Jul 14

Inspiration series: Magazines

2008 at 11.33 am posted by Veerle Pieters

We continue the exploration of the offline world in search for that spark of inspiration. This time we are going to look at magazines. There are all sorts of them out there and some are better than others. I’ve tried to come up with an interesting mix of styles and topics to keep it diverse.

Styles

Some magazines really scream because of all the content. I don't know where to look first with those. I am more a fan of the less is more approach. These kind of lay-outs makes it easier to read imho. Another thing that makes or break a magazine are the pictures and the artwork inside combined with the advertising. I've seen well lay-outed magazines that loose their edge when you face the ugly advertising. It's really craftsmanship to pull off a magazine that has both.

Nord Magazine

Viewer

Viewer

HOT LIST

Nice design in The Atlantan magazine

Hot list

LIFE

If there is one icon magazine that shows how powerfull photography can be it's LIFE

LIFE

Echtzeit magazine 05

Echtzeit magazine 05

View

View

View

Blaadje

Dutch magazine Blaadje, an annual magazine by and for people working in the Dutch magazine industry.

Blaadje

Blaadje

Blaadje

permalink this comment saljo Mon Jul 14, 2008 at 11.58 am

very informative and a good reference. Thank you…

permalink this comment Mélanie Mon Jul 14, 2008 at 01.42 pm

I love your inspiration series!

Seeing Art & Decoration in there brought a smile to my face as it was my favourite magazine when I was younger.

Now, I find Computer Arts and Computer Arts Projects (UK editions) to be inspiring everytime they pop up in my mail box.

permalink this comment Jez Mon Jul 14, 2008 at 02.01 pm

A great resource, it must have taken some time to compile that post!

I find it interesting that you say:

“continue the exploration of the offline world in search for that spark of inspiration”

Most designers I know do not really make a distinction between on and off-line work. What they do is now so heterogeneous that they constantly move concepts from one medium to another as a matter of course.

Jez

permalink this comment Jerry Mon Jul 14, 2008 at 02.06 pm

Great list.  I love to use magazines for design inspiration.

Man, I wish I could pull of that guy’s style on the cover of Pullover und Westen für Herren!

permalink this comment Niki Brown Mon Jul 14, 2008 at 03.49 pm

Some of the food photography in the first few magazines is pretty sweet :) Ive never seen asparagus look so yummy! :)

permalink this comment Mark Mon Jul 14, 2008 at 04.04 pm

Excellent. Inspiration truly is everywhere - magazines are an excellent resource for ideas. I often look closely through the style/living/arts sections that come with the Sunday papers too. They have a lot to give. Ive always found that magazines really encapsulate the power that good typography can have over its readers.

permalink this comment Mayank Keshari Mon Jul 14, 2008 at 05.11 pm

I love all images, very pretty and refreshing. I like VIEWER horse in particular it was a nice portray displaying simplicity at its best.

Thanks for such a lovely post.

permalink this comment Kris Mon Jul 14, 2008 at 07.47 pm

Great series! “View” is a great discovery for me!
Can I suggest Font Magazine as another inspirational magazine related to Typography?

permalink this comment Blaz Grapar Mon Jul 14, 2008 at 08.29 pm

Have you seen Alpinist magazine? I think it’s quite nice. Selected and big photos make an immpression. Also quite good typography although I’m not much of an expert. Cover page could be better.

permalink this comment megan Mon Jul 14, 2008 at 09.10 pm

great topic, and a very nice selection.  i get a lot of ideas for layouts and color schemes from the Yoga Journal.  it balances themes of neatness, cleanliness, and simplicity…and the recipes and articles are worthwhile too!
cheers.

permalink this comment Jackie Mon Jul 14, 2008 at 11.31 pm

Nice ideas and magazines! It is fun to see magazines from other countries, too. I also liked the poster series you did.

We went through an exercise like this recently in my typography class this summer, where our instructor brought in a whole bunch of magazines and we dissected the fonts and layouts and compared them all, to get a better idea of what is good layout and design, even to how advertisements affect the look and feel of the regular pages within a spread, and so forth.  It was an interesting exercise and you can learn a lot by just comparing things like that.

permalink this comment Abby Mon Jul 14, 2008 at 11.34 pm

I guess I am old but I remember the old Life Magazine and I thought it was great, almost all pictures and little or no printed word. Bring back the pictures.

