Feb 22

Winners of the What is Graphic design poster competition

2008 at 11.47 am posted by Veerle Pieters

The moment of truth is finally here! I’m ready to announce who is in for a prize. This wasn’t easy, as you’ve seen in my previous post there are a lot of great entries in this pool. I’ve picked a bunch of favorites let them rest for a bit and came back to them and made my final decision.

Here are the winners

I'm not going to kill the suspense any longer, here they are:

1st Prize
  • Adobe Creative Suite CS3 Design Premium or CS3 Web Premium or CS3 Production Premium (winner's choice)
  • Adobe Kuler t-shirt

Juanma Teixidó

And you can take that to the bank

2nd Prize
  • iPod Nano Red donated by EllisLab
  • 1 annual online training account for 1 year from the Kelby Media Group
  • Adobe CS3 t-shirt

Gravitymachine

GraphicDesignIs.jpg

3rd prize

my way home

graphic design is...

4th prize

ksteed

Intentional Collection of Pixels

5th prize

presentday

Graphic design is what we see.

6th prize

Two Fish Illustration & Design

What is Graphic Design? Poster

7th prize
  • an Apress book or eBook (winner's choice)
  • 6 month - Shared Hosting S-3 plans ($40/month plan) by EngineHosting

rwarne

Juicy Design

8th prize
  • 6 month - Shared Hosting S-3 plans ($40/month plan) by EngineHosting
  • Adobe Kuler t-shirt

Ale?!

Graphic Design was here before pixels

9th prize

glenrcraig

whatisgraphicdesign1

10th prize

Gage Batubara

Graphic Design is

11th prize

Grizzly!

Thinking Made Visual

12th prize

iFernando

My poster on 'What is graphic design?'

13th prize

sursly

Graphic design is...

14th prize

Greet D

Graphic design

15th prize

Dan Mall

What is graphic design?

That's it! Congrats to the winners and thanks to everyone else for making this such a blast!

The Flickr pool is back open

I opened the pool again too for anybody who feels like playing a little more. Only rule is to stick to what the contest was about. Any other non related work will be deleted as I want to keep this pool as a source of inspiration to what is graphic design.

Mail me your details

To all the winners please email me you full name, address, phone number (needed for courier) etc and the T-shirt size for those who won one to veerle at duoh dot com. Please be clear in who you are and what you won as some don't use their real name. I don't want to have to go look who is who :) Thanks.

permalink this comment Piotr Fri Feb 22, 2008 at 11.53 am

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! Mine is the 5th! :D Thank you!!!!!

permalink this comment Flokke Fri Feb 22, 2008 at 12.06 pm

Congratulations to all winners!
This was a VERY NICE initiative…

permalink this comment Drew Kora Fri Feb 22, 2008 at 12.49 pm

Wow….I got 2nd place!!! (I’m gravityachine) I’m honored to get that against such stiff competition. You guys were all really really good.

Thanks Veerle for the competition and for choosing my design. Thanks to everyone who left nice comments on my poster. And thanks to the sponsors for submitting such cool prizes.

....sweet! I got a nano!!

permalink this comment clun Fri Feb 22, 2008 at 12.50 pm

Congratulations and respect to all winners :-) Great competition

permalink this comment Peter Cuhalev Fri Feb 22, 2008 at 12.51 pm

Groovy, thumbs up to all the winners. I’d say that even most of the other entries are waaay above the usual level of lateral thinking and engage the viewer :)

permalink this comment Piotr Fri Feb 22, 2008 at 01.14 pm

Question about the t-shirts? Can we leave you some info about preferable sizes? ;-)

permalink this comment Oliver aka my way home Fri Feb 22, 2008 at 01.15 pm

OMG! Didn’t even think about winning something here!

Thank you veerle for this awsome contest! Was a pleasure to participate and finish on 3rd place is a blast!

All the best from germany,
Oliver

permalink this comment Veerle Fri Feb 22, 2008 at 01.24 pm

Piotr said:

Good call :) Put that in the mail as well (preferred) or leave it here in the comments. I’ve updated the post to reflect that info as well thanks :)

permalink this comment bene Fri Feb 22, 2008 at 01.42 pm

Congratulations to the winners! I think the results are fabulous! Well done.

permalink this comment Fernando Lins Fri Feb 22, 2008 at 01.53 pm

permalink this comment Ale Fri Feb 22, 2008 at 02.21 pm

Thanks a lot Veerle!

