Feb 10

Firefox 0.8, for Mac and Windows

2004 at 03.16 am posted by Veerle Pieters

Mozilla.org has released Firefox 0.8 (formerly Firebird), the latest version of its lightweight Web browser for Mac OS X and Windows. I am greatly surprised about the quality work that has gone into this release. For instance the first thing you’ll notice is the cool new logo for the app.

Firefox about box

The logo was rendered in FireWorks MX by Jon Hicks who has done a marvelous job btw. But that’s off course not the only good news about this browser. For us MacOS X users there is the gorgeous new OS X aqua theme. For Windows users a new installer to make the process of installing smoother and it also solves some common plug-in problems. The new streamlined download manager keeps your downloads organized without getting in your way. The add bookmark dialog has been enhanced and now allows the creation of new bookmark folders. This will be me second browser on MacOS X after Safari and my primary browser when I have to do some work on Windows XP. It has a mature feeling to it for the first time. So If you want a serious alternative to Microsoft Internet Explorer you have to test run this lightweight browser. If you’re already using it there a some promo graphics that you can use to show people there is an alternative for IE. I’ve already did my part, just look below my counter ;-)

permalink this comment Dion Tue Feb 10, 2004 at 05.44 am

Nice log :-). Css, Leuke log. css, pmachine, interesting subjects. Nice to see a woman blogging about geek things. Just command-D’d it through Safari in my international blog folder…

Blog on

permalink this comment Veerle Tue Feb 10, 2004 at 06.08 am

Thanks for the compliment! ;-) And yes you are right not many women are into this kind of stuff. They don’t know what they miss hehe!

Your name (and comment) leads me to believe you are a woman too, no? :-)

permalink this comment Dion Tue Feb 10, 2004 at 06.17 am

Well, no I am not ;-). But I am curious how you can determine, based on my commenting, what gender I am LOL.

permalink this comment robin Tue Feb 10, 2004 at 06.17 am

hi there

“lightweight”?

Safari weighs in under 4MB but this beast is almost 30MB!

permalink this comment Veerle Tue Feb 10, 2004 at 06.42 am

Dion: well, I guess I was more thinking about “Dione” with an “e” at the end, that’s why :-)

Robin: I wasn’t actually referring to “size”, more to the look and the features, not too many buttons, icons etc. and it kind of feels “light” this way. BTW my Safari “weights” 14,8 MB, not 4 ;-)

permalink this comment Dion Tue Feb 10, 2004 at 06.51 am

No problem. I am curious what you think about the new pMachine product ExpressionEngine…?

permalink this comment Veerle Tue Feb 10, 2004 at 10.54 am

Dion: I think the new pMachine is awesome! I’ve read about it and took a look at the online demo and I was “sold” ! ;-) I just ordered a license, I couldn’t wait any longer :-D I’ll probably gonna use this for this blog.

permalink this comment Dion Tue Feb 10, 2004 at 11.02 am

Yeah, I am excited too. Just remember, it’s just a public beta, it doesn’t have all functions yet, like site search :-)

permalink this comment Veerle Tue Feb 10, 2004 at 11.15 am

Yes I know, but I’ll test this first internally. I’m not going switch right away or so,  I’ll experiment first and when the final version is out then I’ll switch.

permalink this comment Dion Tue Feb 10, 2004 at 11.20 am

Right on! Wouldn’t let the bling bling role without testing first…

permalink this comment Hemant Tue Feb 10, 2004 at 02.26 pm

You have a beautiful blog Veerle, beautiful enough to stare at. Whereas Firefox is concerned, since Safari’s release, I hardly use anything else. I ain’t much of a designer but I do support standards compliant browsers. Anyway thanks for the blog. :-)

permalink this comment Veerle Tue Feb 10, 2004 at 02.50 pm

Thanks Hemant for the nice words, it’s always good to hear that people like it ;-) Safari is also my default browser but it’s nice to have a choice and to know that the other one is a pleasure to look at.

permalink this comment shad Wed Feb 11, 2004 at 12.29 pm

Well, I downloaded Firefox, and have spent the last hour trying to get my Mozilla bookmarks imported into Firefox.

It’s amazing that it’ll import your IE bookmarks without any hassle, but that you actually have to tell the browser what bookmarks you want it to use.

I’ve tried creating the user.js file in my profile, and adding the required text there, as suggested in this trick

Is anyone else experiencing the same difficulties? I’m running Mac OS X, and just can’t seem to figure this out :(