May 25

Photoshop type tips

2005 at 02.50 am posted by Veerle Pieters

If you’ve enjoyed Mark Boulton‘s excellent typographic series, then these Photoshop tips might interest you. We’re going to put some of what we’ve learned in part 2 into practice in Photoshop.

Hanging puctuation in PhotoshopHanging puctuationIn part 2 Mark talks about hanging punctuation. Since most of you use Photoshop, I'm sure you will be happy to know that you can choose 'Roman Hanging' from the Paragraph palette's pop-up menu which will cause the punctuation marks appear on the outside of the boundaries of the paragraph text box.

All those fonts, tough choice!
Now that we're taking type here I was also thinking about a nice tip I once read if you can't decide which font to use. It can be really time consuming going over the entire list of fonts one by one. By creating an action you can focus on your choice of font without loosing all that time.

• select your type layer in the Layers palette
  • create a new action (click the document icon at the bottom of the Actions palette
  • select the Type tool and click in the Font Family field in the Option Bar
  • hit the down arrow key to scroll the entire list
  • hit the stop button in the Actions palette
  • select the action and choose Playback Options in the drop-down on the top right to set the necessary pause

Enjoy!

permalink this comment Hebe Wed May 25, 2005 at 05.07 am

I like to have a “clean” history-list in Photoshop, and tend to get frustrated when the entire list is filled with “Set Character Style”.

So I use a great online font browser in stead:

STC fontBrowser 2.0

permalink this comment Raven Wed May 25, 2005 at 05.11 am

Nice little tip. Can be a problem indeed to browse through all your fonts to find the right one.

permalink this comment Chris K Wed May 25, 2005 at 06.18 am

Thanks for the tip. I always had a hard time getting it to line up otherwise. Does anyone know if you can use this technique to indent text for bullet points?

permalink this comment criz Wed May 25, 2005 at 07.18 am

Just when i thought I was a photoshop type master… Thanks for yet another great tip.

permalink this comment Veerle Wed May 25, 2005 at 08.08 am

Great to hear these positive reactions:-)

@Hebe, I have to admit that in most cases I just browse the printed version of all my fonts. The tip is handy if you’re planning on using a system font or one of the fonts that is currently loaded (if you use a font management app like SuitCase or FontAgentPro). Thanks for the interesting URL :-)

@criz, I’ve tested it in Photoshop CS and it doesn’t work unfortunately. I haven’t the newest version yet so I have no idea if this is also the case in CS2.

permalink this comment Kim Siever Wed May 25, 2005 at 08.52 am

Hebe,

You can set your history to create a snapshot every time you save the file. Then just save the file, scroll through the fonts, click on the most recent snapshot to clear your history and choose the selected font.

permalink this comment Lisa McMillan Wed May 25, 2005 at 02.25 pm

Thanks for the tips Veerle! You always give such good advice! I always had a hard time with this very thing, and spent hours selecting typefaces. Very often it was the longest part of my design process. Thanks to Tiger and a wonderful little widget called Typecast I save all kinds of time now. If you have a mac, look into it :-) You can type a select word or two and hold down command-downarrow (or uparrow) and it will change your typeface to the next in the alphabetical list. It’s a feature that every graphic design program should have.

permalink this comment Jennifer O. Wed May 25, 2005 at 06.12 pm

I wish it would work for me. Too many fonts I guess. As I was making the action, I go the message that Photoshop had encountered an unexpected error and would now “exit.”

permalink this comment Colin Thu May 26, 2005 at 12.53 am

If you run Tiger you can also use the Type Cast dashboard widget which is only a hotkey away.

permalink this comment Colin Thu May 26, 2005 at 03.03 am

Then he notices someone else has already posted it above… <slaps forehead>

permalink this comment sara Fri May 27, 2005 at 03.23 am

Ik doe steeds het volgende:
- tekst zetten in photoshop
- tekst selecteren
- dan de eerste font selecteren uit het dropdownmenu (en zorgen dat de fontnaam geselecteerd blijft)
- en dan met mijn pijljtes naar onder of boven (selecteerd steeds de volgende/vorige font)

Zo browse ik op een héél eenvoudige manier door al mijn fonts.

Groetjes
Sara

permalink this comment sPECtre Fri May 27, 2005 at 03.32 am

Also, if you link your type layers, then hold ‘shift’ as you scroll your fonts, you can change the font on multiple type layers… (works also to change text color, etc…)

permalink this comment greensurfer Thu Mar 30, 2006 at 11.10 am

You guys can check out from Lynotipe.com then download FontExplore X.

Note from Linotype: “FontExplorer X is available now for download, free of charge. No license fee, no shareware, or nag screens, and no functionality limits. FontExplorer X is free. A service from Linotype.”