London @media 2006 Good Design vs Great Design
2006 at 04.25 pm posted by Veerle Pieters
Just got back from Paris today. After @media London, we decided to travel a bit and go to Paris with Dave. It was an honor to speak on @media about design with 2 of my favorite colleague designers Jon Hicks and Cameron Moll.
URLs mentioned in the presentations
- Khoi Vinh’s Subtraction to show that a great design doesn't solely rely on colors and also for examples of how to show hierarchy without changes in type size.
- Jason Santa Maria’s redesign of A List Apart where the typography is the design itself.
- Denis Radenkovic’s LogoLog for examples of clever logos.
- Survey of default fonts installed for Windows, Mac and Unix.
- Sign up for Type catalogues from Type Foundries such as FontFont and House Industries
- Richard Rutters’ Elements of Typographic Style Applied to the web
- Mark Boulton’s series Five Simple Steps to Better Typography.
Let me tell you that was a thrilling experience to be up there and talking in front of a few hundred people. It's not that I do this kind of thing every day. I was pretty nervous at the beginning but once I started off talking about one of my favorite topics, design and colors in particularly things went pretty OK. It was different from speaking at SXSW since this time I knew my panel members, at SXSW I didn't really. That, and also the subject made a big difference to be able to be less nervous.
Too bad I had to miss Jeremy Keith's talking since his session was at the same time. I missed it at SXSW as well. There were a lot of great panels and speakers this year. I especially liked Jeffrey Veen's speech and also Tantek Celik's speech about Microformats. The last one was a hard decision since Andy Clarke was speaking at the same time about design and I wanted to see this as well. I really wanted to find out more about Microformats. Pretty fascinating stuff. It triggered my interest and I'll be looking into what the possibilities are.
My short break
Tomorrow is my birthday and we're heading to Normandy with my friend Cindy. We'll be staying in Honfleur for 2 days and do some sight seeing. She's staying here till June 27th and while she's here I'm taking a bit of a break. I've been in Normandy once, but that was years ago when I was a kid and I really loved it. Hopefully I'll have some great pictures for you to show. Pardon my short absence here. Hopefully you enjoy the pictures on Flickr that will follow.