Nov 20

Poll: How do you lefties use a Wacom tablet?

2008 at 04.20 pm posted by Veerle Pieters

I’m currently testing a Wacom Cintiq 12WX. I’ve never used a Wacom or any other tablet before, and I’ve always wondered how this would work for me as a left-handed person who is used to work with a mouse right-handed for more than 15 years now. I’ll write down my thoughts in more detail later, but first I want to pick your brain if you use a tablet as a lefty too:)

My situation is a bit complicated I guess. I am left-handed, but I do certain things, such as writing and cutting with a pair of scissors, with my right hand, because teachers taught me to do so when I was little. Drawing happens with my left hand as well as playing tennis or bowling for example.

Poll

Jono from I Love Typography actually gave me the idea to do a poll. There are a few questions that are keeping me busy while testing this tablet:

Question 1

How is your display set-up when you are using a Wacom with built-in display? Is your computer display the main screen? Or do you move the Finder menubar to the Wacom display?

Question 2

If you use a tablet with built-in display and your computer display is rather big, let's say 24" or 30" inch. On which display do you work mainly? When do you decide to switch?

Question 3

Are there any left-handed people like me that are using the mouse with their right hand and use the Wacom with the left hand? Any tips for me on how to overcome the learning curve?

Question 4

On the Wacom you have these Touch Strips and ExpressKeys that you can configure to use as keystrokes (and other options). Mine are configured for the command, shift and option key. I use the combination of these keys a lot while I'm designing in Photoshop or Illustrator. E.g. I need to horizontally duplicate an object. So I need both shift + option key to do this. I also have to press the command key because I usually have another tool selected at that moment. It means I have to use the Pen with left hand while pressing all 3 buttons on the Wacom with the right hand (see picture below). What's your experience with these kind of situations?

Wacom Cintiq 12WX

Some questions are aimed to left-handed people, but if you are right-handed don't hesitate to share your tablet experience as well.

permalink this comment roely Thu Nov 20, 2008 at 05.00 pm

I wondered that you never used a Wacom,
But to your questions:
I use a 24 and a 20 inch display. Both at the same time with my Intuos pen. But unlike many colleagues I use my pen in mousemode which I find much easier than in penmode.

Concerning the touch strip: this is an excellent thing for combining keys and even text. I use it frequentlly with different replace items in Indesign for instance.
In your case: you can combine the command shift and option key in one keystroke. On the dutch wacom: use the option: ‘modificatietoets’ and select the keys you want combined together. Or ‘toestaanslag’ also for a combination but combined with text you need to insert.

permalink this comment Philip Thu Nov 20, 2008 at 05.02 pm

Hi Veerle,

I’m left handed, too. I don’t have a Cintiq but an Intuos.

I project my Wacom only to the big main screen and keep proportions. This will cut a litte of your wacom canvas but you can draw circles :)

My learning curve was quick because I write with my left hand. But it shouldn’t take long anyways. Just doodle a little.

I’d highly recommend to set brush increase/decrease to your strip for Photoshop. It’s a great workflow for all brush tools. Since we left handed can’t hit command+z while using the Wacom you should set undo to one of your pen buttons.

That’s how I use mine. :)

Philip

permalink this comment Dave McNally Thu Nov 20, 2008 at 05.25 pm

I am left handed but do everything else besides writing and drawing with my right hand so the mouse is usually in the right hand, the pen in the left.

1.) I use an Intuos3 so the only display remains as the monitor. I have the tablet mapped to the full screen.

2.) My tablet doesn’t have a display.

3.) I do things this way but it has always felt natural to me. I treat the tablet as if it were paper so overcoming the difference in using a mouse in the other hand was never much of a problem for me.

4.) The touch strips always got in my way by accidentally swiping them with my left hand whilst drawing. You can either disable them in the tablet properties or set them to only respond to the pen which removes accidental hand swiping. You can also set one of the button as a combination of key strokes which can be used for CTRL + SHIFT + ALT combinations which means only having to press one button. You could even set one the buttons to create a pop up menu in the application for further shortcuts without holding more than one button.

Hope this helps, I’d be happy to answer any other questions you may have.

permalink this comment Jin Thu Nov 20, 2008 at 05.25 pm

I love my Intuos3 and I’m a lefty! I do everything with left hand, except for writing.

