Nov 13

Speaking at Web Directions North

2006 at 01.41 pm posted by Veerle Pieters

I’m just starting to settle in in our new place and the next exciting adventure already comes knocking at my doorstep. One of the countries that has always been on my to-go list is Canada, the world’s second biggest country with its 24 thousand kilometers coastline. Its great nature is one of the reasons I want to visit it. Now I have another, it’s called “Web directions North”.

Northern Exposure

Not so long ago I got an e-mail from Dave Shea asking me if I would be interested in coming to his hometown Vancouver to speak at Web Directions North. After some serious thinking I accepted the invitation. You have to know that the event is brought to you by Dave Shea, Derek Featherstone, Maxine Sherrin and John Allsopp. The last two people are renown for their Web Directions in Australia, a top-notch conference. All the more reason I'm eager to go and I'm looking forward to work with Dave again.

Speakers list

There is a great line-up of speakers and the topics covered are very interesting. One of the people on that list is Douglas Bowman. To my knowledge it will be his first public speaking gig since he moved to Google to become their Lead Visual Designer. Doug has always been an inspiration for me, his work is stellar! We haven't seen each other since @Media 2005, London and that's what I call a nice bonus :) You know these events are all about meeting people. All necessary information about schedules, speakers registrations are found on the Web Directions North website.

Web Directions North - Vancouver, BC, Canada - Feb 6-10 2007

Skiing

Me at the age of 4 on my first skiing holiday at Les 2 Alpes, France (1973)So when Dave told me of the optional two days of skiing it brought back a lot memories. The Blackcomb Whistler sounds great, 30 feet of snow a year, 200+ trails from beginners to the blackest of double black diamonds, terrain parks, 7 mile long runs and home of the 2010 Winter Olympics.

I've been skiing since the age of 4. I still remember this vividly. It was Les 2 Alpes in France and the first French word I learned in ski class was "salo" :D and I remember the teacher kept saying "en avance". Since then I didn't spend any Christmas at home until I was 24. We were always on ski holiday in the French Alps or in Tirol, Austria. We went to Val Thorens, France for years in a row. I really saw that village growing from new, tiny and unknown to huge and super popular over the years. We went skiing at least 2 times a year, sometimes even three times, with the family. I know, you can say it, I've been spoiled rotten as a kid/teenager :) Though, the last time I've skied was years ago. It was Kronplatz (South Tirol), Italy with my boyfriend Geert, Christmas '93-'94. I miss skiing because I really love doing it and love the mountains, but I became far less "fanatic" than my family. No year goes by or they went skiing at least 1 time.

One more thing

I need to figure out the fastest way to fly to Vancouver as it seems that there aren't any direct flights from Brussels to Vancouver with SN Brussels Airlines as they only fly to Montreal and Toronto. Any suggestions?

permalink this comment Bogie Mon Nov 13, 2006 at 02.08 pm

You could try:

KLM via Amsterdam (12 hours, 5 minutes) = 1303 EUR

Air Canada via Frankfurt (13 hours, 45 minutes) = 1364 EUR

Lufthansa, then Air Canada via London Heathrow (13 hours, 30 minutes) = 1384 EUR

permalink this comment Roger Mon Nov 13, 2006 at 02.38 pm

I don’t know about “quick flights”, but if you want to see where you’re headed, I’ve taken a lot of photos of Vancouver.

www.tripleman.com

permalink this comment Steph Boudreau Mon Nov 13, 2006 at 03.38 pm

Yeah, come on over Veerle. The whole country would love to have you over for beer.

permalink this comment Roguish Smurf Mon Nov 13, 2006 at 03.41 pm

Not exactly sure about timings/cost (it should be cheaper than Air Canada), if you can get a direct flight in to Toronto, take the “discount” carrier WestJet to Vancouver. They’re like a Canadian version of SouthWest Airlines.

The official Whistler-Blackcomb site has some existing air travel specials from within North America. From the Vancouver Airport, these transfer options are available.

permalink this comment Mark Mon Nov 13, 2006 at 04.41 pm

What a shame such things are never done in the Netherlands or Belgium, as I would love to attend to this conference.

Hopefully you will post a nice summary of the event, maybe even some PDF files with lots of info?

