Jun 30

Inspiration series: Posters

2008 at 03.01 pm posted by Veerle Pieters

We continue the inspiration series with some very cool poster designs. The reason I started these series is to show that there is so much more out there to jump start the inspiration process. You don’t need the website galleries all the time. For me it is a good thing to browse around in the *offline* world as well. It’s a bit of glimpse into my bookmark library.

A mix of old and new poster designs

I've tried to get an interesting mix of styles to look at. Inspiration is a tricky thing as I personally don't have a sure thing that triggers it. So having diverse options at my disposal to look at sometimes helps. For example on some occasions it can be an element seen in a poster that gives me an idea. For example: a nice typeface, the way elements are composed, a color combination, or its graphical style.

Vivagalaca

Ian Cyborg

Jimmy Turrell

Jimmy Turrell

Taxi To The Dark Side

image

permalink this comment Case Stevens Mon Jun 30, 2008 at 03.19 pm

That’s a great collection of posters to get inspired by.
The variety ensures that some way or another, you will get necessary inspiration for any job that has to be done.
Do you keep them in a swipe file?

permalink this comment ben Mon Jun 30, 2008 at 03.31 pm

Whoooaaa, anyone know what the title font in the “Ian Cyborg” poster is called? I think I’m in love.

Those are some very inspiring posters.

permalink this comment derekb Mon Jun 30, 2008 at 04.00 pm

Wow, impressive selection. Beauties.

permalink this comment Matt Mon Jun 30, 2008 at 04.14 pm

Awesome post! great inspiration to get going on this Monday.

Thanks Veerle

permalink this comment David Mon Jun 30, 2008 at 04.35 pm

A lovely collection.
Thanks Veerle.

I totally love the retro look! :D

Now I just need a chance to do some retro style designs myself.

permalink this comment Garrett Dimon Mon Jun 30, 2008 at 04.43 pm

Without a doubt some of the most inspirational and beautiful design I’ve seen in a long time.  Thanks, Veerle!

Although, now I’m a bit miffed because I’m going to want to go design all day when I need to be writing code. :)

permalink this comment D.A.T. Mon Jun 30, 2008 at 05.12 pm

wow! Very inspiring. Thanks

permalink this comment Ivan Nikolic Mon Jun 30, 2008 at 05.59 pm

Nice collection, really inspiring!

permalink this comment Soroush Mon Jun 30, 2008 at 08.02 pm

Wow, these are all so beautiful! I can’t choose which I like most, as I like all of them! :P

Thanks for sharing the inspiration Veerle!

permalink this comment Kat Mon Jun 30, 2008 at 08.30 pm

Thank you for this inspiring post! It’s always lovely to see great graphic design we often don’t have the chance to discover on our own!  :) great collection of images!

permalink this comment Andrew Tue Jul 1, 2008 at 03.23 pm

wonderful posters. They reflect the trends of art that were major for this or that time.

permalink this comment nogg3r5 Tue Jul 1, 2008 at 03.30 pm

Wow, good collection. My favourites are the Robogames and the Munich olympics

permalink this comment Lee Milthorpe Tue Jul 1, 2008 at 06.34 pm

Those are brilliant.

I particularly liked the Jazz Festival posters, very inspiring.

permalink this comment Adam Wed Jul 2, 2008 at 09.36 am

I love those designs. ‘It’s a wonderful day’ is so retro, yet contemporary.

permalink this comment Kelly Wed Jul 2, 2008 at 04.25 pm

Thanks Veerle! I needed this. My juices have been stagnant lately. I appreciate all you do.

permalink this comment jharr Wed Jul 2, 2008 at 08.02 pm

Great collection of styles. If you’re a fan of Swiss poster design I have a nice selection of medium-res posters from the masters (Hoffman, Leupin, etc.)  at crawlspacemedia.com/swiss-posters.

permalink this comment Guy Thu Jul 3, 2008 at 05.15 am

Wonderful, I don’t see any posters in my life, The world is wide!

permalink this comment Paul B Thu Jul 3, 2008 at 09.07 am

Truly inspiring.
Thanks for sharing.

permalink this comment Laurens Thu Jul 3, 2008 at 09.57 pm

Nice selection indeed. For me the product serie would work better for some reason though. Guess it might be because they are a lot more ‘artistic’ more or less..

Favorites: SMPHNY and Invisible sound

permalink this comment Tomax Sat Jul 5, 2008 at 10.27 pm

Very Nice indeed!I like the style

permalink this comment bootcat Sun Jul 6, 2008 at 02.46 pm

Nice collection veerle .
and i want to know how posters like Varo International Ltd , Solid Gold Bomb , Dissonance 004 , Dissonance 006 are created ..
veerle can you give some tips or techniques to create such light ropes kinda things ?

permalink this comment Mike Mon Jul 7, 2008 at 04.55 pm

Anyone know if its possible to purchase prints of any of the posters? I’d love to have some to hang on my office wall :)

permalink this comment yongsi Thu Jul 10, 2008 at 05.35 pm

beautiful. thank you!

permalink this comment Will Ayers Sat Jul 12, 2008 at 12.50 am

If I could I would buy every single one of them. They are amazing

permalink this comment wilhelml Sat Jul 12, 2008 at 11.27 am

Schwing!!

permalink this comment Danica Thu Jul 17, 2008 at 02.14 am

Thank you for a nice collection of colorful posters.

One of my favorite posters is for a classic 1970’s movie called the “Endless Summer.” My dad has had one of those framed in his office for as long as I can remember. Maybe you can find one of those and enjoy it, too.

permalink this comment Joy Mon Jul 21, 2008 at 07.07 am

I really like your artwork….how can i do like that?...those are prefect…Joy

permalink this comment clarice gomes Tue Jul 22, 2008 at 04.26 am

This is such a nice collection. Thanks for the inspiration. I especially like the Cape Town Jazz Festival one!

permalink this comment Carly Sat Jul 26, 2008 at 08.25 pm

Wow.  It’s very hard to tell the older posters from the new, as the old designs inspire the new very very much!