Jun 11

The social factor of @media 2005

2005 at 12.30 pm posted by Veerle Pieters

Well, what can I say, I’m having a great time here. There is really too much to write about, it’s like my head is exploding right now ;-) I feel like I’m living on adrenaline the last couple of days. It’s so intense to have so much fun and meet all those people. The conference was really great on day one and the second day was even better. It was a bit of a rush to get on time.

But let me first address the social stuff so far. I had some terrific moments, even the shorter ones with interesting people. I talked to so many of them that it is hard to keep track of faces and names. But here are my impressions on how I underwent it all, not in any particular order of importance, but here we go. Not to sound like a feminist here but Molly Holzschlag did impress me a lot, talking about a strong, professional woman! She is a real inspiration and example and very warm person. She gave me such a good feeling. Never thought she was pleased to finally meet ME (?). Same goes for Douglas Bowman, my hero! Again he impressed me with the eye-candy of his slides and I felt out of my seat on day 2 when he said that there are stars among us. My name and blog popped up together with Roger Johansson and Faruk Ates, blushing Veerle got out of her seat to say “hi” to the crowd. What a moment there! Thanks so much Doug. Hope you arrived fine today in Copenhagen. Much respect man!

And it doesn’t stop there. I had the privilege to have breakfast with Denis Radenkovic and Jon Hicks, which has in my opinion a high teddy-bear hug factor (hope you don’t me saying this Jon ;-). You are a real joy to hang out with. Andy Budd has been the guardian angel of the whole trip for us. So thanks Andy B. If you ever come to Belgium just give me a call and I will try to be such a perfect host as you. Finally I certainty can’t forget mentioning Andy Clarke, the person I felt much related to because of his design background. He’s such a cool guy to talk to and his presentation was superb. Roger Johansson, the man who learned me so much lately, and his girlfriend of course were fun to hang out with. In fact, they both inspired me to visit Sweden some day.

The rising star Faruk Ates, Simon Collison (missed you at the javascript meeting), Jeremy Keith and his wife, Jeroen Coumans and Ellen, Richard Rutter, Derek Featherstone (love your party spirit btw), Joe Clark (who is such a comedian btw), Cindy Li (thanks for the great time we had), and others, they all left me an impression of feeling connected somehow. This stuff is so overwhelming. Hope we can meet again next year ;-)

A follow-up post will come shortly about the presentations that left an impression on me. Last but certainly not least, tons of photos will follow on my Flickr account when I’m back home.

permalink this comment Andy Budd Sat Jun 11, 2005 at 01.50 pm

Hi Veerle,

I just wanted too say that it was a great pleasure too hang out with you guys. See you in Austin :-)

permalink this comment Faruk Ateş Sat Jun 11, 2005 at 03.24 pm

It was a great pleasure and honor to meet you, Veerle. I thought it was just too funny that we all met up in the hotel lobby in such a brief time period, after the three of us posted Going to @media-posts and all. :)

Again, it was great meeting you and I hope we’ll meet again, for sure. There were many things I wanted to discuss with you about design (as you’re such a good source of inspiration for me) but I got too wrapped up in talking with the speakers, I’m afraid. Another time then, right? :)

permalink this comment Dileno Sat Jun 11, 2005 at 03.36 pm

Well, @media seems to have been a great event.. Great people behind great sites gathered at one place can only turn out to be positive! :)

permalink this comment Doug Sat Jun 11, 2005 at 04.06 pm

I’m really glad I got a chance to meet you Veerle, and that we at least had a couple brief opportunities to talk. Hope I didn’t put you on the spot too much on day 2, but it really was appropriate, given the subject matter of my presentation, that the audience at least be familiar with a few more of you and your work.

If you ever make it to San Francisco again, be sure to let me know.

permalink this comment Colly Sat Jun 11, 2005 at 05.24 pm

A pleasure to meet you both. Fleeting moments, but great all the same. Here’s to doing it all again soon, somewhere…

permalink this comment Malarkey Sat Jun 11, 2005 at 05.32 pm

Great to meet you at last. Can I come and sharpen your pencils? :)

permalink this comment Derek Featherstone Sat Jun 11, 2005 at 06.14 pm

Veerle - so glad to have met you… looking forward to seeing you again!

permalink this comment Molly E. Holzschlag Sat Jun 11, 2005 at 06.14 pm

Veerle, it was a pleasure to meet you.  Thank you for your great contributions, wonderful spirit and of course your very kind words about me.  I know our paths will cross again someday, and I look forward to it with pleasure.

permalink this comment patrick h. lauke Sat Jun 11, 2005 at 06.40 pm

great to meet you - and thanks for patiently tutoring me in how do i pronounce your name :)

permalink this comment Dave Jeffery Sat Jun 11, 2005 at 08.07 pm

Can’t wait for those photo’s Veerle, it’s great to see such a talented bunch of like-minded individuals get together.
Since Patrick brought it up, how is your name pronounced? Everytime I read your name I pronounce it ‘verl’ (as in perl but with a v), not sure if that’s right though?

permalink this comment Rea Sat Jun 11, 2005 at 10.49 pm

Sounds like it was great! Can’t wait to see your pictures. Have a safe trip home. :o)

permalink this comment erwin Sun Jun 12, 2005 at 05.19 am

Well Veerle it sounds like you made it and have become one of the “crème de la crème” people in webdesign (Guru sounds too geeky). I hope you let us in on all the wondefull things that happened (related to webdesign) and with lots of nice pics ;). It would be kinda cool not only to know what makes a web site tick but also who makes it tick.

