Jun 11

Non-scientific poll : do you give your HD a name?

2004 at 07.34 am posted by Veerle Pieters

I have this typical habit of giving my HD a personal name, and mostly I give it the code-name of the machine or a name from one of my favorite TV series etc. My new Apple PowerBook 17” is called Hammerhead, its actual code-name. Don’t they all have cool code-names? Take “Dark Star” for instance code-name for an Xserve G5, or the original PowerMac G4 was called Yikes! Here is full list for your inspiration ;-)

Some HD names

These are some of the names we use: Hammerhead, Dark Angel, our Airport Extreme is called SD6 (not that we’re bad…but SD6 is the bad alliance in the stunning TV series Alias), ... We always change its icon too, another habit I guess ;-)

So now I’m wondering if I’m alone in this. And is this only a Mac thing? Please post how yours is called and free me of this bugging curiosity :-D

permalink this comment ziepe Fri Jun 11, 2004 at 07.56 am

Neocortex II (Powerbook G4 - after crash)
Firefly (5 GB firewire HD)
Big Brother (160 GB firewire HD)
Goldorak (Dual G4)
Rincewind (iMac, purple edtn.)
Arcturus (Red firewire HD)
New Messiah (PPC 8500)
John Rambo (10 GB USB HD)

permalink this comment Damiel Fri Jun 11, 2004 at 08.17 am

Tower of Power ::  G4 Desktop
Funky Boss ::  first-generation iPod

permalink this comment Michel Vuijlsteke Fri Jun 11, 2004 at 08.18 am

Cthulhu (120 GB)
Nyarlathotep (120 GB)
Shub-Niggurath (120 GB)
Yog-Sothoth (80 GB)

(incidentally, I gave my parents’ cats the same names a few years ago :)

permalink this comment Brad Brooks Fri Jun 11, 2004 at 08.43 am

Hobbes: 160gb Main Drive 2x2 G5
Homer: 160gb second drive 2x2 G5
Bender: 120gb La Cie External F/W
Penfold: 250gb La Cie External F/W
Calvin: PowerBook G4
Marsu: Crappy old PC used for website testing.

All my drives are named after comics/cartoon characters…

permalink this comment travis Fri Jun 11, 2004 at 08.49 am

I’ve always given my hard drives names.  “Macintosh HD” just doesn’t do it for me.

Borg (the big one that seems to hold most everything)

On my Final Cut Pro machine (Stanley):

permalink this comment Tomas Fri Jun 11, 2004 at 08.53 am

My girlfriend’s iBook is called Spike, because we can’t get enough of Buffy, and she particularly likes Spike. I particularly love Buffy, all of it, I’ve been trying to think of a name from the Buffyverse to call my future PowerBook….

permalink this comment Geert Fri Jun 11, 2004 at 09.09 am

@Thomas: A few tips maybe if you like Buffy :-)

Anointed One, Sunnydale, Drusilla, Eyghon, Ovu Mobani, Osiris, Halfrek, Buffybot, Buffster…

permalink this comment Geoffrey Fri Jun 11, 2004 at 09.20 am

A hard drive without a name is so…sad.
Hard Drive: Elektra
Fire Wire Drive: Toshiro (after Mifune)

permalink this comment Erik Fri Jun 11, 2004 at 09.49 am

Main Drive: Calvin

I can’t stand looking at C: ... but then again, I come from a Mac based world, and have only recently been temporarily forced into slavery at a PC machine *shiver* :)

permalink this comment Halla Fri Jun 11, 2004 at 10.14 am

On my old pc:
12gb: Meeeep
160gb: Humungus fungus

The mac is still so new, but Borg or something like that would be fitting.

permalink this comment brian w Fri Jun 11, 2004 at 10.17 am

I’d say it’s definitely predominantly a Mac thing. My PowerBook’s name is Rory. My old Mac-clone tower was named Willow; I donated her to a friend for web browsing/emailing/chatting and she picked right up on the anthropomorphising, always referring to the computer as “she,” too.

permalink this comment Tomas Fri Jun 11, 2004 at 10.35 am

Geert: Thanks, I especially like Buffybot.

permalink this comment Alex Fri Jun 11, 2004 at 10.51 am

permalink this comment obiben Fri Jun 11, 2004 at 11.07 am

First: Mainframe
Second: Spinalchord

permalink this comment Lieve Fri Jun 11, 2004 at 11.27 am

My iBook’s drive is called “Sneeuwwitje” (Snowwhite)

permalink this comment shad Fri Jun 11, 2004 at 11.44 am

G4 Desktop: Potter
PowerBook G4: Nimbus 2000

Wife’s Compaq Laptop running Win98: Voldemorte

permalink this comment David Lundgren Fri Jun 11, 2004 at 12.20 pm

You’ll excuse the language, I hope, but my PB’s hard drive is Shitstorm, the external drive is Hellfire, and the thumb drive is Damnation!

permalink this comment NazT N8 Fri Jun 11, 2004 at 12.29 pm

Name your hard drive? How silly!