So happy to see my pixels up there ;)
I’m sending you a mail right now.

Congrats to all the winners and everyone who joined the competition!

permalink this comment Juanma Teixidó Fri Feb 22, 2008 at 02.33 pm

OMG OMG OMG! I WON 1ST. PLACE!

I really can’t believe it!

Thank you so much V for taking the time and putting so much effort on making such a great and fun contest. Really, I don’t know how you found the time between pain-in-the-neck Spanish clients and painting the house :)

Also, thank you to all who participated, and congratulations to the other Winners!

PS: GRACIAS!

permalink this comment hank Fri Feb 22, 2008 at 03.18 pm

In my opinion the first one is too much James White.

permalink this comment Adrian Fri Feb 22, 2008 at 03.35 pm

A very impressive set of designs. Congrats to all participants and winners. Kudos to Veerle for putting on such an event.

permalink this comment Jan Fri Feb 22, 2008 at 03.45 pm

Wow. Now that’s graphic design!

permalink this comment kyle Fri Feb 22, 2008 at 03.49 pm

WOW! Thank you Veerle so much for this opportunity. I can’t believe I won forth place. It feels like such an honor. I will definitely be sending you my info for the courier. Congratulations to all the other winners and can’t wait to see what the next competition will focus on. Take care.

-ksd-

permalink this comment Fubiz™ Fri Feb 22, 2008 at 03.50 pm

In love with the 9th !

permalink this comment Jin Y Fri Feb 22, 2008 at 04.01 pm

my fav out of these winning entries is #15. i like designs that are subtle and clever, rather than in-your-face.

permalink this comment David Airey Fri Feb 22, 2008 at 04.02 pm

Excellent selection! I really enjoyed looking through the winners. Thanks very much for hosting this.

permalink this comment Piotr Fri Feb 22, 2008 at 04.06 pm

hank said:

In my opinion the first one is too much James White.

In my opinion it’s not.

Fernando Lins said:

This initiative was really nice, and I was excited about this competition, but boy oh boy, the results are so very disappointing. “Graphic Design is about doing it right”? “is surprising”? “is about colors, fonts and shapes”? Can you be more vague, or wrong? However, I won’t blame Veerle for picking these, I saw them all on Flickr, there’s even more absurd stuff there… it just saddens me. Congratulations to all who made it out of the obvious and ignorant statements and won (#1 and #5), you guys deserved it.

I can’t agree with you more. Yet still, it was a great competition. Had a lot of fun and that’s the most important thing I guess..

permalink this comment Valentina Fri Feb 22, 2008 at 04.09 pm

Yay!! 7th! This totally came as a surprise! Thanks!

permalink this comment Erika Fri Feb 22, 2008 at 04.17 pm

Congratulations winners! Very impressive!

permalink this comment Craig Fri Feb 22, 2008 at 04.18 pm

Congratulations to the winners, excellent competition, much love

permalink this comment Hannes Fri Feb 22, 2008 at 05.06 pm

Wow, freaking amazing!

It woult be awesome to see some of them printed poster-sized. I´d definately get one or two of em to beautify my walls.!!

permalink this comment Manuel Martensen Fri Feb 22, 2008 at 05.49 pm

Congratulations everybody! And i mean everybody, because it was great to participate and it was a huge inspirational kick.

Veerle, thank you for coming up with this and for being our host.

I sure will participate in 2009 as well ;)

permalink this comment simon Fri Feb 22, 2008 at 06.14 pm

The 5th idea is the best, and should have won!

permalink this comment iFernando Fri Feb 22, 2008 at 06.25 pm

Thanks to Veerle and congratulations to everybody!