Anyway, I wish you a good presentation on the 8th of February!

permalink this comment Mike Mon Nov 13, 2006 at 05.47 pm

It’s a pity there’s no such thing for KLM yet, like what now exists for Air France (“Airport” Brussels-Midi ZYR). Btw, Air France doesn’t fly to Vancouver… I checked. KLM it will have to be, and with a slow train to A’dam :-(

permalink this comment Kurt Mon Nov 13, 2006 at 06.51 pm

Veerle, would suggest that you ask Connections (don’t use their web, but go to an agency and make them look hard… the airline web sites are not built to give you the cheapest fare automatically…). Last time I went to Vancouver I used Lufthansa via Frankfurt (good service), but you might have a look at UK carriers out of London, or Irish carriers out of Dublin as well. Also remember that sometimes it’s cheaper to stay a day or two longer as fares can differ enormously from one date to another.

permalink this comment Soy Tue Nov 14, 2006 at 12.29 am

I propose everyone to share his memories about skiing. I don’t have anyone, but this year I’m going to make them

permalink this comment Steve Tue Nov 14, 2006 at 03.27 am

Veerle:

I can’t vouch for speed but probably the cheapest way to go is Zoom Airlines from Paris to Vancouver. I know nothing about this route but I do know that Zoom offers ridiculously cheap flights to the UK from Canada.

Steve

permalink this comment Grant Palin Tue Nov 14, 2006 at 04.31 am

I’m already registered to go!  I live not too far from Vancouver, so it’s an opportunity (my first!) to attend a web developer’s conference.  I’m sure looking forward to it.

permalink this comment vanni Tue Nov 14, 2006 at 04.47 am

i did note that you were coming over a few weeks back, but you “nixed’ my comments ;-) ... so let me welcome you once again! i have flown klm to and from amsterdam/vancouver many times. I would say it’s your best option. you fly out of amsterdam at 2;30 - 3:30 and arrive vancouver same day at 5:00pm. nice flight.  PS it’s snowing in van at the moment and whistler is also covered in the white stuff. ciao see you soon.

permalink this comment vanni Tue Nov 14, 2006 at 05.03 am

...and yes let me add to the other comments about zoom airlines… they do offer some great rates.

permalink this comment Roger Tue Nov 14, 2006 at 06.32 am

I’m not sure what Vanni is talking about, it’s 10C in Vancouver. Raining yes, snowing no.

Whistler on the other hand is getting some good early season snow.

permalink this comment Luc Van Braekel Tue Nov 14, 2006 at 07.01 am

A 2-way flight with KLM from Brussels to Vancouver with one stop in Amsterdam will cost you 748,57 euro, all taxes included.

There are many other options, even cheaper ones (starting at 570 euro).  Try travelocity.com, select the “+/- 1 to 3 days” option to find the cheapest dates to fly.

permalink this comment vanni Tue Nov 14, 2006 at 07.04 am

Roger- meant to say Grouse Mountain. Noth Van. ;-)

permalink this comment John A. Davis Tue Nov 14, 2006 at 09.17 pm

Hi Veerle,
Make sure you do a “pre-season ski workout” starting a couple months before going. A lot of gyms offer this as a program. Skiing always used to make my legs burn and I had no fun even though I had the ability to go down steeper slopes. A fried told me about always starting out before a ski season by doing targeted exercises at the gym. Now, in the last 3 years that I have been doing this, I seem to always have fun and I have started going skiing more often.

permalink this comment Sander Thu Nov 16, 2006 at 06.06 pm

I actually booked my flight to Vancouver for this the other day. €635 including taxes with KLM (booked at their website; staying a few days before and after to see the city).
I’ve reluctantly decided to skip out on the skiing (never done any; was thinking I’d like to learn and this’d be a good opportunity, but between lack of equipment and what to do with gadgets it’s a bit too much of a hassle). At least I know there’s plenty to see and do in Vancouver itself, and I _really_ need to do more travelling again. (Did a 2.5 year backpacking trip, and it’s still hard going to regular life.) :)

permalink this comment henrik Fri Nov 17, 2006 at 03.23 am

Sounds like one you don’t want to miss. Hope I get the opportunity to go there.

permalink this comment BillyWarhol Fri Dec 1, 2006 at 08.46 am

i haven’t been to Vancouver since Expo ‘86 but it is gorgeous & the people are so friendly!!

U will have a great time & if U get up to Whistler for Skiing it is awesome!!

Have Fun!!