Then I started reading everyones post and now I want to name my HD. After long consideration (about 3 sec) I decided on Baby Gurl since I’m from the south and she’s my baby Dual G4 that I brag about.

I wonder if my girlfriend’s gonna be jealous?

permalink this comment NazT N8 Fri Jun 11, 2004 at 12.32 pm

Thanx for the inspiration.

And now my girlfriend is insanely jealous. She keeps giving the flat screen dirty looks.

permalink this comment Ram Yoga Fri Jun 11, 2004 at 01.34 pm

I don’t necessarily name all my harddrives with special names, although I always give them meaningful names, e.g. “System”, “Archive” and so forth. But I do give all the machines network names. In our household currently:
- Paragon (My G4 Powerbook)
- Sinequanon (My girlfriend’s HP laptop)
- Resurrectia (My resurrected WinXP-box)

permalink this comment Stephane Fri Jun 11, 2004 at 03.30 pm

Right now my iMac is called : Tahoe
My firewire drive is only FireWire.

I use to call my drive/partition with robot names from science fiction movies, like R2 D2, Colossus, Robbie, and other name I can’t remember.

I use to work at a place where every computer was a country, we would try to come up with stupid name for the people we didn’t really care for (they had to type the name to log-on the server. So one night, we came up with Boznia Herzegovina, Burkina Faso, Leichtenstein, Tajikistan but we had problem spelling them ;-) We ended up with a country that reminded us of the girl in question: Antartica.

As for Icons, it change too often, right now it’s from a set of color drive that I made based on the apple drive.

permalink this comment Curt Fri Jun 11, 2004 at 06.39 pm

I got really creative and named my harddrive HARDDRIVE. Definately could have gone for something a little cooler there. ;)

I have named computers in the past, though, so I understand the urge. ;)

permalink this comment benni Sat Jun 12, 2004 at 12.13 am

Used to have a FleetWood in my Classic & Performa machines; now I have Mac Nine (OS9-partition) and Ruby Wax in my desktop machine. No name yet for my PowerBook’s hard drive.

permalink this comment Andy J Sat Jun 12, 2004 at 03.55 am

Main HD: Itchy
Second HD: Scratchy

Funny enough, managed to get two racks called that at my last job :o)

permalink this comment Pariah Burke Sat Jun 12, 2004 at 08.43 am

Computer Name:  ImaginationBox
Main/Software HD:  Primary
Files/Docs HD:  Documents
Ext. Firewire Backup HD:  Safety Net
Ext. Firewire Media HD:  Juke Joint
Laptop:  Nomad
iPaq PDA:  Pocket Rocket

permalink this comment Eric d Sat Jun 12, 2004 at 10.36 am

boot partition: hot
mp3 partition: fresh

It’s a little homage to this song:

permalink this comment Peter Sat Jun 12, 2004 at 01.06 pm

I’m a big Cowboy Bebop   fan, so I named all of my personal computers and hard drives based on characters in the show.

QuickSilver G4: Bebop
Hard Drives: Jet, Ein

17” Powerbook: Swordfish
Hard Drive: Spike

We used apple codenames at work but switched because some individuals couldn’t remember names of given servers(had to go with names 4 -6 characters in length).

permalink this comment Stephane Sat Jun 12, 2004 at 09.55 pm

In my list above, I couldn’t remember one name, I was reading the other post ans saw it : Nomad, from a computer in the original series of Star Trek :-)

permalink this comment danhq Mon Jun 14, 2004 at 03.54 pm

“The Wasteland”

[from t.s. eliot’s the wasteland]

permalink this comment Dave Tue Jun 15, 2004 at 02.57 am

I name my computers after London Tube stations. RIght now I’ve got Southwark, Westminster, and Canary Wharf.

The hard drives (4 of them, split into 10 partitions, on Southwark) have boring descriptive names: System HD, Music HD, etc.

permalink this comment Christoph Wagner Thu Jul 1, 2004 at 04.20 am

Storage - every thing I download
Music 2 - ripped music
AppZ - My Applications

A friend of me is naming hers Zion and Babylon

permalink this comment H.Düker Fri Jul 2, 2004 at 03.08 am

permalink this comment anais Fri Jul 2, 2004 at 09.47 am

LISA (my frequently used files)
CANNES (movies & graphics & audio)
PARIS (work stuff)

I frequently change the names, depending on my mood. As you can see, I like to use City-Names and Simpsons-Character Names :).