I already sent my email but I forgot to mention that I want a “L” (large) t-shirt :)

permalink this comment bookladyjenn Fri Feb 22, 2008 at 06.29 pm

Congrats everyone!

permalink this comment Lisa Firke Fri Feb 22, 2008 at 06.33 pm

I loved seeing what everyone produced. Thanks, again, Veerle, for providing such nice opportunity for us all. To the winners—bravo!

permalink this comment Eric Tapley Fri Feb 22, 2008 at 07.38 pm

First of all, congratulations to everyone who put such time and effort into these pieces. This is a great idea and a great way to display the creativity in our community.

Second, what are the chances some (or all) of these could be made available as poster-sized prints for us to put in our offices and point to when clients as what “this graphic design thing is?”

permalink this comment Julian Schrader Fri Feb 22, 2008 at 07.50 pm

Very nice posters, wow. Would love to see some of them printed and hanging on my wall…

permalink this comment Beerzie Boy Fri Feb 22, 2008 at 07.51 pm

Beautiful and inspiring work here; all of it.

permalink this comment rudy Fri Feb 22, 2008 at 07.58 pm

Veerle,
The Arnhem Typeface is donated by Ourtype not FontShop.

permalink this comment Piotr Fri Feb 22, 2008 at 08.14 pm

Eric Tapley said:

I’d be more than happy to offer somebody a full-size poster print. I just have to check if anybody around would print something that big. I’m planning on printing a few of my posters for myself so if there is anyone else interested in I could order a couple of copies more and send to you.. If so.. let me know. You can find my contact info on my website.

permalink this comment Davor Fri Feb 22, 2008 at 08.17 pm

WOW!!! awesome selection!! Congratulations winners!!!!

permalink this comment Veerle Fri Feb 22, 2008 at 08.28 pm

rudy said:

Veerle, The Arnhem Typeface is donated by Ourtype not FontShop.

Oops sorry! I’ve adjusted the post.

Eric Tapley said:

That’s something that every designer has to decide by themselves if they allow that. I would love to do a group poster print but these things take time and knowledge, has to be CMYK, fonts have to be converted, needs to be high resolution etc. A huge task to set it up and I don’t have the time for that sorry.

permalink this comment ray Fri Feb 22, 2008 at 10.38 pm

congrats to the winner

permalink this comment Gand Sat Feb 23, 2008 at 12.54 am

This worth an exibition. See Video.

Download higher quality mov.

permalink this comment Dan Harris Sat Feb 23, 2008 at 12.59 am

CONGRATULATIONS! BRAVO! WELL DONE!~ May you all earn buckets of cash and respect while never having to WORK a day in your life!

permalink this comment James John Malcolm Sat Feb 23, 2008 at 03.45 am

Veerle, you picked some great winners! Congrats to all of them and major thanks to Veerle for creating and judging this competition!

permalink this comment eshark Sat Feb 23, 2008 at 03.51 am

Oh I’ve just missed another great competition… Congrats to all winners.
My favourite was the 5th place.

permalink this comment Haree | ഹരീ Sat Feb 23, 2008 at 04.29 am

Hi,
I too like to congratulate each and every winners…

Warm Regards
Haree

permalink this comment itchy Sat Feb 23, 2008 at 05.24 am

These are all absolutely outstanding, every one.

permalink this comment Andrew Sutherland Sat Feb 23, 2008 at 09.28 am

I’m a TA for a high school graphic design class, and the room is full of great movie posters. If we could buy these posters full size for the room, I’m sure we would in a second.

permalink this comment Galen King Sat Feb 23, 2008 at 09.50 am

Well done. What a great idea and, despite what some have said about the content, I think great examples of creative designs!

I also would love to see some of these made into posters!

permalink this comment Daniel Tyrrell Sat Feb 23, 2008 at 10.10 am

Congratulations to all the winners, there is some really good work…. There has been a lot of interest in printing posters. I can print posters upto A0 in size and also they can be laminated too if you wish. Click on my name at the top and that will link you to my website. There is no poster option on the website as yet but you can email me your requirements through the website.

permalink this comment Tom Sat Feb 23, 2008 at 10.15 am

very nice contest and my congratulations to all contributors. some are still stunning and are a great inspiration to me. V thank you for such a nice competition. i will practice alot in the next coming month to participate in 2009.

