May 27

Inspiration series: Package Design

2008 at 05.27 pm posted by Veerle Pieters

With regular intervals I get e-mails from people that want my advice on inspiration and if I have any tricks to help them. The truth is that I don’t possess any secret that works every time when I am in need of inspiration. The thing is that inspiration is a difficult item to put in words as it mostly doesn’t behave rationally. For example in all these years that I’ve been designing I never had the same item twice as an inspiration source.

So it's not that you put an item in front of you and every time you look at it the inspiration comes. Maybe there are people who can pull that off, but I am not one of them.

Looking for web design inspiration

When I am looking for inspiration for a website I used to browse around in the many galleries from time to time. What I noticed is that there is like 50% chance when doing just that that I'll get frustrated from seeing too much. Maybe a better definition would be over stimulated and as a result I can't set it in motion because of too many things going on in my mind. When that happens I usally switch gears to something completly different like...

Package Design

The thing with inspiration is that for me personally it doesn't need to be related to what I am trying to create. The reason why I talk about package design now is that I always had a soft spot for it. During my last year in school when I was doing my final project I developed a fascination for it and chose food packaging as my subject for the project. Today I'll share some of the great examples I've collected.

B.E.E.

Tymes Red Cherie

Zipp Infuzions

image

Wild Bunch Juice

Wild Bunch Juice

permalink this comment Case Stevens Tue May 27, 2008 at 05.56 pm

For me, inspiration and even concrete ideas often come when doing something completely different, often times even fully unrelated to my work.

As you say, there isn’t a specific secret or item that you can refer to.
I think it’s more the unconscious mind that sparks every now and then.

I like the package designs, especially the remarkable pencils.

permalink this comment Eoin Tue May 27, 2008 at 06.52 pm

Really splendid collection. Excellent idea to look beyond the web to avoid repeating old cliches. Thanks!

permalink this comment Kevin Crawford Tue May 27, 2008 at 07.11 pm

I like that bottle of Vodka, it almost looks like my cologne. Haha.

I personally draw a lot of inspiration from photography. Finding an image as a starting point for a design usually jump-starts my creative juices.

permalink this comment ludwik Tue May 27, 2008 at 07.47 pm

damn! great collection! I love CoffeeTime, Zipp Infuzions and Pepsi can.

permalink this comment CJ Tue May 27, 2008 at 09.03 pm

Hi Verlee, I think the nano bio kits are the best! dunno maybe it’s the brand, the product but to me they look like CS3 boxes containing hi tech bio things, the designer is just brilliant

permalink this comment Jody Tue May 27, 2008 at 09.56 pm

I personally Love the “Little dish”. Cute, modern and great title. I have been noticing how much packaging has been changing for children products - geared more to the adults purchasing them. I think the next big movement in packaging design will be in this area.

permalink this comment Gis Tue May 27, 2008 at 10.58 pm

OMG too wonderful, I am gonna have to buy myself one of those journals!!!

permalink this comment kristen Tue May 27, 2008 at 11.26 pm

Some of your examples stopped me dead in my tracks, like the ecojot and the zipp juice. Thanks for posting these!

permalink this comment Kev Adamson Tue May 27, 2008 at 11.54 pm

Thanks Veerle. I’ve sent the link to this article to my girlfriend as she is a print designer and often designs pack layouts as well as concepts etc. - she would find these examples really useful :)

permalink this comment Itaekema Wed May 28, 2008 at 12.03 am

I like the package inspiration approach Veerle! Will try that sometime too. I normally look into the galleries or business related websites, but also when walking on the street, or driving through the city e.g. looking out for ideas, colors, shapes etc. Always interesting :)

permalink this comment LaurenMarie - Creative Curio Wed May 28, 2008 at 12.50 am

Oh, I think that Pepsi can is one done by Catalina Estrada. I love her work! It’s very colorful.

I’m with you on never the same source for inspiration and the getting overwhelmed with design when looking through those galleries online. I like looking through design magazines, like Communication Arts, too.

Thanks for sharing, Veerle!

permalink this comment Rady Wed May 28, 2008 at 02.51 am

I like this point,

I never had the same item twice as an inspiration source

This is a good line for any designer to have in mind as they start a new project.

Probably a huge reason why your work has a large range of style.

permalink this comment Kyle Wed May 28, 2008 at 04.22 am

I love the packaging, name, and overall concept for the Remarkable pencils.  Simply brilliant, and beautiful.

If anyone is in need of more great packaging design, The Dieline Blog is a wonderful place to find it.

permalink this comment Jackie Wed May 28, 2008 at 05.24 am

It is interesting how you can see some trends emerge in the package designs - like the Pepsi can which reminds me of a lot of other things I have seen with all the swirls, even though it is unique for the pepsi can design.  I liked that one, the Little Dish, the Zip Infuzions, and the first one was kind of fun even though it is just using type in different colors. Great pictures and ideas!

permalink this comment Dzineblog Wed May 28, 2008 at 06.20 am

Good Collection Check these links for more packaging design inpiration

permalink this comment David Wed May 28, 2008 at 09.16 am

A really beautiful collection, thanks for sharing.