It’s not just a mac-thing… It’s just that MAC makes it easier to change HD-names and also single Folder-Icons. For PC this is only possible since XP. Before XP I used special programms for that purpose.

permalink this comment Eric Mon Jul 5, 2004 at 02.23 am

Harddisc names?
simple and easy:
C: - System
D: - Files

permalink this comment si Tue Jul 6, 2004 at 12.20 pm

Backup Drives:
(the mars moons)

permalink this comment Ana di Luois Thu Jul 8, 2004 at 10.07 am

Hi I choose the name “Nervensäge” for my PC and “Zeugs” for the harddrive.
It’s like giving a name to the car…My PC, my car and my TV have their own souls…
The TV shuts up by himself if I leave the room for too long! It’s true, I swear.
My PC showes me when she’s tired, she starts to flip as if I have a virus!
And my car reacts on speaking to him.
When I say:” I’m gonna sell you!”
anything that went wrong works allright immideately.Yes, it’s true!

permalink this comment Ana di Lupis Thu Jul 8, 2004 at 10.09 am

Wrong spelling of my name…

permalink this comment John Mon Jul 19, 2004 at 09.59 am

I go with a Star Wars theme, and my hard drives are as follows:

C: (Tatooine)
D: (Chewbacca)
E: (Geonosis)

All my family’s computers are named, but we stick with the primary user’s name for the computer name for the sake of simplicity (John, is your machine “Fett” or “Hoth”?)

I originally took this whole idea from the world of Unix, where server admins named the machines on the network according to some theme or another. LOTR is popular, as are Greek gods, and planet names. The most complicated I’ve seen was a network named after Native American Tribes, but that network had hundreds of servers and workstations in place, so the admin needed a wide range of machine names to be consistent.

I’m now a Mac Weenie, though, brought over from the Dark Side, so the naming conventions I picked up back in 1996 was merely the first sign of my destiny :-)

permalink this comment michelle Fri Jul 23, 2004 at 10.28 am

i run an old G3 powerbook divided into five partitions—forgot exactly why i did that, but it made sense five years ago.

the boot partition is still called HD and contains only the system software, but the other four are named after cats (past and present): coco, lily, lazlo, and lucy. (the feline lucy has since been adopted out and renamed.)

the 160 gig external drive is just “wildcat.”

only one cat name left before i start in naming things after turtles…

permalink this comment ine Tue Aug 31, 2004 at 08.42 am

Pbook was Arthur, later renamed Juliette after upgrading from 9 to X -because woman are smarter… grin-
Firewire is Leon
New pbook is Pi, of infinity

permalink this comment e-man Sun Sep 12, 2004 at 06.18 pm

Mine are always called “Home Base”, has that nice Battlestar galactica feel to it ;-)

permalink this comment Gob Thu Sep 16, 2004 at 03.03 pm

C://—> Caryatid
D://—> Melnibone
E://—> Asgard

I’m on a PC. I guess naming drives has something to do with how much time one
spends with them and a desire to familiarise them with the real world, since most of it is just virtual. Paradoxically, as I read down the comments, and also my choice, it’s funny that most of the names are drawn from fantasy, fiction and folklore.

permalink this comment Darin Livdahl Thu Sep 23, 2004 at 11.33 am

I always name my drives after dogs that I have had in the past like Bruiser, Tashi and Corky. Bruiser and Tashi are no longer with us but they are memorialized in my two older iMacs at home. My current work machine hard drive is Corky which is also a very playful Irish Setter. Other partitions or even on my laptop I tend to use nicknames that I had when I was younger like puddlejumper and lemur.

permalink this comment Duncan Idaho Wed Sep 29, 2004 at 02.52 pm

Just found this site, thought I’d chime in, since, like you Veerle, I have always named my computer.

I use Windows XP. My PC’s name is:

Jemima, (A character from Cats, played by Veerle Casteleyn, a dancer from Belgium, and the reason I accidentally stumbled on this website hehehe). I made my own icon for the My Computer icon of the character Jemima, and have renamed My Computer to Jemima.

My 80 gig C drive is: Zohar

My D drive: Emulator

And E drive: KOS-MOS

(Those names come from a PS2 game called Xenosaga).

So you’re not alone, looks like a LOT of us personalize our PC’s. :)

permalink this comment nacho Sat Nov 13, 2004 at 01.33 pm

i like to name my airport (wifi) network like the national airport:

for hard disk names, very classic i must say:
macintosh hd : boot, applications, user folder
works hd : projects
scratch hd : mp3, downloads, ...

permalink this comment sebastian Wed Jan 12, 2005 at 02.11 am

As a used-to-be Mac-user I follow this habit on my Windows PC as well.
C: Calvin
D: Hobbes

permalink this comment jack Thu Jan 20, 2005 at 08.40 am

bad word warning!!!

c:/ whore
d:/ punter

c:/ tittytwister
e:/ viperroom

permalink this comment mixabit Mon Mar 21, 2005 at 06.29 am

C - Camberra
D - Dublin

X - Xeon
Y - Yokohama

permalink this comment PenguiN+ Sat Sep 24, 2005 at 04.31 am

I’m on a PC, my family name’s the HD’s by usage:

C: - Boot
D: - Apps
E: - Media

I can remember that my Dad named his laptop ‘Goldfish’, so then my brother named his ‘killer whale’.

permalink this comment Ludwig Wendzich Mon Apr 17, 2006 at 12.49 am

I always name my computers, my first laptop I called Micro, my PC I call Bytes and my second laptop I call Pixel.

I name the drives with names that makes sense (Like Documents, Applications etc)