Feb 17

PHP developer wanted

2005 at 04.02 am posted by Veerle Pieters

We’re always busy here at Duoh! and sometimes our workload becomes too heavy for our current PHP developer. To make life a little less stress free we are looking for some extra help from the crème de la crème in the programming community. So if you’re interested in doing some freelance work for Duoh! send an email to veerle AT duoh.com with your resume, your rate etc.

The skills required are:

• You must have strong knowledge of PHP/MySQL.

• You should be capable of building a customized CMS system from scratch. Experience with Expression Engine is a plus. Standards-based out-put preferred though not required.

• Standards-compliant XHTML & CSS knowledge. Since we try to follow those guidelines as much as possible. It is not required but a definitely a bonus.

• Show some examples of previous built CMS systems, database driven websites, etc. Give us your motivation to why we should hire you.

I promise that you'll be working on some exciting stuff. If you follow this blog then you'll also know that Duoh! isn't your average boring web agency ;-)

permalink this comment Dominic Rodger Thu Feb 17, 2005 at 06.09 am

I might be interested, I’ve built a CMS from scratch that I can let you take a look at if you want, drop me an e-mail!

permalink this comment Dominic Rodger Thu Feb 17, 2005 at 06.10 am

(correction, URL mistyped)

permalink this comment Zeerus Thu Feb 17, 2005 at 07.47 am

This should be interesting. I would like to see who pops up for this great offer. I’m starting to learn PHP, but I am only following simple tutorials for now. I do have some recommendations though,

try Rick, from www.phpawned.net
He’s pretty good, and he built the PHP CMS on www.greycobra.com

not the validation specific websites you may be used to, but they’re good for people focusing more on graphics and the out of the ordinary coding stuff

permalink this comment B.J. Schaefer Thu Feb 17, 2005 at 09.31 am

Hey, Veerle.  I’m a PHP/SQL (experiences with MySQL and SQLite) developer.  I also have a real passion for web standards and would consider myself talented at building compliant and accessible sites with XHTML/CSS/Javascript.

I’ve been itching to develop a customized CMS for a while.  I understand well how they work (I’ve explored MT, Wordpress, TextPattern, and a few others), and have a lot of ideas for improving upon them, and making a product that really works well.  I’d love to talk to you more about what you’ve got in mind, and maybe what I can do to help!

If you email me, I can give some more specific examples of work, and some better explanations of what I’ve done than I’ve got on my site.
Oh, and my site is only a temporary, stop-gap solution.  I’m currently trying to build a newer incarnation.  I’ve got some content for it (a few articles), but, as I’m sure you know, trying to get a design built for yourself is a hell of a job :)

Best Wishes,
B.J. Schaefer

P.S.
I love you’re blog! ;)

permalink this comment Steven De Groote Thu Feb 17, 2005 at 01.16 pm

A pity for me it comes a year too early…
I would love to do this and I’ve been working with mysql/php/xhtml etc for some time now. I’ve completely programmed my site http://www.f1technical.net/ and am currently busy with 7.0 of that (to be versatile) CMS.

However, I’m still studying, I’m a graduate but am now doing industrial engineer in computer science. This way I don’t have a continuous time scale available, some weeks a lot of time, other weeks close to none.

greetz,
Steven De Groote (22yrs old)

permalink this comment Wim Thu Feb 17, 2005 at 01.54 pm

Pardon my ignorance,

I’m almost a certificated “software developer” and didn’t know anything about computers until 4 years ago. Now I find myself writing single- and multiteired (web)applications. My prefered lanquage for writing dynamic webapplications is Java,  using JBoss or Tomcat(depending on the situation) as the Servletcontainer and mostly using MySql for persistence.

I’m just wondering what PHP actual is. My quess is that it’s a scripting language and not an OOLanguage. Is this correct?

The reason for asking is that I see a lot of PHP build website’s on the net and less Java web applications. Or maybe is PHP more common to people who are in the… let’s say “GUI or front-end business”?

It’s also the first comment on this site I write, found it after searching on CSS stuff and since I’ve got a passion for Adobe Photoshop and web design I regular visit this place.

