server still running. proficiat!

permalink this comment Stijn De Lathouwer Tue Dec 12, 2006 at 10.37 am

As always a really nice tutorial. Don’t know if pagecurls is something I’ll use alot, but great to improve my Photoshop skills :)

permalink this comment Stéphanie Tue Dec 12, 2006 at 11.24 am

Hi Veerle,

Thanks for this excellent tutorial. Even though I don’t use page curls that much I’ll give it a try. It’s a nice add-on to my skills.

Cheers.

permalink this comment Erik Gustavsson Tue Dec 12, 2006 at 01.22 pm

This brings back memories of the Kai’s Power Tools page curl filter that was seen used too frequently in the nineties.. oh sweet memories
Although the technique described above looks better than the KPT-filter

/E

permalink this comment kirk Badger Tue Dec 12, 2006 at 01.37 pm

Great tutorial.

permalink this comment jim callender Tue Dec 12, 2006 at 05.09 pm

cool, interested to see how you made this effect.. not the only way, but quick.. more like this please :)

permalink this comment 49 Pages Tue Dec 12, 2006 at 05.14 pm

Very nice tutorial, and very nice effect too.

permalink this comment Johan De Silva Tue Dec 12, 2006 at 06.08 pm

Elaborate! I keep a vector corner ready and lay it on top of the image then place it on top of the image and merge. Then trim at 45 degrees.

permalink this comment Ramon Bispo Tue Dec 12, 2006 at 06.23 pm

Very useful!

Thanks for share, Veerle!

permalink this comment Tijs Tue Dec 12, 2006 at 07.21 pm

Learn something again, I didn’t know about the wrap tool so I always skipped the first step :)

permalink this comment vs Tue Dec 12, 2006 at 08.34 pm

Wow, that’s very nice! Thanks for the tutorial!

permalink this comment Puzzlehead Tue Dec 12, 2006 at 09.28 pm

Although I’m typically not a big fan of page curls it does make for a cute effect…as long as it is used sparingly.

I love your work! I’ve been a long time lurker to your site.

permalink this comment Gavin the Photographer Tue Dec 12, 2006 at 10.25 pm

Here you go, I added a way to make the selection of the curl easier:

Pagecurl photo example

I used a picture I took of the lovely Eva Mendes as an example too!

permalink this comment 3Easy Tue Dec 12, 2006 at 10.47 pm

Indeed, an inspiring website and you deserve the plaudits—this tute is succinct elegance. I love the way your own comments get special styling, like your mate’s @mezzoblue—how does one do this?

Respect. [p.s. started commenting purely based on the lurkin’ post]

permalink this comment Darryl Remnant Wed Dec 13, 2006 at 04.25 am

I too am not that much of a fan of page curls, as they seem to have been over used.

But now seeing the page curl on the *right* image, I love it.

Well done

- Darryl

permalink this comment Mike Cherim Wed Dec 13, 2006 at 07.15 am

Very nice tutorial. It’s funny. If this were a real photograph we’d probably be trying to remove the curl, not add one ;-)

permalink this comment Veerle Wed Dec 13, 2006 at 11.01 am

Thank you for your appreciation, I’m glad you like it :)

Roel said:

Nice technique! Too bad you have to redraw the corner after wrapping the image.

This was exactly my thinking too. It would be much easier if you have an option you could just check.

Richard said:

It’s Rosewood Standard Regular and Rosewood Standard Fill. I think it’s an Adobe font and it shipped with Illustrator or Photoshop CS or CS2.

Johan De Silva said:

Not sure what you mean with “elaborate”. Seems like you’ve found your own technique :) I guess this could work as well. Although I think the warp transform will make it a bit more real in the corner of the picture because it really transforms the pixels of the image, even though you overlap it with the corner.

permalink this comment Spacyt@gmail.com Thu Dec 14, 2006 at 03.35 am

Thanks for the great tutorial. I’m going to use that at work tomorrow!

T

permalink this comment Hafiz Rahman Thu Dec 14, 2006 at 09.42 am

Very useful! Thanks a lot!
My friend just asked, how do you draw the ‘Summer 2006 Paris’ paper, with the worn-and-cut effect on it :)

permalink this comment J. Drukwerk Thu Dec 14, 2006 at 09.08 pm

Great and simple technique! The example given by gavin is also a nice way of achieving this effect.

permalink this comment Richard Thu Dec 14, 2006 at 09.14 pm

Cheers Veerle, I always wondered what it was, I’ve seen it quite a lot! I use Fireworks and Freehand (which suck in comparison to the Creative Suite… I really need to sort my life out and get that purchased!) :-D

permalink this comment David G. Paul Thu Dec 14, 2006 at 10.26 pm

Very nice technique - used to be something that people would overuse a lot though :(

permalink this comment Chip Fri Dec 15, 2006 at 05.26 am

‘Wrap’? You mean ‘Warp’ right? At least that’s what it’s called in my XP version.

permalink this comment Veerle Fri Dec 15, 2006 at 09.51 am

Chip: you are right and I’ve fixed it, thanks ;) It’s weird no one, including myself, didn’t see this… maybe no one bothers, that’s OK of course. I often switch letters when typing and I can be so distracted sometimes that I just don’t see typos like this.

permalink this comment Sam Fri Dec 15, 2006 at 03.13 pm

I’ve always been using just the pen tool to do the first step, I’ll try the rectangle/warp next time, it looks a lot easier!

permalink this comment Chris Murphy Fri Dec 15, 2006 at 05.21 pm

Ah, the dreaded page curl. I remember when it got so popular someone up and made a photoshop plugin for it.

Here is a picture.

permalink this comment zack Smith Sat Dec 16, 2006 at 09.15 pm

wow thanks for your time in explaining this… i guess i have never tried it before… but you’ve just enabled me!

permalink this comment vic Tue Dec 19, 2006 at 02.56 am

what version of Photoshop this is ?
I have CS, version 8, there is no such thing as warp :(

permalink this comment ewcost Tue Dec 19, 2006 at 07.06 am

Cool. I just wish I had CS2. Great work!!

permalink this comment Adrian Tue Dec 19, 2006 at 11.56 pm

Great tutorial, CS2 is hands-down the best PS so far.

For those who hate the pen tool, or don’t know how to use it, they can always just select the Magnetic Lasso tool, set its frequency to “1” and trace the curl.  Then create a new layer and fill it with color.

Veerle, how about a simple tutorial on how to use the pen tool? ;-)

permalink this comment GhaM Wed Dec 20, 2006 at 01.26 am

Whish I took the creative site, in instead I went the opposite way: business. And now I fing myself trying to make things in my spare time because I love doing it. I am just very bad at it. So when you come accross a bad and moody day remember that your not always alone.

LOVE R WORK !

GhaM

permalink this comment Aadi Wed Dec 20, 2006 at 12.06 pm

Nice, Thanks for this!!

permalink this comment farah Thu Dec 21, 2006 at 10.24 am

i still dont know how to do it..help

permalink this comment Dimitris Sat Dec 23, 2006 at 07.55 pm

Nice tutorial.
I have written a similar one in the past here that basically uses the same technique with some small differences. There is also a Photosho action for the lazy ones :)

permalink this comment Paul Thu Dec 28, 2006 at 09.06 pm

BRILLIENT TUTORIAL! step by step, i’m still learning the basics so tutorials like this help a lot. cheers

permalink this comment Johanna Okerholm Mon Jan 1, 2007 at 06.27 pm

the tutorial looked really easy to understand. A big plus for novices like myself.

Unfortunately with Photoshop 10, there is not “transform>wrap. can you offer another way to do a page curl?