Mar 14

SXSWi geeks gathering

2008 at 03.33 pm posted by Veerle Pieters

So I left Austin and arrived in New York safely for the last days of our US trip. It has been a little weird compared to previous years because the weather wasn’t that great in Austin. Most of the days had wind, some rain and Cindy even saw a tornado!

No Summer joy

I was really looking forward to enjoy some sunshine to get rid of the cold I had. Only the last day was nice and warm and cozy enough to lay on the grass around the conference center. Now that we are in cold NY the weather in Austin is nice, sigh.

SXSWi

The conference itself has grown even bigger then last year. It's the largest one I have ever been to. That's not always for the better because some of the coziness that made it what it was is gone. I still had fun with the unexpected turnouts and it was so great to see many friends again. I went to a few sessions and one of them was the sneak peak of ExpressionEngine 2.0 which I will talk about later here. If you are interested in following along with what was going on at SXSWi you can watch a video or audio from most sessions. They are gradually coming online. Another funny thing that became popular during the event is bixbyheart.com, an iPhone application that also works in Safari. It's about our friend Mark and his love for bacon :)

feed Mark some bacon

One of the more memorable moments was Jon Hicks being reunited with the flat Hicks version and getting branded underwear :)

Jon launches Hicks branded underwear

At the screen burn arcade I managed to capture Master Chief playing Guitar Hero :)

Master Chief playing Guitar Hero

It's about the people

Most other good times are about being surrounded by like minded people and having great conversations. We had dinner a few times with the *original* Mint inventor and not that lame bank thing that couldn't come up with their own original name. I've tried many new things I've never eaten before etc.

SXSW swag bags

Greg's "I draw pictures all day" notebook

Craig Cook

Mark Bixby

Dan Mall + girlfriend

SXSWi 2008

Girl talk :)

Geeks love Bowling

One of the funnier events was Geeks Love Bowling. Cindy (and the N’clud guys) set this up after the event almost didn't went through. Started only at the end of January she did an awesome job in making this a free event for everyone on the 52 teams/lanes. Yeah you did read it right, 52 teams and a full house. One of the prizes you could win was Office 2008 for Mac and I also enjoyed the branded M&M's :) You can see a few picts below.

Geeks love bowling

Geeks love bowling

Geeks love bowling

New York

The last few days of our trip we are spending in the Big Apple. Should be fun and I'm sure there will be many pictures coming as well.

permalink this comment drew kora Fri Mar 14, 2008 at 03.59 pm

Austin’s a cool city. I was there for a conference a few years ago and had a great time. Did you do the bat bridge thing? Touristy, yeah, but very cool.

permalink this comment Aaron Fri Mar 14, 2008 at 04.07 pm

I won a copy of Office 2008 from bowling. Too bad it was a copy of Office 2008…

permalink this comment Scott Fri Mar 14, 2008 at 05.14 pm

It was great to see both you and Geert again this year. More good memories, laughs and bowling fun. Next year though we should maybe practice a bit. And we need jerseys for the team!

permalink this comment chris Fri Mar 14, 2008 at 06.28 pm

those m&ms;are really cool!

permalink this comment Jake Fri Mar 14, 2008 at 07.04 pm

Thanks for the BixbyHeart nod Veerle, see you next year :)

permalink this comment Mark Fri Mar 14, 2008 at 07.07 pm

It was so great to spend time with you two again this year. Hope you have lots of fun in New York, and a safe trip home! :)

permalink this comment Cindy Li Fri Mar 14, 2008 at 07.23 pm

:) I miss you guys!

permalink this comment Fubiz Fri Mar 14, 2008 at 07.52 pm

Very nice review!

permalink this comment AsceticMonk Sat Mar 15, 2008 at 12.10 am

Thanks for the post! Love all the photos, and looking forward to more from the Big Apple!

permalink this comment Ressa Sun Mar 16, 2008 at 01.54 am

Veerle,
I loved your SXSW recap. Wish I could have gone this year.

Don’t forget to see Spamalot while you are in NYC!

permalink this comment Greg Sun Mar 16, 2008 at 07.03 am

This years SWSX was one of the best ever, looking forward to going next year and seeing yo uthere.

permalink this comment Matt Radel Sun Mar 16, 2008 at 05.38 pm

Great pics! Thanks for sharing. Master Chief on Guitar Hero is my fave.  :)

permalink this comment Karl Hardisty Sun Mar 16, 2008 at 09.47 pm

I love the M&Ms;too!  Office 2008 isn’t a bad prize (unless you use macros, that is…).  Looks like a lot of fun was had by all :-)

permalink this comment Andreas Beierl Mon Mar 17, 2008 at 02.04 pm

This are great photos. What camera do you have?

permalink this comment semmie Mon Mar 17, 2008 at 04.46 pm

i also saw a tornado two weeks ago in Florida. It isn’t funny at all

permalink this comment Amarilys Mon Mar 17, 2008 at 11.39 pm

What’s the camera you used for these pictures? I love the low light photos!

permalink this comment Veerle Tue Mar 18, 2008 at 12.33 am

Andreas Beierl said:

What camera do you have?

I am using a Nikon D50 with the kit lenses and a 50mm 1:1.4 D

permalink this comment Designer Tue Mar 18, 2008 at 11.19 am

What camera do you have?

I wanted to ask that exact same question! The photography is awesome. I was planning to buy a DSLR anyway. Can’t wait to get this one…

permalink this comment div^ Tue Mar 18, 2008 at 12.02 pm

Great review - I wish i could´ve been there too , but too bad i have school and live in Germany =[

and yeah .. nice pictures !

div^

permalink this comment lynne Tue Mar 18, 2008 at 04.14 pm

I am currently using the 10.2-MP D60 from nikon and it has to be the best camera I have ever owned. Sadly I have dropped a few times already but still working great. I was curious when I came to your page about your camera as well because I get those perfect pics back also. Looks like a great trip and pics.

permalink this comment The Ad Mad Wed Mar 19, 2008 at 01.56 am

Glad to know you’re having a good time
Enjoy the time off!

permalink this comment AndreyM Wed Mar 19, 2008 at 09.39 am

To have a rest with cool company is the best way to spend time! You are a great team!

permalink this comment Derek Russell Wed Mar 19, 2008 at 11.52 am

What post editing have you done to those photographs?They look really warm and vibrant!

Another tutorial perhaps on the process here? I loved your vintage effect tutorial. I would love to know what you have done to these pics.

permalink this comment Nevin Wed Mar 19, 2008 at 03.44 pm

It was great to meet and have multiple opportunities to talk with both of you (and a lot of others too!) at SXSW this year.  I know I am looking forward to next SXSW as well!  Enjoy New York, and a safe trip home.

permalink this comment Mike Thu Mar 27, 2008 at 10.43 am

I only use nikon, they’re great because they almost bounce when you drop them, much like a rugedised laptop.  If you are a professional photographer, you have to expect to drop now and again so it is always worth paying that little bit extra for something that bounces, it saves a lot of hassle and money in the long run!

permalink this comment gumail Wed Apr 2, 2008 at 03.04 pm

Hi Veerle. I’ve seen a video about Data Portability at SXSWi, what I think it’s amazing! I just want to share, and maybe if you were there, you can give us some words about this cool project!