Dec 14

No More Volume Logic Update

2007 at 08.39 pm posted by Veerle Pieters

A few weeks ago I posted about getting Volume Logic running again after updating to Leopard. It was a fairly complex method to eventually get it running again. Rejoice because Quentin Carnicelli from Rogue Amoeba has come up with a solution that’s a lot simpler.

No more doing the libcrypto dance

So we don't have to use terminal anymore which is always good :) The new method is now as follows:

image

• Quit iTunes
  • Download iWOW (updated for Leopard) Demo and install
  • Quit iTunes or dont start iTunes....
  • Drag the iWOW plugin out of /Library/Audio/Plug-ins/HAL/ to the desktop
  • Ctrl Click iWOW plugin (show package contents)
  • Goto Contents/MacOS/ (you should see iTea.)
  • Ctrl Click VolumeLogic plugin (show package contents)
  • Goto Contents/MacOS/ (you should see iTea.)
  • Replace the iTea located in the Volume Logic plugin with the one from iWOW on the desktop.
  • Download the Latest eSR SDK
  • Mount the eSellerate Embedded SDK and look in the "eSellerate Libs" folder for "EWSMacCompress.tar.gz"
  • Go to /Library/Audio/Plug-ins/HAL/VolumeLogic.plugin
  • Ctrl click and choose "Show Package contents" and open the folder "Resources"
  • Replace the "EWSMacCompress.tar.gz" with the one from the eSR SDK dmg you just mounted

Succes

That should do the trick and Volume Logic should work again. I've tested this with the latest version of iTunes on Mac OS X 10.5.1. Thanks Quentin for the great tip!

Leopard update

There is now a version called Volume Logic 1.3.2L available that you just can install if you are using Leopard. So the steps above aren't needed anymore just install this version.

permalink this comment Dustin Brewer Fri Dec 14, 2007 at 09.55 pm

Nicely done.

permalink this comment Efrain Fri Dec 14, 2007 at 10.17 pm

This is great Veerle. Thanks for the info.

permalink this comment Gordon Mackay Fri Dec 14, 2007 at 10.24 pm

Hi Veerle,

Have you seen this: http://www.volumelogic.com/leopard.html

I downloaded it and installed an my Volume Logic is working without any fuss at all on Leopard.

permalink this comment Veerle Sat Dec 15, 2007 at 10.55 am

Gordon Mackay said:

Have you seen this: http://www.volumelogic.com/leopard.html

Yes I’ve seen that, they posted that fix after I did :) However the big difference with the solution mentioned above is that you don’t have to mess around with the “libcrypto” files by using terminal. That file is not only used by Volume Logic so it’s better to avoid changing things there.

permalink this comment Gordon Mackay Sat Dec 15, 2007 at 10.59 am

Ah, I see :) Thank you…

I just wondered because I only found that page by fluke on the VL site after Googling around for a while… and thought that it had perhaps gone unnoticed to other people too.

permalink this comment Noclegi Sun Dec 16, 2007 at 05.19 pm

Hello Veerle. Thanks for the information. Now indeed it is much straighter. Much appreciated :)

permalink this comment manolo Wed Dec 19, 2007 at 05.54 am

I did your up date but it still gives me activation error.
is it something i did?

permalink this comment Veerle Wed Dec 19, 2007 at 09.44 am

manolo said:

I did your up date but it still gives me activation error. is it something i did?

It must be because this has been tested by myself on two machines and by other readers and it worked flawlessly. I would try it again and read the steps very carefully. Make sure you download and replace “EWSMacCompress.tar.gz”

permalink this comment manolo Wed Dec 19, 2007 at 11.34 pm

I did it again and found a file that said serial and entered the serial in the file saved it. opened itunes and it was activated without asking me anything.

permalink this comment David McElroy Fri Dec 21, 2007 at 07.02 am

Thank you so much for this. You’ve solved the only real problem I’ve had since installing Leopard. Since my Mac is my stereo system, Volume Logic makes all the difference in my enjoyment of the music. So I REALLY appreciate the good info. :-)

permalink this comment Krusty Fri Dec 21, 2007 at 01.33 pm

Bummer.  I am having the same issue as manolo.  I know people say this all the time, but I know what I’m doing.  I develop software for a living ... but I can’t figure out for the life of me what is going wrong.

Did you do this with a fresh install of VL 1.3.2 and it worked?  Fresh install of Leopard?  Or was it an upgraded Leopard that already had VL installed?

Just trying to figure out why I am the only one stuck.  :)  Gonna start digging around for manolo’s magic “serial” location.  I’m assuming it was either in the application bundle’s info.plist file or the preference file?  Guess I’ll never know since he’s not likely to check back after getting it working.

permalink this comment Krusty Fri Dec 21, 2007 at 01.52 pm

Still no luck.  Even when I dumped the preference file, it still picks up some old version of my serial number.  About to tear down everything and retry.

They don’t seem to be hosting any VL downloads at Plantronics any longer ... does anyone have a copy of the 1.3.2L version?  I never got it.  I wonder if installing from the 1.3.2 version (which appears to be a public beta) is causing some of my issues?!

