Apr 18

Macromedia and Adobe Join Forces!

2005 at 01.37 am posted by Veerle Pieters

The most earth scattering news today is the announcement that Macromedia and Adobe join forces. My first reaction was, is this a late April fools?

Macromedia and Adobe Join Forces
But if you look closer on both sites you’ll find information that it is really happening. It is actually Adobe acquiring Macromedia. Under the terms of the agreement, which has been approved by both boards of directors, Macromedia stockholders will receive, at a fixed exchange ratio, 0.69 shares of Adobe common stock for every share of Macromedia common stock in a tax-free exchange.

I don’t know about you but this brings all kinds of questions and uncertainties to my mind. After all it is the two biggest competitors that are joining forces. This can be a good thing but we’ll have to wait and see for sure. All I know is that Macromedia had a good thing going with the next update to Flash. Director is the kid I’m most worried about! Hopefully this won’t be the same story as it once was with Quark acquiring mFactory back in 1998 and later dropping development for it. This left a lot of unhappy users since it was a great app.

And what about DreamWeaver and Freehand, FireWorks? Freehand wasn’t top priority anymore at least that’s the feeling that I got. The DreamWeaver issue is more serious since the team is also on the WASP board for improving web standards support. Keeping two software packages isn’t cost effective so I am pretty sure that there will be some kind of merger between GoLive and DreamWeaver. Let’s hope they keep all the good parts. Personally I still prefer DreamWeaver even with the recent announcement of an updated GoLive. FireWorks is better then ImageReady certainly when it comes to vector support. It is true that since using CSS I don’t use it as often as I used to but it’s still a handy application.

Wait and see what the future will bring, but one thing is sure this is the most surprising news in a very long time. Still recovering and trying to get back into the usual swing of things. Not a good way to start a Monday morning :-s

Update! More information from Mark Chambers, Macromedia Product Manager for Developer Relations on his blog. (Thanks Dominique Peretti)

permalink this comment Simon Davies Mon Apr 18, 2005 at 02.43 am

I think this is going to be a good thing, massive potential, but lets hope they don’t decide to s**t on little ol’ me by ditching Authorware!

They sure as hell ain’t gonna ditch Flash!

permalink this comment kazuhito Mon Apr 18, 2005 at 02.46 am

Thanks for the info. I just checked both Adobe and Macromedia web sites and confirmed that today is NOT April 1st. I don’t have anything to comment here, but I hope Adobe keeps on doing more about web standards.

permalink this comment Dominique Peretti Mon Apr 18, 2005 at 03.02 am

Interesting post of Mark Chambers, Macromedia Product Manager for Developer Relations on his blog.

permalink this comment Calrion Mon Apr 18, 2005 at 03.06 am

Wow!

I don’t think we’ve seen a design software aquisition this big since Aldus.

Hopefully this will give us large improvements to our mission-critical software. I guess it’s a given that we can say goodbye to Adobe LiveMotion though. :)

permalink this comment ziepe Mon Apr 18, 2005 at 03.21 am

Seems we all share a same fear here- the loss of our (personal) favorite program… in my case this is Director, which I started to use more than 10 years ago… and hell yeah - they won’t ditch Flash. We can only keep our fingers crossed when they start to merge the software…

Part happy, part sad-
Ziepe

permalink this comment Jochem Donkers Mon Apr 18, 2005 at 06.21 am

The Economist had a nice article about Adobe’s CEO
Bruce Chizen (http://www.economist.com/printedition/displayStory.cfm?Story_ID=3860760). After reading this, I did not have the impression that design was top priority in Adobe’s product portfolio. This acquisition indicates that it does, never really doubted it though.

It certainly is an interesting merger; combining the digital with the paper spectrum of the publishing world. However, most mergers and acquisitions are unsuccessful, especially the big ones.

permalink this comment Peter Mon Apr 18, 2005 at 07.25 am

I think this will be an overall positive thing. I can see each outfits previously competitive apps and core suites working each other out till only the best is left. This is going to be huge for flash, and the web in general. I personally thought Macromedia would carry on slightly longer, but figured something along these lines would be coming down the pipe very soon.

permalink this comment Bryan Rieger Mon Apr 18, 2005 at 07.26 am

I’m definately not getting a warm and fuzzy from this announcement. Adobe’s been looking to focus on enterprise services and aquiring Macromedia gives them some cred in that space.

Moreso, I can’t imagine that having control of the SWF format doesn’t have HUGE implications for Adobe. SWF combined with Breeze, Flex and PDF really gives them an impressive enterprise document and enterprise offering that they probably couldn’t match without being dragged into court by Macromedia.

I got stung by the mFactory - Quark buyout, I really don’t feel like getting stung again in six months time if (and when) this deal is approved. Time to start looking at potential alternatives while this thing shakes itself out.

permalink this comment Jeremy Boles Mon Apr 18, 2005 at 07.41 am

I’m wondering what is going to happen with SVG.  Adobe was one of the biggest supporters of the markup format but it was sort of a competitor to Flash.

Maybe ColdFusion will die too! (Fingers crossed.)

permalink this comment Jared Christensen Mon Apr 18, 2005 at 07.44 am

What’s next? Microsoft buying Apple? This is crazy news and I heard it first from Veerle!

permalink this comment Adam Michela Mon Apr 18, 2005 at 08.00 am

Haha. I’m with ya on that one Jeremy!

permalink this comment Joao Mon Apr 18, 2005 at 08.39 am

Goodbye my beloved Macromedia.
I think this is (really) the end of the line…
goodbye Fireworks!

permalink this comment Marilyn Langfeld Mon Apr 18, 2005 at 08.49 am

I wouldn’t worry too much about your favorite Macromedia product becoming extinct immediately. Remember, Adobe still sells PageMaker, years after InDesign should have made it extinct.

