Jun 19

London @media 2006 Good Design vs Great Design

2006 at 04.25 pm posted by Veerle Pieters

Just got back from Paris today. After @media London, we decided to travel a bit and go to Paris with Dave. It was an honor to speak on @media about design with 2 of my favorite colleague designers Jon Hicks and Cameron Moll.

URLs mentioned in the presentations

The experience

Let me tell you that was a thrilling experience to be up there and talking in front of a few hundred people. It's not that I do this kind of thing every day. I was pretty nervous at the beginning but once I started off talking about one of my favorite topics, design and colors in particularly things went pretty OK. It was different from speaking at SXSW since this time I knew my panel members, at SXSW I didn't really. That, and also the subject made a big difference to be able to be less nervous.

Too bad I had to miss Jeremy Keith's talking since his session was at the same time. I missed it at SXSW as well. There were a lot of great panels and speakers this year. I especially liked Jeffrey Veen's speech and also Tantek Celik's speech about Microformats. The last one was a hard decision since Andy Clarke was speaking at the same time about design and I wanted to see this as well. I really wanted to find out more about Microformats. Pretty fascinating stuff. It triggered my interest and I'll be looking into what the possibilities are.

My short break

Tomorrow is my birthday and we're heading to Normandy with my friend Cindy. We'll be staying in Honfleur for 2 days and do some sight seeing. She's staying here till June 27th and while she's here I'm taking a bit of a break. I've been in Normandy once, but that was years ago when I was a kid and I really loved it. Hopefully I'll have some great pictures for you to show. Pardon my short absence here. Hopefully you enjoy the pictures on Flickr that will follow.

permalink this comment Christopher Bowers Mon Jun 19, 2006 at 05.36 pm

I was just wondering what you used to create the presentation. It seems like you used Illustrator and put it all into a pdf.

permalink this comment Cheng Siang Heng Mon Jun 19, 2006 at 08.49 pm

Happy Birthday Veerle

permalink this comment Shani elharrar Mon Jun 19, 2006 at 10.42 pm

Happy birthday,
Good presentation, i will pass it to my partner :)

permalink this comment René Kleizen Tue Jun 20, 2006 at 12.33 am

Happy Birthday and a nice visit at Normandy

permalink this comment Pat Tue Jun 20, 2006 at 01.29 am

Happy birthday!!

permalink this comment lazymouse Tue Jun 20, 2006 at 01.43 am

Hi Veerle & Geert;

It was great to finally meet you both, I tried to catch up with you later, but you were always in deep conversation with someone!!

I was very impressed with @media - the presentations were very good and they looked after us all with good food at lunchtime!

I was very fired up on the way home - can’t wait to investigate microformats which are going to be big in the future (if you know what I mean)

Also realised that I need to make my sites more accessible (Bulletproof)

Looking forward to @media 2007 :)

Steve

permalink this comment Pedjaa Tue Jun 20, 2006 at 01.56 am

Joyeux anniversaire Veerle et Bienvenue en France. Honfleur est plus beau ville de Normandie..

permalink this comment GiZZiStar Tue Jun 20, 2006 at 03.22 am

very interesting ‘good vs great’...and..
Happy Birthday Veerle…

giz

permalink this comment Irek Tue Jun 20, 2006 at 04.05 am

Happy Birthday Veerle!!!

permalink this comment lazymouse Tue Jun 20, 2006 at 04.49 am

oh, I forgot ... Happy Birthday, Veerle :) :)

permalink this comment James AkaXakA Tue Jun 20, 2006 at 05.03 am

Happy Birthday Veerle!

(and thanks for the slides of course)

permalink this comment Fré Tue Jun 20, 2006 at 06.32 am

Happy Birthday and have a good time in Normandy, thanks a lot for the linked articles, I’ll be sure to check them later after my exams. :s

Uhm, er zit trouwens een fout in de rss-feed van uw nieuws waardoor dit bericht als één lange url wordt weergegeven,vrij irritant aangezien het de layout van live.com nogal sterk aanpast.

permalink this comment xunk Tue Jun 20, 2006 at 07.54 am

Happy Birthday Veerle \o/
Nice article, thanks for the slides.

/me returns lurking ;)

Oh and i hope you enjoyed your trip in France !

permalink this comment Keith Tue Jun 20, 2006 at 11.05 am

I would have really liked to see this one Veerle.  Your session (heck all of @media) sounds like it was really useful and informative.

Thanks a bunch for putting the slides up and HAPPY B-Day. ;0)

permalink this comment Roger Johansson Tue Jun 20, 2006 at 11.22 am

Happy birthday! I loved hanging out with you guys in London.

permalink this comment Dan Cederholm Wed Jun 21, 2006 at 11.49 am

Great meeting you and Geert, Veerle!  Fun times.  And I hope your birthday was a rocking one.

permalink this comment Dewinant Wed Jun 21, 2006 at 12.44 pm

Happy Birthday Veerle!

I’m very happy we’ve got such a talented web designer(ster) in Belgium.
One that even spoke at @media 2006!

permalink this comment Denis Radenkovic Thu Jun 22, 2006 at 02.32 am

It was great to see both of you again. I’m a bit late but, Happy Birthday!

permalink this comment Pat Thu Jun 22, 2006 at 11.01 am

Happy Birthday Veerle!
I very impress your contributions

permalink this comment Mike Fri Jun 23, 2006 at 04.47 am

I’m impressed - 100% valid XHTML and CSS.

At a brief glance you also look WCAG/WAI/DDA/409 compliant. Such attention to detail is impressive.

Keep up the good work - good luck. Dugg :-)

permalink this comment Matteo Fri Jun 23, 2006 at 04.58 am

Totally off-topic… I’d suggest you to add onfocus=“this.blur()” to your main menu header <a> tags. It would prevent the big-ugly-focus-rectangle to appear.

Sleek design, anyway ;)

permalink this comment Stuart Fri Jun 23, 2006 at 05.35 am

hi, Just came across your website (linkage from digg) and im gob smacked! - its possibly the most nicest designed website I have ever seen!

permalink this comment Mark Bowen Fri Jun 23, 2006 at 07.36 am

Many happy returns Veerle. I hope all your wishes come true.

Best wishes,

Mark

permalink this comment Marko Fri Jun 23, 2006 at 10.14 am

I’m not to late am I? Happy B-day Veerle! :D

permalink this comment Reece Fri Jun 23, 2006 at 10.52 am

Happy late birthday, Veerle!

One off topic question…
What is the font on the Geeky Chix sample website.  I think it is the same font used in the presentation.  Just curious.

permalink this comment Veerle Sat Jun 24, 2006 at 08.01 am

Waow! Thanks for all the Happy Birthday wishes here! I had a great day in Honfleur (Normandy, France). I’ll have some pictures on Flickr later… I’m uploading today those from Paris, then I’ll have some of Honfleur, Ghent and Bruges… Oh boy I’m so behind.

@lazymouse it was great seeing you, wish we had a longer chat. Always too many people to say hi to and before you know it you’re heading home.

@Dan, Roger and Denis, likewise, it was great hanging out with you too ;)

@Keith, thanks for stopping by. Hopefully we meet again next year at SXSW who knows ;)

permalink this comment martsmithuk@hotmail.com Mon Jun 26, 2006 at 04.14 am

Thanks for the pdfs - I couldn’t make the conference so they were an interesting read!

permalink this comment Faruk AteÅŸ Sun Jul 2, 2006 at 06.12 am

Happy (totally belated) birthday!

Glad to see you had an awesome time ;)