Q1.
I have two monitors. In Photoshop/Illustrator, the main workarea is on the right monitor. The left monitor has all the tool boxes. I find it easier to switch to different brushes this way.

Q3.The key to shortening the learning curve is, don’t use your mouse at all. use the tablet for everything. It may be hard at first, but you’ll get used to it in no time.

Good luck and have fun!

permalink this comment Vu Nguyen Thu Nov 20, 2008 at 05.48 pm

I just bought a Cintiq 12WX recently as well. I am left handed but was force to write with my right hand when I was a kid. Now I kind of draw and paint with both of my hands.

1/ My wacom displays only the canvas and photoshop toolbar. I use a 24 Dell to have all the other panels open.

2/ I prefer to work directly on the wacom display, that is why I bought a Cintiq in the first place. I also have a 6x4 Intuos 3 and a 12x12 Intuos 2, but have never felt comfortable with them.

3/ I agree with Jin about not using your mouse at all.

4/ The touch strips control brush sizes for me because I use my Wacom mostly for sketching and painting.

permalink this comment laura Thu Nov 20, 2008 at 06.13 pm

I’m left handed, too, and also I don’t have a Cintiq but an Intuos.
I project my Wacom to use the full screen mode and pen mode, even the left side functions are off - to avoid touch them when I’m drawing/retouching with my left hand-.
I use the mouse with my right hand -but a usb one, as I don’t like the mouse that come with the Wacom tablet.
Often I use both hands when I’m working on photoshop or illustrator, the pen to draw and retouch and the mouse to reach some settings or tools on the right side of my screen.
My learning curve was quick,  I write with my left hand and still do a few things with my right hand.

You can set up as well command+z on right functions buttons of your Wacom. I have set up those buttons for command, option and shift, space bar and double click and right click on the grip pen buttons.

Hope that help you. :)

Laura

permalink this comment Michael Byström Thu Nov 20, 2008 at 06.18 pm

Hi Veerle and good choice.

I have this set up

1. I flip the Finder to the Cintiq when I use it beacuse of the menu bar. I did try to use it with the 30” but it’s to big and the constant flipping between monitors slows you down because you have to refocus your eyes then the hi-resolution of the 30” makes the cursor erratic when you are on the 30”. I found “for my work” the I only need the screen that the cintiq offers.

2. Most of work that needs a human touch… I mean when I do stuff that I would do with a pen. Example, I do not use the cintiq for Web-design because thats more pixel work and I am faster with the mouse but if I had to retouch a picture or make something more live, fluent, real I will use the Cintiq or I will not use it to design something i InDesign. It’s hard to explain. You’ll figure it out :-)

3. I’m right-handed.

4 I actually don’t use them because I have on hand on the keyboard all the time and thats the way I’m fastest.

I moved to the cintiq from a intuos 3 and I love it but it’s not for everybody. One of the things I noticed very early was that I my work got allot more detail.

Good luck
Michael Byström

permalink this comment John Thu Nov 20, 2008 at 07.04 pm

1&2. Since I only have a tablet, I can’t answer this one (yet).
Question 2

3. Being left handed, I resisted using the tablet for a long time. I hated the loss of keyboard shortcuts that I had spent years honing with my left hand and right mousing. Now I either draw/stylus with the left hand and mouse the menus or if I can get my right hand to cooperate, I use it for shortcuts. I am starting to like having the option of drawing left and then using the mouse for palettes and pulldown menus. I just have to remember not to move the mouse while the stylus is still touching the tablet because the double input makes weird stuff happen.

4. I disabled the touch strips because my tablet has them on the left side where my hand keeps touching it while I draw. I did program certain shortcuts to the pen button such as UNDO. Having that with a simple pen button click is nice since my left hand can’t hit CMD-Z.

Congrats on the Cintiq!

permalink this comment Aaron Thu Nov 20, 2008 at 07.51 pm

I’m a lefty who uses his right hand for the mouse.

I still use my left hand when on my Wacom, and I haven’t really encountered a learning curve. My left hand will be on the Wacom with my right hand on the keyboard running shortcuts and tool selection.