Any info or help would be much appreciated.

permalink this comment Veerle Fri Dec 21, 2007 at 03.36 pm

Krusty said:

My two tests involved Mac’s that had already VL 1.3.2 installed and both of them are updated to Leopard by creating a new system but keeping the settings.

permalink this comment manolo Fri Dec 21, 2007 at 11.17 pm

krusty,
now is the time for miracles see I checked back.
I believe its in one of the bundles I was just messing around.
For the record it was a new 24’ iMac but I believe i dragged the copy i had from my macbook. I opened package contents resources/fxbundle/Show package contents again opened up the serialnumber.plist, looked at the serial then went into the resource folder saw the same named file opened it entered the serial in the same format as the 1st. i also replaced the EWSMacCompress.tar.gz in this folder too.
I opened iTunes and it worked.

permalink this comment Savid Sewell Thu Dec 27, 2007 at 12.15 am

I was have the same problem, with it taking a valid SN
I figured out that you must put the SN in 2 places for it to work

/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/VolumeLogic.plugin/Contents/Resources/FX.bundle/Contents/Resources/SerialNumber.plist

and

/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/VolumeLogic.plugin/Contents/Resources/FX.bundle/Contents/SerialNumber.plist

here is a copy of the SerialNumber.plist file

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>SerialNumber</key>
<string>COPY AND PASTE YOUR SN HERE</string>
<key>Version</key>
<string>1.3.2</string>
</dict>
</plist>

permalink this comment George Creedle Sat Dec 29, 2007 at 09.37 am

I, too, could not activate my registered version (esselrate server never responded) BUT as of 12/28/07, it seems the server is back up and I was able to validate!!! ALSO, for those of you with Public Beta Version, you can install that, (follow Leopard Instructions here) and when it asks for password, use VLBETA07, and it will validate without the server, however, you’ll have to authenticate each time. But try the servers again, I think the;re back up. ALSO, did anyone read about Apple and volume control for iPod - maybe - just maybe - Apple bought out plantronics and will intergrate VolumeLogic and that’s why the site shut down. Its happened before, lets hope that’s the case here…Volume Logic is too important.

permalink this comment Paul Fri Jan 4, 2008 at 08.13 pm

I keep getting the error message: “The operation cannot be completed because the item “iTea” is in use.”

Any way around this?

permalink this comment willky Sat Jan 5, 2008 at 02.54 pm

Hi Veerle, thank you for your blog-post and the easy to understand instruction. It works perfectly…

permalink this comment james Fri Jan 11, 2008 at 12.39 am

i’m getting the same error that paul is getting. grr.

permalink this comment Keely Fri Jan 11, 2008 at 05.27 am

Veerle, you are a life-saver. I paid for VL in Oct. 2007 - imagine my dismay when it no longer worked a couple of months later! It took me a couple of tries and I had to restart before iTea was no longer “in use” so that I could replace the older copy, but everything works now. Thanks so much!

permalink this comment james Fri Jan 11, 2008 at 05.57 am

woohoo! i got it to work, and w/out having to re-enter my sn.  i dragged both iwow and vl to desktop. trashed itea in vl’s content folder, replaced with iwow’s, replaced the esselrate file. fired up itunes. played a random song and it was vl loveness!

now my question is, what do i do w/iwow? uninstall perhaps?

permalink this comment Brian Fri Jan 11, 2008 at 09.01 am

Hi, thanks so much for the info. However things have seemed to have gone wrong for me. I followed your directions (as far as I can tell) to the letter, but now I’m getting an error message when I try and start itunes(!)
Should I completely apzap itunes and do a fresh install or is there something else you’d recommend?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

permalink this comment Krusty Fri Jan 11, 2008 at 04.31 pm

Well, I finally got the “registration” to work, but I’m curious what’s working for everyone else ... because now that I got it to load properly, it does not seem to be functioning at all.  I get no errors, but the levels don’t change while I am playing music and turning it ON/OFF has no effect on the quality of the sound.  :(

I’m so tired of this.  I think I just give up.  Hope Mr. Creedle’s wild speculation is right and Apple bought it.  (That way we could finally have support on our iPods as well.)

permalink this comment james Fri Jan 11, 2008 at 07.17 pm

Brian said:

try booting into safe boot before you decide to go the route that your thinking.  i forgot to mention that on my initial try to do this hack i lost full volume control and prefs. after i booted into safe boot and then rebooted to my normal install my volume control came back. that might work.

to boot into safe boot, restart your machine holding down the shift key till the gray screen with the pen wheel comes up.  check to see if itunes works under safe boot then restart again.

permalink this comment keely Fri Jan 11, 2008 at 07.26 pm

Krusty said:

Sounds to me like nothing changed. After I replaced the two files in the VL plug-in, I didn’t have to re-register, and the levels were back to functioning. Maybe you should just try one more time in case you missed a step?

Brian said:

Sorry, I have no suggestions for you other than to uninstall the plugin altogether and see if that fixes iTunes, and then try adding it back with the updated files as Veerle outlines in the post.

permalink this comment Krusty Fri Jan 11, 2008 at 08.28 pm

Okay.  Finally got it working. I found a copy of version 1.3.2L for download at MacUpdate, thankfully.  As soon as I installed that, everything just worked. I didn’t have to replace iTea, the eSellerate framework or even put my serial number in anywhere. Odd that after all that, Simply installing 1.3.2L fixed everything. Good grief.

I checked the SerialNumber.plist files in the /Library/Audio/Plug-ins/HAL/VolumeLogic.plugin/Contents/FX.bundle/Contents and /Library/Audio/Plug-ins/HAL/VolumeLogic.plugin/Contents/FX.bundle/Contents/Resources directories ... and there was no serial number listed in there.  Those files also specify the wrong version number (1.3.1uBeta3), but whatever.  At least it works.

Btw, it appears that people at Octiv / Plantronics quit trying a while back.  There are weird files included in FX.bundle that have pascal code in them as well as an old project builder project’s plist file.

Thanks to everyone for trying to help. If anyone else was having trouble like me ... go to MacUpdate and grab 1.3.2L!