Of course, there will be many more overlapping programs with this merger, but I’d imagine that Adobe had some specific technologies in mind (Flash and who knows what else), and will add those to it’s product line and let the others die slowly.

permalink this comment Jason Martino Mon Apr 18, 2005 at 01.59 pm

Death to Macromedia! Who needs flash or dreamweaver? A simple text editor, Photoshop and Illustrator is all you need. Has flash or dreamweaver made your life any better?

permalink this comment Stephen O'Connor Mon Apr 18, 2005 at 09.10 pm

Jason, Not everyone is as code savvy as you are code god.

So leave people choose there own way about developing.

Dreamweaver is great for handling sites.

permalink this comment Azeem Azeez Mon Apr 18, 2005 at 09.17 pm

Yes Jason, Dreamweaver cuts my coding time down by around 20%, and Im sure it does for a lot of people.

permalink this comment Josh Jarmin Mon Apr 18, 2005 at 09.31 pm

The main thing I am worried about is the upgrading.  Will my current Studio MX 2004 upgrade to whatever comes next from Adobe?  I also have a copy of Photoshop, so I’m not really worried there, but maybe they will make it so you can upgrade from either Photoshop or Flash.  Can they possibly merge Flash, Dreamweaver and Fireworks into Adobe CS 3 without raising the price alot?

Why was GoLive only offered in the Adobe CS 2 Premium and not Standard?  That was always weird to me.

permalink this comment Damien Mon Apr 18, 2005 at 10.03 pm

What a shock!

We have both CS1 and Studio MX2004.

I use Studio for web work and my Wife uses CS for print stuff - I know a bit like supporting different football teams.

What concerns me is which bits we’re going to lose?
All of the Studio programs are so well integrated and easy to use - ever even thought twice about altering or optimizing images from within Dreamweaver?  Nope.  Whole different kettle of fish to open up and use (after having to learn) Illustrator or Photoshop.

I really don’t have the time or need to learn Photoshop or Illustrator so would be severely disappointed to lose Fireworks.  On the same track, having spent 9 month or so learning web design using DW, I REALLY don’t want to start using GoLIve.

Theres no doubt Adobe’s gone after Flash - and it won’t be lost on anyone that FlashPaper was starting to look too much like a web competitor to PDF for their comfort too - so I imagine thats gone first off the rank.

So, whats going to happen?  Who knows?  Well someone at Adobe does and you can guarantee it’ll be whatever they estimate will make the most money.

As for the comment regards death to Macromedia - even though I’m more than comfortable hand coding both html and css now - Dreamweaver just makes life easier in the workflow.

I just hope for one thing that whatever pans out, that Macromedia’s people and support systems stay place as I’ve found them not only approachable but also extremely helpful and relentless in their support.  A very rare virtue in today’s software world.

permalink this comment Veerle Tue Apr 19, 2005 at 01.09 am

Jason Martino: Your coding skills maybe up to speed but obviously never worked on bigger projects and it shows. If you work on such a large project several different people work together so DreamWeaver let us do this without having to worry about overwriting each others work. The check in and check out feature + synchronize is a godsend. And like others said If you had your own business you also would have known that time is money so DreamWeaver lets us cut back development time even when you have the coding skills. I still find that DreamWeaver has its place in my workflow.

permalink this comment Damien Tue Apr 19, 2005 at 01.35 am

And that’s before we start adding in the flexibility Contribute brings to the party both in house and once the site is complete.

Our clients simply cannot believe how easy it is to use and from our end, the administrative controls etc are superb.  I just hope that Adobe see the ongoing value of Contribute.

permalink this comment Dominique Peretti Tue Apr 19, 2005 at 02.38 am

Veerle : if you like DreamWeaver check-in/check-out features, then you should definitely try a version control system like Subversion, believe me!

permalink this comment Novick Tue Apr 19, 2005 at 05.09 am

Look on the bright side: this might tighten the integration between our favorite apps.

permalink this comment Josh Tue Apr 19, 2005 at 01.23 pm

Hey, I’m just glad that it wasn’t Microsoft who bought out Macromedia. Like many have expressed here, it’s bitter-sweet. We all hope that good apps/qualities of Macromedia don’t get lost in the shuffle. I know I would absolutely hate to lose Fireworks (hopefully they’ll drop ImageReady instead). But I think the potential for this merger is amazing. And I’m very interested to see how this plays out.

permalink this comment Julian Tue Apr 19, 2005 at 06.48 pm

While I try to be optimistic about it, the only thought that comes to my mind is that this can’t be good.

The big competition between both companies was something that brought benefits to us, users. Now, with Adobe’s main competitor out of the race, the prices may go up dramatically. The quality of the softwares may go up, or down, I wouldn’t know.

Well, I just hope it turns out to be something good and that they don’t throw anything MM away.

Adobe is a great company, but I really like and also depend on Macromedia tools. I wouldn’t want to see any of Macromedia’s softwares dead either.

permalink this comment Ankur Tue Apr 19, 2005 at 09.53 pm

I dont think its a good move…more the competition much better products can come up…but with this there will be monoply of Adobe