I find it beneficial to be a lefty and using my right hand on the mouse. I can just lift the Wacom pen up, do heavier lifting with the mouse and then drop the pen back down to the tablet. I’m much faster that way.

permalink this comment tontechniker Thu Nov 20, 2008 at 08.46 pm

Intuos, 30” + 17” (MBP) and right handed all the time. I use only the big button for display switching. The other buttons are to small and their pressure point is not very good. My keyboard is located directly over the tablet so I use the modifier keys of the keyboard.

permalink this comment David Tapper Thu Nov 20, 2008 at 11.14 pm

I am a lefty who used a wacom tablet but had to stop because it was too clumsy.

Before I got it, I used my mouse in my right hand and always had my left hand on the keyboard.  I had to use the pen my left hand for the tablet, but then found I had to keep putting down the pen to issue keyboard commands.  All the useful commands are on the left side of the keyboard! So I gave it up and went back to the mouse.

permalink this comment Emma Fri Nov 21, 2008 at 12.25 am

Question 1

As I’m still lusting after the Cintiq, I can only guess that I would use it normally and hunch over it like a drawing pad. (AK, I don’t know)

Question 2

I always watch the larger screen unless I’m doing detail work.

Question 3

I’m an ambi, but I draw mainly with my right and do large gestures with my left.  The learning curve was just practice until I could get it so my strokes were quick enough to be sans squiggle, and to have ctrl+z ready to go any minute.

Question 4

I’ve *always* hit that on accident, so I just end up turning them off.  I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been working on a flash project and all of a sudden I’ve lost my place because the whole screen zoomed out and the eye that was previously taking up the full 30” monitor is not no bigger than a pencil eraser.

permalink this comment Paul Webb Fri Nov 21, 2008 at 12.27 am

Whoah, you’re a lefty too? That’s pretty awesome. Like you, I use my left hand for writing/drawing and my right hand for everything else, including my mouse [my teachers did the same to me].

I’m curious to read the responses as well because I was thinking about getting a Wacom tablet.

permalink this comment Chris Lienert Fri Nov 21, 2008 at 01.37 am

While I’m technically right handed, I’m somewhat ambidextrous and regularly flip between left and right for various tasks. Without a tablet, I think a mouse is best used in the left hand to then open up the extended keyboard to the right.

Oddly enough, I currently have two mice connected - one on each side of the keyboard.

#1 + 2 aren’t applicable since I have an Intuous.

#3 Since I generally draw and write with my right hand, I prefer to work the opposite way round with my mouse in the left and tablet on the right. The best advice I can provide is to keep shuffling things around until you find a configuration that works for you!

#4 I’m still working out the best use of the shortcuts. So far, I’ve only changed one button to flip which screen(s) the tablet draws on.

permalink this comment Dustin Wilson Fri Nov 21, 2008 at 04.01 am

I’ve owned a tablet since my sophomore year of high school in 1999 when I saved up my money for quite some time so I could have one. On a trip to Houston to visit my aunt I stopped by a CompUSA which contained a Wacom booth with a bunch of kids wowing at ruining perfect tablets. They had one of each of their sizes of the table. I was able to look at each of the ones they had to pick out what fit me the best. Today I find it the most important piece of equipment to my job aside from the computer itself.

1. I have an Intuos 3 12x12, so I don’t have a screen, but I have two 23” displays, and my tablet is set to only one of them.

2. I usually switch when I need to do something by hand. That usually involves illustration either through pressure sensitive brushes in Illustrator or by literally painting in Photoshop and Painter. Things like hand-drawn type are amazing especially with Illustrator’s smoothing abilities. I don’t use it as a replacement for a mouse, but for a method to actually draw or paint using a computer. Things that in the past would have required a printout and some time on a light table takes only minutes when scanned into the computer and traced using the tablet and Illustrator.

3. I’m right-handed, but the trick to overcoming the learning curve is to relax and to get it off that desk. Lean back in your chair, put the tablet in your lap, and have fun. I see the whole point of using the tablet is to get away from the keyboard and mouse. My keyboard, however, isn’t far away when I do need to use it. The biggest learning curve for me using the tablet to begin with was simply learning to look at the screen and not near my hand to see what I’m drawing. You won’t have that problem with a Cintiq.

Others aren’t like that, and I’ve seen weird things such as literally attaching one of Apple’s new slim keyboards to the top of a tablet so there’d be a keyboard. One guy I know actually has an easel where he has a tablet and a keyboard there within reach.