I see there is still trouble with pronouncing your name. The problem is there is no real equivalent in English for that Dutch vowel sound. I think the closest vowel sound that it resembles would be somewhere between the e as in the english word electric and the é as in French word résistance.

permalink this comment Mark Boulton Sun Jun 12, 2005 at 05.34 am

Great to meet you at last Veerle, if very fleeting, hopefully our paths will cross again soon…

permalink this comment Lode Sun Jun 12, 2005 at 07.50 am

I’d thought I help the English readers out on how to pronounce Veerle’s name, here you go:

Click here to hear the dutch pronounciation

@bittered
As you can hear, it’s nowhere near ‘perl’. My name is Lode, and as with Veerle’s name, the last ‘e’ is pronounced! ;)

permalink this comment Jeroen Coumans Sun Jun 12, 2005 at 10.45 am

Hi Veerle, I had a real blast meeting you and was much impressed by your modesty. Thanks for the great chat.

permalink this comment Denis Radenkovic Sun Jun 12, 2005 at 12.20 pm

I had great time in those two days and it was a real pleasure to meet you both!

permalink this comment Roger Johansson Sun Jun 12, 2005 at 01.25 pm

Veerle, we (my girlfriend and I) both loved hanging out with you and Geert. Promise you’ll contact me if you’re coming to Sweden - we’d have to meet up somewhere.

permalink this comment Peter J.Lambert Sun Jun 12, 2005 at 01.46 pm

Lovely to have met you Veerle, as briefly as it was and as hung-over as I was.

permalink this comment Veerle Sun Jun 12, 2005 at 03.17 pm

Thanks for passing by here and leaving your comment. I’m still in London btw, enjoying my last evening.

@Andy, yes who knows, would be great! Btw I had another great day here in London and made it to the Apple Store. What an impressive store and so many people! There was a line of people waiting to get in and that did attract some attention ;-) Bought some colored socks for my iPod Mini.

@Doug, I sure will. San Francisco is such a great city. I heard about your dancing talent from Cindy Li. I remember when I hang around the university of Berkeley that there were some people dancing there on music from the 40ies 50ies. That was nice to see and I wished I could dance like that. It was fun watching them.

@Molly, that would be so great.

@Malarkey, but of course you can, please do :-) BTW you left your target sign behind in London, I’ll mail it when I get home.

@Derek Featherstone, I find you a very cool guy and fun to talk to. Hope you had a great day in Brighton today and a save trip back home.

@Mark and Colly, I hardly speak to you both. 2 days are too short. I would have loved to spend more time to talk to exchange some thoughts on Expression Engine and other stuff.

@Lode, thanks for the big help here. It seems that whenever I try to explain I actually make it more confusing. Your sound file is absolutely perfect.

@Patrick H. Lauke, I didn’t remember your name but do remember the chat we had. I’m better at remembering faces. Thanks for the drinks btw :-) Glad you dropped by and refreshed my memory.

@Peter J.Lambert, thanks for leaving a comment here. I didn’t know your name, but enjoyed your company even if it was very short and in early morning painful circumstances ;-)

@Jeroen, it was great talking to you too. Hope Ellen isn’t too sick btw, it was a cold night.

@Denis Radenkovic, likewise and keep up the good logo work ;-)

@Roger Johansson, I’ll keep it in mind, would be fun ;-)

permalink this comment Mearso Mon Jun 13, 2005 at 01.39 am

Hi Veerle

I too had a great time

I’ll say now what I was too shy to say at the conference - cheers for all the tutorials and articles on your site.

permalink this comment Jeremy Keith Mon Jun 13, 2005 at 02.41 am

Veerle, it really was an absolutely pleasure hanging out with you. I really enjoyed our stroll through the Borough Market - it was like a fairy-tale version of London from a Hugh Grant movie, wasn’t it?

Can’t wait to see you again… South by SouthWest, @media 2006, whenever.

permalink this comment David Roessli Mon Jun 13, 2005 at 08.09 am

Hello Veerle,

When Douglas Bowman pointed you out on Friday, I made sure to come up and say hello, but it didn’t quite turn out that way. I’ll try and do better next time around. Until then, it’s just cool to know we were attending the same conference.

Keep up the good work - one way anonymous cheers.

permalink this comment Zach Mon Jun 13, 2005 at 03.34 pm

Great to meet you and Geert. :)

Have updated my blog :)

permalink this comment Richard Rutter Wed Jun 15, 2005 at 08.07 am

Hi Veerle, it was good fun meeting you. Sorry we didn’t get a chance to chat more. I managed to talk at length to your boyfriend though (nice guy, sorry his name escapes me). Funny how these things work out. Maybe see you at @media next year, if not sooner.