I think you can spot a lot of features of these designs that could translate well to the web.

I wish more of the food I buy was packaged like this :(

permalink this comment Anna Wed May 28, 2008 at 10.39 am

I too take inspiration from different sources such as packaging, i also collect magazines, these are great for keeping up to date with whats going on and as they are structure around delivering information, they make a great place to start looking for inspiration for a web page.

permalink this comment Adult Ühler Wed May 28, 2008 at 10.57 am

These are some beautiful designs, although I wish more of these companies would use degradable packaging. I don’t know how it is in the US? Here in the UK its slowly coming along.

permalink this comment Anja Wed May 28, 2008 at 04.18 pm

L’inspiration, c’est du travail!

permalink this comment Kristin Wed May 28, 2008 at 05.47 pm

Such an excellent tip to look outside of typical websites/templates!  These kind of make me want to change jobs and work in packaging :)  I’ve never heard of Coffee Time but it’s beautiful artwork…I probably wouldn’t throw away my coffee cups when finished if I got them from there!

permalink this comment Barci Wed May 28, 2008 at 07.27 pm

Uaaau astonish collection!
So damn good designed product that I would bought it just to decorate my worktable. Who needs the contents with that kind of clothing :)

permalink this comment Matt Radel Wed May 28, 2008 at 07.34 pm

Great stuff. Bonus points for not including an Apple product (just too easy, methinks). This is a great reminder that inspiration can come from anywhere - I think some folks (myself included) too often look to the same places.

permalink this comment davansy Thu May 29, 2008 at 05.35 am

great and very cool! I support your point that inspiration needs a large number of references

permalink this comment Janet Thu May 29, 2008 at 09.34 am

You do fabulous work and are a great inspiration to all!! I love looking at all the different designs you come up with and hope one day to have you create a couple for us.

permalink this comment Niels Thu May 29, 2008 at 09.45 am

Hi Veerle,

You have some excellent examples of how graphic design makes or breaks the packaging. I really like the ‘Orange hair defense’.

Thanks.

permalink this comment Alexander Gale Thu May 29, 2008 at 01.08 pm

This is a truly wonderful collection of great design ideas! Organge Hair Defense and Double Cross Vodka are the ones that particularly caught my eye. Thanks! :)

permalink this comment Dennis Thu May 29, 2008 at 02.07 pm

What usually works for me is to listen to my absolute favourite music to obtain inspiration. Listening to your favourite music and doing something different for a while is usually even better.

permalink this comment lucyp Thu May 29, 2008 at 04.37 pm

I really like the little dish designs, they look really trendy and the orange hair defense, sometimes I don’t know how people keep coming up with unique stylish designs

permalink this comment Herold Thu May 29, 2008 at 08.26 pm

wow, i´m astonished. Thanks for the inspirations :-)

permalink this comment Marc Fri May 30, 2008 at 10.20 am

Really nice collection of inspiring designs.

i love the illy-one!

permalink this comment Jeremy Newton Sat May 31, 2008 at 06.12 am

Inspiration is a natural process and cannot be forced.  You have probably already realized that it is sometimes found in the most unlikely place.
Great collection of packaging. Thanks for sharing!

permalink this comment Svenska Mon Jun 2, 2008 at 06.41 am

That’s a nice collection :)

permalink this comment Oliver Blake Mon Jun 2, 2008 at 09.12 am

Really good collection of package designs. Some good tips.
thanks

permalink this comment Michel Mon Jun 2, 2008 at 11.49 am

Really great collection!! :-)

Thanks for sharing with us!

(PS Just you might want to change ‘Pesi Can’ to ‘Pepsi Can’;-)

permalink this comment Daan Mon Jun 2, 2008 at 04.05 pm

Nice ones, I like the Vodka bottle :)
Smashing magazine has just posted an article about package design today.
Coincidence?

permalink this comment JD (ever-real) Tue Jun 3, 2008 at 01.59 pm

Very nice collection!
Thanks for the lovely photos.

permalink this comment Mathieu Bourgie Sat Jun 7, 2008 at 11.20 am

Thoses are great creative designs that you’ve created there! I really like the notepads and the pepsi one =)

permalink this comment Matt Wed Jun 11, 2008 at 08.38 am

Thanks for this great little collection. It’s nice to see such a range of different designs, each fascinating in its own particular way.

I, for one, will be paying even more attention next time I’m in the shops!

permalink this comment Natalia Wed Jun 11, 2008 at 06.18 pm

They look great. I love the designs :)

permalink this comment Kamil Wed Jun 18, 2008 at 10.28 pm

I like the CoffeeTime motif.

permalink this comment Galen King Mon Jun 23, 2008 at 08.48 am

Very nice collection. Great to see a New Zealand company featuring there!