I have the same things set as you do for the buttons, but I don’t tend to press them that often.

permalink this comment Adam Fri Nov 21, 2008 at 08.32 am

Just like you I’m a left handed, right handed mouse user. But I think comes to my benefit when using standard my Wacom tablet.
I hold the pen in left hand but mouse in right hand. This gives me control over pen but I never feel lost in the screen and can easily use the mouse to move around quickly.

permalink this comment Veerle Pieters Fri Nov 21, 2008 at 03.12 pm

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences. Two things I didn’t realize was the fact that you can set a button to a combination of keystrokes and that it was possible to activate a popup menu.

Right now have configured 1 button on the tablet to the combination of keystrokes : command+shift+option and 1 button to show a dropdown menu with the shortcuts I’m using a lot such as save, close, quit, copy, cut, paste, paste in front, paste in back, select all, deselect…. Then 1 other button is set to command and another one to shift. One of the pen buttons is set to undo. I’ve also disabled the touch strip on the left and I have set the right strip to scroll only, though I hardly use it. Let’s see how this goes. It’s getting better by the day already :) Drawing directly on the screen is really fun. I think it’s important to give it time and not to give up quickly.

One thing I think is an advantage being left-handed, is that I can easily switch from pen to mouse. Right now I try to use only my pen just so I learn to use it well. I’ve been using the pen 2 days in a row and I’m really progressing now.

permalink this comment Stepher Fri Nov 21, 2008 at 03.25 pm

Great news! Veerle got a cintiq. Now I’m jealous.

I don’t have the the cintiq, but I love my intuos tablet. Also, I must admit I’m right handed, but have two mice (one on either side) and a tablet hooked up at all times, as I like to have my options open and give my right hand a rest sometimes.

Mostly I use my pen in Photoshop, you can’t beat pressure sensitivity for retouching/healing.

My tablet is set up to only work on one of my monitors (the main one) I found that with two monitors and a free range tablet, was tedious to remain on the monitor I wanted to work in.

In Photoshop: My favourite custom setting, is to map the <space> bar to one of the pen buttons to act like the hand tool. That zip around a zoomed image easily while still having a hand free to use other shortcuts.

permalink this comment Seth Nickerson Fri Nov 21, 2008 at 04.49 pm

I’m a lefty, and I find it interesting that all these left-handed people were forced to change their habits by someone while growing up, or just learned to do some things right handed out of necessity or convenience. Anyway, as for the poll…

1. I have a cheapo Graphire, which is small and not super accurate, but it’s still good for some tasks or when I just want to give my right hand a break.

2. No display :(

3. I did feel that there was a bit of a learning curve because I was so accustomed to using a mouse, but the more you use it the more it does feel like using pen and paper again, and it’s nice, especially just for sketching and brainstorming.

4. Another drawback of the Graphire I have: no buttons. So I have to use the modifier keys with my right hand while holding the pen in my left, which is awkward sometimes.

permalink this comment billseymour Fri Nov 21, 2008 at 04.56 pm

Interesting discussion. I’d like to throw in an additional question: for those using the Cintiq 12”, are the Ps icons and dialog boxes readable on the 12” screen? I am not concerned about the screen size for drawing/editing, since I’ve been sketching on smaller pads for 25 years- but being able to easily see and select Ps tools/dialogs, that I wonder about. Thanks.

permalink this comment Vu Nguyen Fri Nov 21, 2008 at 05.39 pm

@billseymour: The screen is just a little bit smaller than a macbook’s screen. The resolution is the same, so you will be able to see the icons pretty clearly. I myself wear relatively heavy glasses and I can still read them without the glasses.

permalink this comment Veerle Pieters Fri Nov 21, 2008 at 06.05 pm

billseymour said:

For those using the Cintiq 12”, are the Ps icons and dialog boxes readable on the 12” screen?

It has the same resolution (1280 x 800) as a MacBook, but it’s 12” instead of a 13”. I find the icons and dialogue boxes very readable. The icons aren’t tiny or anything in case you wonder.

permalink this comment Jesse Fri Nov 21, 2008 at 07.43 pm

Like some others, 1 and 2 don’t apply because I don’t have the cintiq, but, question three brings something else to mind. I’m a righty for everything, but when I use keyboard shortcuts (almost constantly), I greatly prefer to use my left hand. For this reason, I have my keyboard and tablet next to each other, not in front of one another as you have in the photo. This allows me to ignore the buttons on the tablet and use the touch strips for zoom and scroll (though pretty infrequently). I’m not sure if this helps you with your cintiq.

