Jul 29

Using Text Wrap in combination with the Area Type Tool in a compound shape in Illustrator

2009 at 04.41 pm posted by Veerle Pieters

One of the requests I received lately was how you can flow text into a compound shape. To flow text into a shape you use the Area Type tool, but this doesn’t work for compound shapes. In this screencast I show you a workaround to this problem.

What we will create

As you can see the heart shape is a compound path as there is a gap in the middle.

The screencast

If you combine this with the Text Wrap feature, by wrapping the text around the smaller heart we can solve this problem. Then of course we also need to make sure the gap is remained. Let me show you how you can do this...

Enjoy ;)

permalink this comment Tal Drori Wed Jul 29, 2009 at 07.06 pm

I really like this tut!
it is very very usefull!
Thanks a lot!

permalink this comment Ron Wed Jul 29, 2009 at 11.50 pm

Very nice, thank you.

permalink this comment Niki Brown Thu Jul 30, 2009 at 12.07 am

Wow…i never thought about wrapping the text around the inner shape. Great tutorial and solution to a problem that I think many designers run into!

Thank you!

permalink this comment Derek Thu Jul 30, 2009 at 05.58 am

Awesome effect; I like how you’re doing more videos to explain how you do these kinds of things. Good work!

permalink this comment socialtalker Thu Jul 30, 2009 at 06.11 am

Terrific, as usual, thanks so much!

permalink this comment Bircan Tuner Thu Jul 30, 2009 at 08.57 am

Thanks a lot Veerle…Great Tutorial!

permalink this comment kaos Thu Jul 30, 2009 at 12.23 pm

I prefer the text+pics versions rather than the videos… Makes it easier to backtrack and study in depth.

But I do enjoy your little musings, giggles and “oops’es” ;-)

permalink this comment Henk Thu Jul 30, 2009 at 03.05 pm

Very good. You always make complicated things so simple to understand. Thanks a lot.

permalink this comment Francois Carstens Thu Jul 30, 2009 at 09.32 pm

Wow Veerle, your tuts are always so simple and understandable. Thanks! I have a “related” question…

If you have a a point with one handle how do you add another handle WITHOUT changing the curve? The only way I know is using the Pen tool with ALT, but that either flattens the point to no handles, or ads two handles and throws the curve out.

permalink this comment Sam Fri Jul 31, 2009 at 11.46 am

Thanks so much for this Veerle, the new video tutorials are fantastic.

permalink this comment Veerle Pieters Fri Jul 31, 2009 at 03.28 pm

Thank you for commenting. Happy to hear you like it :)

Francois Carstens said:

If you have a point with one handle how do you add another handle WITHOUT changing the curve? The only way I know is using the Pen tool with ALT, but that either flattens the point to no handles, or ads two handles and throws the curve out.

I’m afraid holding down the Alt/Otption key while click dragging is the only way. Of course if you do that you create a curved point. To maintain a smooth bezier curve you need to make sure you drag this second handle in the exact (180°) opposite direction of the 1st handle. In other words the 2 handles together should form 1 straight line. Unless of course you want such corner. I only use this method if my intention is to create a corner otherwise chances are that your curve has small hickups. I usually edit my handles after (or during) I’ve drawn the path segment. By holding down the Command key I reduce or enlarge the length of the handle or I reposition the point or change the direction of the handle a bit. I also try to draw a path with as less points as possible, which means that I sometimes add a point afterwards if needed.

permalink this comment michelle Sat Aug 1, 2009 at 08.48 pm

totally cool post I really like it, thanks :)

permalink this comment Thomas Sun Aug 2, 2009 at 05.44 pm

Very usefull tutorial! Have been searching for this one time but couldn’t figure it out. Thanks a lot!

permalink this comment Francois Carstens Sun Aug 2, 2009 at 07.41 pm

@Veerle: Well, thanks! I guess I’ll just have to be more patient. Like a friend of mine always says; Speed is a by-product.

permalink this comment Timmy Sun Aug 2, 2009 at 08.25 pm

What a lovely heart! A good idea to make a surpise for your girlfriend or friend on next valentines day :)

permalink this comment Palksueto Tue Aug 4, 2009 at 07.48 am

excelente tutorial!!! 5 stars!!

permalink this comment Peter Tue Aug 4, 2009 at 10.24 am

I’m loving your new video tutorials, they are very easy to follow, big thumbs up.

permalink this comment Christopher Lin Wed Aug 5, 2009 at 08.01 pm

This is perfect for wedding invitations and thank you cards for our photography studio.  Thanks for the post!

permalink this comment George Probst Wed Aug 12, 2009 at 04.45 pm

Thanks for, yet again, teaching me something new.