Cheers ;-)

permalink this comment joao Thu Feb 17, 2005 at 01.55 pm

Expression Engine, as in Regular Expressions the ones who php imported from perl, or as building an Expression Engine ?

permalink this comment pierre Thu Feb 17, 2005 at 01.56 pm

I’m following your blog with interest , especialy for design ! I’m basicaly a software engineer (OOP speciality) and I’ve develop a kind of CMS with PHP5, continualy ameliorating ergonomy and accessibility. As all my web sites, the CMS is XHTML/CSS compliant.

You can experiment it a while at this demo site (made for a prospect), and it was used as the CMS for soffio web site.

I’ve also made two other CMS based on PHP4/MySQL (try this one Weblog, with respect please, this was the first one)

If you want to look at PHP sources to be more confident on my work, feel free to ask me by mail !

Good luck.

Pierre

permalink this comment Peter Thu Feb 17, 2005 at 01.57 pm

Expression Engine, as in the CMS over at www.pmachine.com

permalink this comment Dustin Diaz Thu Feb 17, 2005 at 03.18 pm

I would love to move out to wherever the ‘in-house’ office is. This sounds like the perfect job for me. php/mysql/xhtml/css/web standards :)

All right up my alley :)
Is there another place where I can find more info about the job? perhaps The Location more importantly?

permalink this comment matt Thu Feb 17, 2005 at 06.55 pm

*wim - www.php.net.  You’ll find what you’re looking for there.  PHP is a server-side general purpose scripting language that can be embedded directly into your HTML code for dynamic output.  Although it’s technically been OO all along, the recent release of PHP 5 has brought the Object Oriented capabilities of PHP into play more than before.

permalink this comment Veerle Fri Feb 18, 2005 at 03.14 am

@joao: It’s indeed the answer that Peter provided. I meant Expression Engine the CMS from pMachine.

@Dustin: It’s a freelance job opportunity so you could work from wherever you are. We’re located in Belgium so that’s a bit out of your alley I think ;-)

Thanks to all who have applied already. Keep em coming nothing final yet! It will take some time to go through all those portfolios ;-)

permalink this comment Ryan Brooks Fri Feb 18, 2005 at 09.47 am

A perfect opportunity, although about a year too late… Blast… Anyways, best of lucking finding someone! Definately get some source code demos too, and do some knowledge testing - there are quite a few hacks out there that say ‘yes, I can do that’ but really can’t.

-Ryan

permalink this comment pierre Fri Feb 18, 2005 at 04.51 pm

Oops, the URL to test the little demo CMS is in a subdir called private ( click here )...

As Ryan says, reading piece of code can make the difference.

Bye

permalink this comment AkaXakA Sat Feb 19, 2005 at 10.35 am

What about someone with deep knowledge of several CMS’s (wp/txp/mambo/xaraya/lucid) and expert xhtml/css ?

But then again, the title doesn’t say PHP developers needed for nothing.

Good luck in finding the proper person.

permalink this comment Dustin Diaz Sun Feb 20, 2005 at 11.34 pm

I would think they would want someone who can build a cms from scratch and not just know about cms’s.

The biggest problem that could possibly conflict with this job is that 90% of the code I’ve written is proprietary for one company in particular. I’m not exactly sure which code I would be able to re-use etc.etc…

Anyway, I’ll give it a shot :)

permalink this comment px Mon Feb 21, 2005 at 08.07 pm

Dustin does awesome work! Plus he’s always a dear and helps answers questions his apprentice has. :0D

permalink this comment John Blaze Tue Feb 22, 2005 at 08.56 am

You should be aware of MySQL’s new license (circa version 3.23.56 and above).  It’s not free for business use and/or your work must be GPL’d.  If not your company ‘could’ face the long arms of MySQL parent company in the future….  I would look @ PostgreSQL, it’s better and free as in beer.  ;)

PS. PostgreSQL Version 8 now was naive Windows support.

permalink this comment Dries Horions Thu Mar 10, 2005 at 01.48 am

I have been buidling websites in php for the last 4 years now.  I don’t have many public projects I can show off, but I am busy developing a CMS at the moment just to kill time and to replace my current website ( not really something to be very proud of ).  I have built several web-applications for the KULeuven (php and bsp), but they are only for personell or students, so I can’t really show them.

I’m looking for a freelance job for some time and have lot’s of time to spend .