I also never use my mouse…ever.

*Caution, extended use of tablets is highly addictive and can result in withdrawal when tablets are not available, commonly known as tabletitis. There is no cure for this.

permalink this comment billseymour Fri Nov 21, 2008 at 11.51 pm

Thanks for information/clarification on icon/dialog size, Veerle. The smaller Cintiq intrigues me.

I think topics like this, which survey workflow and technique, are useful and interesting.

permalink this comment Michael Sat Nov 22, 2008 at 01.55 pm

I generaly have computers set up right handed, but I am left handed. I find I will use my right hand for general computer use, but whenever doing anything precice, I sub conciously cross my hands - so I’ll have my right hand on the keyboard, and my left hand underneath it moving the mouse.

permalink this comment Andrew Sun Nov 23, 2008 at 02.41 am

I’m left handed and use a mouse (trackball actually) with my right.  I only have a little Graphire tablet, so I can’t answer most of the questions, but I find having the mouse on one side of the keyboard and the tablet on the other is great.  I tend to do office stuff with a mouse (just works better for me), but obviously switch to the tablet when I’m drawing.  That way I can move between them without rearranging my desk.

I actually use both at once quite often: position the cursor with the tablet and then hit the double click button on the trackball.  Like Jesse I’m a big keyboard shortcut user, and I can hit these with my right hand too.

I’m afraid I don’t have any useful switching tips.  I moved to a trackball before I started using Photoshop (RSI-type problems) and have had a tablet from the beginning.  I do find it almost impossible to do anything graphics-related with a mouse though…

permalink this comment Lars Hoss Mon Nov 24, 2008 at 10.56 am

So nice to see that I am not the only one who is a lefty but uses the mouse with his right hand :-) I have a Intuos A5 wide and trying to figure out how to work with keyboard, mouse and tablet effectively. Therefore thanks for the thread and all the great info! Can’t wait to get back home and try some things out :-)

permalink this comment Fernando Weno Mon Nov 24, 2008 at 03.15 pm

Hi,
I only use the Wacom Intuos 9x12, so i don’t have the built in display.
Althogh, directly to the questions:

#3 - I work mainly with the pen at the left hand and the right over the keyboard, accessing the shortcuts to the tools. I’m a heavy adobe illustrator user.

There’s a learning curve to get the right movements with the pen, but it’s ok. Daily you’ll get more comfortable with the tablet.

#4 - I don’t use the expressions keys.
I just use the lateral button on the pen.

[]s

permalink this comment Jake L Mon Nov 24, 2008 at 05.38 pm

I can only answer questions 3 and 4 as I only have an Intuos and not a Cintiq.

3. I really don’t think there’s a way around just practicing.  It may be bit easier for you since you can use it as a stylus rather than a mouse.

4. I only figured this out recently, but you can save button configurations for specific applications.  For example, I have a button for Ctrl+Z (I’m on Windows), which gets replaced by Ctrl+Alt+Z when I use Photoshop.  In Photoshop I also have the spacebar mapped to one of the buttons for easy panning.  Also, there’s no need to disable the left touch strip - you can set it so that it only activates when you use it with the pen.

permalink this comment Stanni Tue Nov 25, 2008 at 09.13 am

Hey Veerle,

I can’ t answer all of your questions, but I’m a lefty too and I must say, I love my tablet! It’ s even easier for you, you use your left hand for your tablet, and your right hand for the mouse, that’ s great because switching between them is easy that way. I use my left hand for the mouse and my tablet, so sometimes it’ s a bit slow to switch easily between the two of them. Tablets are great, I’m sure you get used to a tablet soon! (especially a super cool cintiq! *jealous*! ;)
Btw, I really like your blog!

permalink this comment Shad Tue Nov 25, 2008 at 02.43 pm

Not sure this has been posted (haven’t read all the comments), but there’s some 40 tutorials here on how to use your tablet.

permalink this comment Tracey Grady Fri Nov 28, 2008 at 12.21 pm

I’m left-handed as well. I use an Intuos tablet. These days I use it instead of a mouse, even for web surfing and other non-graphic applications, but I keep a mouse handy for right-clicking and using the scroll wheel.