But is it possible to order some of the designs as wallpaper? pietr your offer is nice, i will contact you later this day.
design is making my day more beautiful!

permalink this comment Glen Craig Sat Feb 23, 2008 at 11.01 am

Well done to the winners, I particularly thought the 5th idea was innovative and well thought. I can’t believe I finished 9th amoung hundreds of strong designs.

Glen

permalink this comment Greet Sat Feb 23, 2008 at 12.17 pm

Omg, I’m still in shock XD

Didn’t see that coming at all!

Thanks so much, it’s an honor to be mentioned here :)

Congratulations to the other winners!

@Piotr: I’m interested too, how much would it cost?

permalink this comment superfreaks Sat Feb 23, 2008 at 12.43 pm

Damned ! Too late !

Here is my poster : http://matemute.deviantart.com/art/Brain-Study-Graphic-Designer-78103321

Very late…

permalink this comment John Beatty Sat Feb 23, 2008 at 01.14 pm

Any chance you could make these available at about twice the resolution? I’d love to add a bunch of them to the set of pictures my desktop rotates through my LCDs, which are 1600x1200…

Thanks.

permalink this comment Lea Sat Feb 23, 2008 at 02.11 pm

Wow, these are excellent. It must have been hard ranking them. Congrats everyone who entered and placed. :)

permalink this comment Paul McLaren Sat Feb 23, 2008 at 03.22 pm

Congratulations everybody!  Thanks for the contest Veerle!!  I cannot wait for the next one.

permalink this comment Piotr Sat Feb 23, 2008 at 04.00 pm

Fernando Lins, Glen Craig, Tom, eshark, simon : Thank you all for expressing your love to my poster :-) Please contact me if you’d like a full-sized print, I’ll be organizing something so we could all enjoy it on the walls in our offices :-)

permalink this comment Tom Sat Feb 23, 2008 at 09.40 pm

Can’t argue with the results. Well done everyone. I really enjoyed the competition as I’m quite new to it all. Lots of food for though.

permalink this comment piscator Sat Feb 23, 2008 at 09.53 pm

My congrats somehow got lost in cyberspace,so one more try:

Congratulations to the winners.

Veerle,thank you for the contest.

permalink this comment Barci Sun Feb 24, 2008 at 11.33 am

Congratulations to all the winners!! :) My favorite are: #6 and #1 :)

permalink this comment Demotivator Sun Feb 24, 2008 at 05.10 pm

Congrats to all winners. Too bad I wasnt able to visit this blog for long time because of busy schedule but anyway just better luck next time then.

permalink this comment Dan Mall Sun Feb 24, 2008 at 05.10 pm

Wow, thanks Veerle! I’m honored!

(My mailing details should be in your inbox.)

permalink this comment Greet Sun Feb 24, 2008 at 11.21 pm

@ Gand: I put the exhibition on YouTube, so that I could embed it on my blog.

permalink this comment Stelabouras Sun Feb 24, 2008 at 11.39 pm

WoW! Congrats to the winners! You can view a slideshow of all the contestants here.

permalink this comment jayhan Mon Feb 25, 2008 at 03.55 am

Thanks to all the winners! The posters are well designed, love this event. Ahh~~ hope to participate in the next event!

permalink this comment Sreehari Mon Feb 25, 2008 at 06.57 am

This is really awesome…..!!....:).....!!

permalink this comment Brandon J. Mon Feb 25, 2008 at 07.15 am

Great job to everyone.  Someday, I hope to be half as good as all the entries.

permalink this comment Sam Brown Mon Feb 25, 2008 at 09.35 am

Congrats to all the winners. Great picks Veerle.

permalink this comment azn man Mon Feb 25, 2008 at 02.36 pm

Very nice everyone.

permalink this comment cloud10 Mon Feb 25, 2008 at 03.57 pm

Congratulations winners! Every creation is so amazing… everyone deserves equal praise… you guys have given a new meaning to Graphic Design!

permalink this comment Julien Gomez Mon Feb 25, 2008 at 04.50 pm

Congratulations to everyone, all those posters are great!
But as there are poster, i wolud like to see then on my wall!!! :-)
any chance to have them? at least in high resolution picture so i will be able to order one on a poster online service?
i can pay for it by paypal or something like that ;-)

best regards,

Julien

contact: gomezjul(@)hotmail.com without ()

permalink this comment eric Tue Feb 26, 2008 at 06.33 pm

wow, amazing talent in this community…congrats Veerle on rocking the vote!