Abby

permalink this comment Elaine Dunham Tue Jul 15, 2008 at 05.52 am

I got some great ideas for making themes for sites and blogs based on the layouts in those magazines, thanks for posting the pics!

permalink this comment Riza Tue Jul 15, 2008 at 08.48 am

Good one

permalink this comment Ruben Tue Jul 15, 2008 at 11.16 am

Mooi opgemaakt & interessant magazine: Items

permalink this comment T Tue Jul 15, 2008 at 12.45 pm

Die Nord° is schitterend! Kende ik nog niet.

Jammer dat ik geen Noors kan ..... eyecandy downloads in PDF op de website te vinden: http://www.matinorden.no/

Nord° rules ... great lay-out, use of photography, .... lots of eyecandy ....

permalink this comment Dorien Tue Jul 15, 2008 at 01.36 pm

Wow, thank you!

Most of the time I get my inspiration from magazines and other paper things. This post is really helpful!

permalink this comment brainpicker Tue Jul 15, 2008 at 07.15 pm

This leaves me almost worried for modern print design given so much of the excellence in the category came from pubs of the past.

Even so, I would’ve added GOOD Magazine (a relative newcomer on the scene with very distinct design) and Wired—I find these two to be among the most thoughtfully designed of modern magazines.

permalink this comment Andreea Wed Jul 16, 2008 at 10.40 am

It is truly a very nice selection you’ve made. I realy like the food magasine, it’s so different from what i’ve seen before. And the Fused magasine is realy cool.

permalink this comment Adam Wed Jul 16, 2008 at 11.30 pm

Great collection - thanks.

I’ve been reading “Publish” magazine for over 10 years and never even gave it a thought, until seeing your post today, that the magazine is published in different languages and distributed outside of the U.S. I apologize for whatever politically incorrect attitude that is, but I am trying to overcome it.

[Veerle: I think you confuse it with another magazine with the same title. This is one is Dutch from origin and the content is situated towards designers]

Adam

permalink this comment Niels Thu Jul 17, 2008 at 06.12 pm

Great collection of inspiration materials, thanks Veerle!

permalink this comment Nick Fri Jul 18, 2008 at 02.16 pm

I’ll try to find some of those magazines. thanks!

permalink this comment Tiffani Sat Jul 19, 2008 at 08.43 pm

Hey, this was a GREAT post.  I think I really did just walk away with about a bazillion new ideas for how to organize things.  I like the grid.  :D

permalink this comment Fanny Cuiso Sun Jul 20, 2008 at 02.47 pm

I loved this collection.  It was inspirational.  Keep them coming to enlighten us all.

Thanks,
Fanny

permalink this comment Rick Sun Jul 20, 2008 at 05.28 pm

I love your inspiration series….....I will save them for future reference.

permalink this comment Martijn Sun Jul 20, 2008 at 09.08 pm

Great article!! Some magazines were familiar, but also there were a number of magazines I didn’t knew before today!

What do you think of fraai-magazine.com? Together with some friends, we started this quarterly online magazine for inspiration and creativity last january.

Hope you like it!

permalink this comment usb600 Tue Jul 22, 2008 at 02.36 am

Hi Veerle,

You may also want to check out HOWdesign if you have not yet. Love this magazine….

website: www.howdesign.com
forum: www.howdesign.com/forum

permalink this comment Gareth Tue Jul 22, 2008 at 08.59 am

I love fused magazine. Good articles really good graphically and Birmingham based!

permalink this comment Dave Tue Jul 22, 2008 at 06.07 pm

Excellent, thanks for the inspiration!

permalink this comment Mac Funamizu Tue Jul 22, 2008 at 10.28 pm

Great collection! Thanks.

permalink this comment Debra Wed Jul 23, 2008 at 04.25 pm

Thanks for the inspiration!

permalink this comment Chris Harold Thu Jul 24, 2008 at 08.36 am

Great compilation! Bookmarked! ;)

permalink this comment Tommy Sat Jul 26, 2008 at 08.04 am

Best. i like the style.

permalink this comment vahid Sat Jul 26, 2008 at 08.38 am

Very Nice !
Thanks for the inspiration!

permalink this comment abc Sat Jul 26, 2008 at 06.36 pm

Great series! “View” is a great discovery for me!

permalink this comment KJ Fri Aug 8, 2008 at 02.32 pm

I agree with @brainpicker, GOOD Magazine has a very distinct design and layout. It’s one of the only magazines I look forward to receiving. I just wish it came to my door more than 6 times a year.

permalink this comment Sören Mon Aug 11, 2008 at 09.34 am

Very nice designs indeed. Most are very catchy also.