I also have problems brushing some of the buttons with my left hand, and I didn’t realise the buttons could be configured to respond to the pen only, so it’s been useful reading the comments on this post! Otherwise I’m completely used to using the pen/tablet now, and picking up the mouse from time to time.

I recommend moving the tablet over to the left side of your work station for ergonomic reasons. Keeping it right in the centre of your desk isn’t go to do your wrist and arm any favours.

I also work in an animation studio, where left handers (with a left-positioned tablet) run into problems when they sit next to right handers (with a right-positioned tablet), because two tablets sitting close together cause the cursor on both computer screens to shake like crazy.

permalink this comment Isabelle Sat Nov 29, 2008 at 04.03 pm

I’m kinda weird. I’m left-handed for writing but i’m right-handed for everything else (sports, etc). I’ve always had the computer’s mouse in my right hand.

But i’ve got a problem. I can’t draw with my right hand. The mouse do big move not precise one.

My only solution has been a Wacom tablet that i’ve had last year. And now, I can produce what I have in head.

Wacom changed my life. Geek.

permalink this comment Frans Mon Dec 1, 2008 at 09.35 pm

1, 2. I only own an el cheapo Trust tablet, so not applicable. :P
3. I use my mouse with both left and right, but I prefer to use my mouse with my left hand because that results in a more effective mouse/keyboard configuration for me. This way the main keys are in the middle, which makes for decent typing, the mouse slightly to the left and the numpad and such slightly to the right. If I use my right hand then either the main keys are too far to the left or the mouse too far to the right. Anyway, when I do use my el cheapo tablet I just tend to push my mouse backward and use it as a mouse replacement as well.
4. Yeah… given that el cheapo also means a lot smaller I just push my keyboard a bit more to the right than I’d usually do so that I can draw a little bit closer to the middle (I don’t even want it to be exactly in the middle). It does have some configurable things, but I find it easier to just use the keyboard.

Anyway, since it’s just a hobby for me I haven’t even unpacked the tablet since I moved, but it is quite pleasant to use as a mouse replacement as well in my opinion. The main problem I had when I did have it plugged in that (electro-)magnetic interference makes the mouse move around. Or in other words, I couldn’t put any electronic things on it while I wasn’t using it, so I ended up unplugging it all the time.

permalink this comment Henrik Aagaard Wed Dec 3, 2008 at 10.26 am

Answer 1

I have two 23” Cinema Displays and a Wacom Intuos3. So no built-in display!

Answer 2

No built-in display!

Answer 3

I’m a lefty and do use mouses with my right hand and the Wacom with my left. I really don’t have any difficulties doing this as I usually writes with my right hand and draws with the left. On a daily basis though, I don’t use a mouse, just the Wacom. I love the fact that it can be used to represent the display so when I put the pen in the upper left corner it does it with the mouse on the screens. This makes it very fast to point and click.

It took me a while to get use to though. About a month. But I simply removed the mouse and forced myself into only using the Wacom. Hard but efficient! Now I wouldn’t go back for anything in the world!

Answer 4

I really don’t use the Touch Strips and ExpressKeys but mainly my keyboard with the right hand. I have the setup so the Wacom is left to the keyboard. Not beneath.

permalink this comment Cameo Wed Dec 3, 2008 at 08.35 pm

Q3:
A great way to get use to the tracking when using a pen (and to help figure out whether the pen mode or mouse mode works best for you) is to use it to browse the internet. You don’t have to be nearly as precise when you move the curser around and click than you do when you’re in Illustrator trying to grab small points or handles. Once you get a little more use to it, then it makes using it in any other program easier.

I’ve used a Wacom tablet solely for five years and it greatly helps reduce the amount of strain on my arm.

permalink this comment Adam Clark Fri Dec 5, 2008 at 01.38 pm

I’m a non-natural leftie (was right handed until aged 6) using a standard optical mouse (cheap company) with my right but do use my own wacom with my left hand - aaah wacom tablets, they make the world of design a nicer place!

I still use my keyboard for commands, I still can’t get used to using the command strips and built-in buttons on the tablet.

Learning curve shouldn’t be too hard just practise practise.