permalink this comment Jan Tue Feb 26, 2008 at 08.03 pm

Please, sell those posters. All of them. Create a merchline account or whatever. These great works need to live on walls.

permalink this comment Sean Hodge Tue Feb 26, 2008 at 09.19 pm

Way to run a hugely successful competition. Love the results. My fave are the watercolor letters. Not because it necessary communicates the concept the best, but its funny, original, and great design. Love it. Thx.

permalink this comment Daniel Tyrrell Tue Feb 26, 2008 at 10.37 pm

If anyone is interested in posters please contact me on dan@thecanvasloft.co.uk as we print posters to any size and you can also choose to have them laminated.

But please you do need to get permission to print if they are not your own work.

permalink this comment Phillip Wed Feb 27, 2008 at 01.41 am

The guys at Smashingmagazine totally stole half the thing ;-D

permalink this comment rwarne Wed Feb 27, 2008 at 03.05 am

I’m actually printing mine (7th) poster size. If anyone interested, just drop me a line :)

permalink this comment Tom Wed Feb 27, 2008 at 06.24 am

i´m in contact with piotr about his wonderful artwork printed as highresolution wallpaper.

i also would love to see some others on my wall in work and studio. so please do everything possible to make available for us. cant wait to see piotrs wallpaper on my wall

permalink this comment Christina Wed Feb 27, 2008 at 02.17 pm

Wow, cool contest! The whole pool of posters is great!
Congratulations to the winners :)

permalink this comment yen Thu Feb 28, 2008 at 04.13 am

omg, wat a big gift!!! i like them…when can i do like this?!? :((

permalink this comment jessica Rosenberg Thu Feb 28, 2008 at 05.08 pm

a lot of these posters look more like decoration or art. Isn’t graphic design about communicating a message? with no concept, it’s just pretty wallpaper.

permalink this comment Jacob S. Thu Feb 28, 2008 at 07.30 pm

Thanks Veerle for a fine contest - but perhaps more importantly - a forum for talking about a very interesting concept. 6th place is an honor among so many great entries.

I’m sorry some folks thought my concept fell short of the term Graphic Design (Fernando Lins, Piotr). I chose to not take the easier route and use an established definition, but to use my own struggles and growth as the context. For me, the battle between established graphic design principles (doing it “right”) and my need to do something new and unexpected - was an apt subject for the contest and I am happy with my entry.

Some of the negative responses are sad to me. Arrogance and pride are too much at home in the graphic design world. If anything we’ve discovered that the term means many things to many people in very different contexts.

I look forward to the next contest!

permalink this comment Crowther Fri Feb 29, 2008 at 05.23 pm

I agree with Jessica Rosenberg, Graphic design is about communicating a message through the use of visual clues. A lot of the entries submitted are just wall paper, eye candy or just dull!, and then using type to express what graphic design is. Graphic design is about idea’s and wit expressed visually, something sadly lacking in this pool.

permalink this comment jessica rosenberg Fri Feb 29, 2008 at 08.27 pm

I still think they are all beautiful, but maybe the title of the competition shouldnt have been graphic design? just a thought.

permalink this comment Mark Mon Mar 3, 2008 at 07.01 pm

Congratulations to them for receiving the well deserved award in the ‘What is Graphic design poster competition’. It’s humbling to surround yourself with so many great designers. Thank you Veerle for organizing such a great event!

permalink this comment Johannes Wed Mar 5, 2008 at 11.34 pm

Jessica & Crowther: Finally someone else that feels the same way.. Half of the winners lack concept and hardly communicate anything. Some of them are good though.

permalink this comment Juanma Teixidó Wed Mar 19, 2008 at 12.44 pm

Good morning!

I’m happy to announce that my Poster (1st. Place) is now available for purchase.

Its 18x24 and it was printed on a Super High Quality 100# Cover Glossy Paper with a satin varnish on top. In other words, it’s the shizniz!

New Images on Flickr

I ship worldwide and take Paypal. If you guys can’t do Paypal, contact me I’ll see what I can do.

Get it at the Shop